Tropical Storm Vinta - Tembin

BossHog
6 hours ago, Tullioz said:

This storm will easily become a tropical storm by tomorrow evening if its not already.

Indeed. Upgraded overnight to a tropical storm. (International name Tembin: always a bit confusing)

1727-00.png

rb0-lalo (2).gif

LyJehax.gif

track (1).png

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BossHog

• JamesMusslewhite

• Tullioz

• Woolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm hoping this storm will be more merciful too, but based on the latest rainfall forecast it's looking like a repeat and possibly for the same areas that suffered in 2011. A lot of people are going t

Leaving Davao tonight at 18:30 bound for Cebu ,then at 00:45 Korea and then onward to good old USA....Fingers crossed

Vice Mayor Pulong Duterte - Official 47 mins ·  UPDATED| DAVAO FLOOD REPORTS ALL REQUESTS FOR RESCUE DULY NOTED.

Posted Images

• Administrator
Dafey
8 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

The hills, rivers and lowlands are the only real threat

Well that narrows it down...;)

Fortunately, this looks like a fast mover. Heavy rain but it won't sit and dump on the Philippines. Viet Nam should see the worst of it.

9 hours ago, BossHog said:

But I hope nobody's overly alarmed by this tropical depression

We have relatives in Ormoc that will come for the holiday...already freaking out. I told them Leyte probably will only get a sprinkle, (Mindinao's turn on this one), but come on over...let the party begin!!!

Good luck to all who are traveling for the holiday

• Like 1
BossHog
58 minutes ago, Dafey said:

(Mindinao's turn on this one)

Well, if anyone's feeling left out...looks like you'll get another chance to participate in the fun.

We had Urduja and now Vinta and sometime after Christmas and towards New Year we should expect Wilma.

Always happy to bring good news. HO Ho ho.

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Dafey
20 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Always happy to bring good news. HO Ho ho.

Oooohhh tidings of comfort and joy!

• Like 1
BossHog

Bohol now under signal #1 so all boats to and from Cebu canceled today.

• Like 1
liquido

Leaving Davao tonight at 18:30 bound for Cebu ,then at 00:45 Korea and then onward to good old USA....Fingers crossed

Edited by liquido
  • Like 2
Tullioz
16 hours ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Yes I mistakenly named the Pablo storm but it was the Washi storm I was talking about. It too hit close to the holidays and everyone was in the holiday mode meaning most managers and government officials were vacationing and all fire and rescue crews were operating on minimum personal. This made recovery much more difficult as it took time for the primary decision makers and crew workers to get back to their posts. I remember it had been early rains several weeks before the storm arrived just as it has done before this storm. That is why I commented that I hope this storm is more merciful. 

I'm hoping this storm will be more merciful too, but based on the latest rainfall forecast it's looking like a repeat and possibly for the same areas that suffered in 2011. A lot of people are going to see 8 to 10 inches of rain with isolated areas seeing over a foot which would be similar amounts to what fell with Washi. Most of this rain will fall in a six to eight hour period over any given location, so flash flooding and landslides will be a big problem if this forecast model ends up being correct. The heaviest rain will fall in the eastern half of Mindanao between now and 6am, and the western half between 6am and into the evening tomorrow. 

rainfall.jpg.582cde4e6576d1a46db301a980399b1d.jpg

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
BossHog

JMA has upped this to 50 knots so another upgrade.

Now Severe Tropical Storm Vinta

• Like 1
Tullioz

It looks like Tropical Storm Vinta is going to make land fall very close to the same place Typhoon Pablo did in 2012. This is a screenshot of the radar at about 230.

vinta.jpg.9db1cf93b1e334cdb6d88f131a6cdbdb.jpg

• Thanks 1
Tullioz

We didn't get a whole lot of rain here in Davao City overnight from Vinta, but there is a lot of runoff flowing into the Davao River from heavy rains upstream that is causing some major flooding at this time. There are a lot of evacuations taking place and many people are trapped in the second floors of their homes and on the rooftops in areas along the River.  The people were caught off guard because of the little rainfall that fell last night and today the weather was actually pretty nice with no rain at all from mid-morning into this evening. The water only started rising rapidly late this afternoon, and they are continuing to rise. The warning sirens have been going off in the Bucana area off and on for the past hour or so and there is a lot of emergency traffic on the streets.

Below are some pictures that have been posted on Facebook over the past hour or so: 

flood.jpg.d064d7fc4e534572a3259fec38630e29.jpgflood2.jpg.a5431d24e6bc158a56f1c60088eb55a2.jpgflood3.jpg.67ce92d3a5e20f1fd13f761551698e9d.jpgflood4.jpg.2ba219485a8414d08902b300df2878bc.jpgflood5.jpg.b68ff1343b94509b8cf699fc6bedb4ea.jpg

Even the President's Secretary Christopher Go is helping with water rescues. 

flood6.jpg.10150041868779a19895cb55a68758a3.jpg

Edited by Tullioz
  • Thanks 2
Davaoeno

UPDATED| DAVAO FLOOD REPORTS

ALL REQUESTS FOR RESCUE DULY NOTED.

JADE VALLEY —

Rescue teams deployed since 530 pm:
USAR T-1, Darcom, DFRS, PNP, PRC, React Madayaw, Aqua Tierra, Med II, Maritime Group, FCFF, Phil Navy, and Phil Coast Guard

DECA HOMES TIGATTO —

Rescue teams deployed since 9 pm:
USAR Rv1, Condor, Save, and Med-36

From Col. Nolasco Mempin of Task Force Davao:

We have dispatched rescue teams to San Rafael, Gravahan, UM area, Jade valley and Grand Mensing areas.

Rescue teams from Eastern Minadanao Command will also assist in the operations.

Since flood level in Lasang and Buhangin have already receded, responders from the said areas are now going to Juleville.

Bankerohan — As of 9 pm today, December 22, 2017, Bankerohan River overflowed affecting barangays 2-A, 5-A, 10-A, 19-A with floodwaters.

Evacuation in these areas are ongoing and assisted by Central 911 with Police Station 2 Search and Rescue personnel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
JamesMusslewhite

We had some wind and heavy rainfall here which caused a brownout, but power was eventually restored late this morning so we came through OK. I imagine folks in Butuan and CDO will have some issues with flooding for a few more days and I hope there were little incidences of mudslides. This tropical storm dropped a lot of rainfall but luckily it moved quickly across the island. When the ground is already saturated and rivers are already channeling the runoff of the previous rains, than even a mild tropical storm should not be taken too lightly. For a lot of people this proved to be a miserable holiday. 

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1
to_dave007

All business along the beach in Sipalay Negros closed early by mayors request last night, anticipating surge or waves at high tide last night.  No rain all night.  and I doubt the closures were necessary here.  Just being cautious I suppose.

• Thanks 1

Paseo del Rio area in CdO City

25659489_10212851744479921_3351861257985

Same area flooded under Sendong, so Paseo del Rio Mall and Hotel was stop back then

Water supply is down.. for the next 12 days, they say..

We dug a well, after Sendong, only 3 meter deep, but enough for garden and emergency