Good health or a lot of money

To retiree in the Philippines:
The conclusion must be : You have to have a very good health or a lot of money.
Because if you are more than 60 it will be more and more difficult and more and more expensive to get a proper health insurance. Do you agree?

Merry Christmas everybody  :snowflakes:

smokey

Sure but what is life but a bunch of risk some of the richest people in the world die early

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Highlighter
3 hours ago, smokey said:

some of the richest people in the world die early

and some of the healthiest

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

So if you're not "rich" how can you afford health care where you come from? It's much cheaper here in the Phils and the quality of care, while not the best in the world is still good. You are also a short hop to Bangcock where they do have some of the best health care in the world at a small percentage of what you'd pay in the West.

Medical is so cheap some go Naked, (without insurance). I researched before coming here on a scenario of "what's the worst that could happen" and figured open heart surgery. In the Phils $30,000 US would cover surgery, hospital and a year of meds. It would cost me that out of pocket in the US.

In the US, the insurance companies and the pharmaceuticals companies run the medical system...it's no longer run by doctors. These 2 companies set the prices and I guarantee that neither will lose money...ever! That leaves the consummer to pay for it.

Before I retired I paid over $6000 US for my insurance with a $3000 deductible, 1Mil cap. so I had to spend $9000 before insurance kicked in. Even with my prescription plan drugs are cheaper, and most over the counter, here in the Phils.

Now...if you have a condition that requires urgent care I wouldn't suggest moving here but every situation is different. One size does not fit all. You have to evaluate your own health and finances and decide.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
1 minute ago, Dafey said:

You are also a short hop to Bangcock where they do have some of the best health care in the world at a small percentage of what you'd pay in the West.

"Bangcock"! A little freudian slip...:P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

oops! surprised spell checker...well...maybe it knows me too well ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Goetz1965

I can recommend a good insurance broker (hes german) - he sends you a huge list for comparison of many insurances worldwide.

7 hours ago, nostress said:

To retiree in the Philippines:
The conclusion must be : You have to have a very good health or a lot of money.
Because if you are more than 60 it will be more and more difficult and more and more expensive to get a proper health insurance. Do you agree?

Merry Christmas everybody  :snowflakes:

Nostress your gonna find that all that fast food and quick access to fast food, frozen meals and canned foods and rely on medications for every woe is what's killing you, I'm no doctor please don't take my advice but only my observation so after I retired here I lost 50 lbs and gave up those silly medications that are pushed constantly by the VA (vets) television and doctors.  

Another note after my first couple years I kept going to the Mom and Pop pharmacy for medications but that stopped also it's another form of sickness rely on medications unless absolutely necessary.

Edited by M.C.A.
  • Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey
44 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

I'm no doctor please don't take my advice

You may not be a doctor but that is good advice for anyone. In the West we are brought up thinking there is a pill for everything. Often it's your diet and exercise that contribute the lion's share to your health.

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, Dafey said:

You may not be a doctor but that is good advice for anyone. In the West we are brought up thinking there is a pill for everything. Often it's your diet and exercise that contribute the lion's share to your health.

1 hour ago, M.C.A. said:

Nostress your gonna find that all that fast food and quick access to fast food, frozen meals and canned foods and rely on medications for every woe is what's killing you, I'm no doctor please don't take my advice but only my observation so after I retired here I lost 50 lbs and gave up those silly medications that are pushed constantly by the VA (vets) television and doctors.  

Another note after my first couple years I kept going to the Mom and Pop pharmacy for medications but that stopped also it's another form of sickness rely on medications unless absolutely necessary.

Both very corrcet

Same for me, before I came, having read here about access to quality medical care on an emergency non-accident basis -  I took stock of my health to make sure I could do it (keep up with a younger partner).  A few changes needed.

Very lucky - only meds were minimum  - 5 Mg Lisinopril - precautionary high blood pressure due to age 67 (4 years ago) & weight, borderline for cholesterol and 83 Mg aspirin due to previous strokes. Also multivitamin for men 50+.

Talked to / examined by VA doc just before coming - could stop the cholesterol but said won't hurt to keep taking others even if lose more weight.

On the weight side was 103 Kg (225 Lbs) @ 174 Cm (5 - 8 1/2 ) at one time

Gave up an average of 4 L  beer, 1 Kg tortilla chips w/salsa, and 1 Kg of candy per week .:cry:

Got here was 86 Kg / 190 lbs

Then Charity moved in - not so many dinners at Ayala - home cooked meals most of the time - lots of fruit and veggies w/ rice of course - meat? (way less than before - given the quality here don't miss it) 

She thinks my 1 1/2 to 2 hours walks are too much (Filipino thinking?) but likes the results of the others.

This morning before breakfast down to 76.7 (169 Lbs) varies between 77 / 78 Kg - depends on previous day.

All in all, in better health here than in states and happier :dance2: now if I can just avoid getting run over by a car, motorcycle, jeepny, or attacked because I embarrassed a local I'll be OK.

Will never get of  the extra skin arms / waist from when very heavy.

These people are nuts

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 152.3 lbs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 151.9 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 155.9 lbs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 159.4 lbs

• Like 6
16 hours ago, Dafey said:

So if you're not "rich" how can you afford health care where you come from? It's much cheaper here in the Phils and the quality of care, while not the best in the world is still good. You are also a short hop to Bangcock where they do have some of the best health care in the world at a small percentage of what you'd pay in the West.

Medical is so cheap some go Naked, (without insurance). I researched before coming here on a scenario of "what's the worst that could happen" and figured open heart surgery. In the Phils $30,000 US would cover surgery, hospital and a year of meds. It would cost me that out of pocket in the US.

In the US, the insurance companies and the pharmaceuticals companies run the medical system...it's no longer run by doctors. These 2 companies set the prices and I guarantee that neither will lose money...ever! That leaves the consummer to pay for it.

Before I retired I paid over $6000 US for my insurance with a $3000 deductible, 1Mil cap. so I had to spend $9000 before insurance kicked in. Even with my prescription plan drugs are cheaper, and most over the counter, here in the Phils.

Now...if you have a condition that requires urgent care I wouldn't suggest moving here but every situation is different. One size does not fit all. You have to evaluate your own health and finances and decide.

I don't have to be "rich". In the Nordic countries it's "free". Paid trough taxes. You don't need a Health insurance here. You don't have to pay "out of pocket". You have to pay something for the medicine. But not full price. I know how the system in the US of A is. Not the same here. Anyway : A US man in the Phils who only have a pension of 800$ a month, and nothing else,  needed a heart surgery. Price : 800.000PHP. He did not have the money! Further more : He have to pay 100$ a month for medicine. To keep him self alive. I don't have any conditions but you never know when that can kick in. Anyway Dafey : Thx for reply and a Merry x-mas to you.  

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, nostress said:

I don't have to be "rich". In the Nordic countries it's "free". Paid trough taxes. You don't need a Health insurance here. You don't have to pay "out of pocket". You have to pay something for the medicine. But not full price.

I think that is how it works in most developed western countries.

btw @nostress what scandinavian country are you from ? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

I think that is how it works in most developed western countries.

btw @nostress what scandinavian country are you from ? 

Not all! But within most European countries ( European Union ). If you are a citizen of one EU country you can get at least a free emergency treatment in another EU country, if you have the blue EU-health insurance card.  I'm from Denmark but live in Sweden. No problems with visa here :) But I don't like the winters here. I move to a warmer country every winter.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, nostress said:

Not all! But within most European countries ( European Union ). If you are a citizen of one EU country you can get at least a free emergency treatment in another EU country, if you have the blue EU-health insurance card.  I'm from Denmark but live in Sweden. No problems with visa here :) But I don't like the winters here. I move to a warmer country every winter.

@nostress

Maybe you did not notice, under my signature picture you will see that I am from denmark

I have for the last 8 years live here in Cebu for 6 months during the winter, I do notlike winters either 

I have selected to take a normal travel insurance to be fully covered, it is not cheap

Canada & Australia have healthcare mostly like what they have in UK

3 minutes ago, Woolf said:

@nostress

Maybe you did not notice, under my signature picture you will see that I am from denmark

I have for the last 8 years live here in Cebu for 6 months during the winter, I do notlike winters either 

I have selected to take a normal travel insurance to be fully covered, it is not cheap

Canada & Australia have healthcare mostly like what they have in UK

I have noticed "Århus" or "Aarhus" as they prefer now. Yes! That's the problem. I can also see that they struggle with the health care insurance problems in for example Thailand. The older you are the more difficult and more expensive. Right, I visit a doctor and even an emergency in UK. No pay. I even did not have to pay for the prescription medicin at the pharmacy. Why not? Because I was over 60 ! No wounder they want to leave the EU. But nobody have ever asked them to be that generous. Canada = to cold. Australia = long flight. Not cheap. God Jul til dig !      :snowflakes: