Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

Lola Makes an Emergency Visit

the.lone.gunman

One the way back the wife commented to me that Lola had a total of 7 people in attendance at the hospital, but when I was admitted June 30 this year for 10 days, I had only my wife helping me, 24 hours a day for 10 days. My wife's observation, not mine.  

Hats off to your wife, that was a long haul.

to_dave007
13 hours ago, the.lone.gunman said:

One the way back the wife commented to me that Lola had a total of 7 people in attendance at the hospital, but when I was admitted June 30 this year for 10 days, I had only my wife helping me, 24 hours a day for 10 days. My wife's observation, not mine.  

Hats off to your wife, that was a long haul.

Agree..  that wasn't lost on me..  There was a cot in the room with me.. so she could sleep.. but it was a tough 10 days for her.

• Like 2

RogerDat

Was in that situation for 15 days in Manila in Feb, poor wife, and no mahjong anywhere in the hospital.

Room for Lola in your house?

Headshot

Been there, done that. Luckily it seems to be working out for your wife's lola. I suspect that she has seven attendants only because somebody else's peso is feeding them while they are there. Plus, being an old Filipina matriarch, she is revered. You, on the other hand, are obviously NOT that revered ... hence the fact that your wife was alone in her care of you when you were in the hospital. I'm guessing that you WILL remember that when one of those relatives get sick and needs help.

When I went into the hospital in 2015 for Dengue Fever, my in-laws took turns with my wife looking out for me, so my wife could have a break. My MIL also made up some home remedy for Dengue for me to drink, which I did. I didn't see my SIL during that week, but that was because she was in our home taking are of the kids (hers and ours). That fact that the family pitched in for me the same as they would have for anybody else in the family really impressed me, and I will certainly remember that. We have had to rush my MIL to the hospital twice, and both times my FIL postponed asking for help until it was almost too late. I'm not sure why they do that.

• Like 1

to_dave007
14 hours ago, RogerDat said:

Room for Lola in your house?

Yes..  we actually have a small second house on same property, and Lola has recovered there before..  as has my MIL.  They know the option is available.  We'll encourage my MIL to keep her parents here for a couple more days after the hospital.

Having said that.. they do NOT want to live here on ongoing basis. The hard life that they've lived since WW2 is in their blood.  If you would see grandfather work.. you'd know what I mean.

13 hours ago, Headshot said:

I suspect that she has seven attendants only because somebody else's peso is feeding them while they are there. Plus, being an old Filipina matriarch, she is revered. You, on the other hand, are obviously NOT that revered ... hence the fact that your wife was alone in her care of you when you were in the hospital. I'm guessing that you WILL remember that when one of those relatives get sick and needs help.

Yes.  you are right. I will remember it.

My wife's grandparents are both in their late 70's now..  With Lola being just 13 years older than me as I joked with my wife this morning.  They both have lived a long life.. and they still work hard.  This pneumonia was likely caused when Lola did laundry the old way several days ago and got rained on.  I respect them, and I'll help as long as they need it.  Same with my wife's mother, widowed several years back.  And I don't really expect much in return..  well  I expect nothing in return really from them..  other than that they respect my domain over my home, which they do.

The siblings are another matter.   And it frustrates my wife as much as it does me.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2

to_dave007

4.30am, and just back from hospital.  Took in some water and rice for the watchers, and brought one back to get some sleep.  Will be back an a couple hours.

Lola has responded well to the IV, and is much stronger now.

From the time I arrived at the hospital, until the time I left, grandfather stood over his wife with a make shift fan, to keep the air moving as she slept.   They are both 77..  so if they married at 20 that would be 57 years.  Hard to imagine what those eyes have seen.

• Like 2

to_dave007

Lola is doing fine..  and will likely be discharged tomorrow morning at latest, or possibly this morning. 

So far, her son, and his entire family, who live less that 10 minutes by trike from the hospital have offered no assistance and have not visited.  They do have the funds available, as their son just returned from an OFW stint in Saudi about 4 days ago.  But it seems that the 3 or 4 day party to celebrate their sons return is more important than helping Lola in hospital.  No doubt they'll be around in another few months soliciting funds to help the son get back to Saudi for another contract.

I learned that Lola and her husband have been married 59 years now, and will celebrate their 60th on July 11 next year.  I'll be in Canada then, but I think that's an event worthy of a family gathering, and worthy of my support.

So far, I've paid all the pharmacy costs for Lola's visit, but with discharge looming someone will have to pay the hospital charges, which are likely to be less than 4000 peso, so not huge.   I could pay it, but now that I've discovered that PhilHealth will cover the costs for poor indigent farmers I will no longer willingly pay the hospital charges.  The day Lola was admitted my wife and I asked one family member to see that PhilHealth would pay the hospital bill but of course as at now nothing has been done. Yesterday the PhilHealth folks told me that they need a senior citizen ID to cover Lola..  Of course she doesn't have one.  So now someone will need to get photos of a hospital patient, and locate her birth cert, and God knows what else, and make application to the LGU for Senior Citizen ID for Lola..  and who knows how long we will wait.

So I says to the PhilHealth people..  a bit frustrated..  that "Lola can't apply without help..  we had to carry her into the hospital, and she's still got an IV attached..  and she's lived 77 years in the mountain and it's highly likely she has no ID at all, and certainly none with her here in the hospital..  and even if she did we have no idea how long the Senior Citizen ID process will take..  So it looks like I must pay for this 77 year old lady who lived in Philippines all her life because PhilHealth will refuse her coverage without the right papers".   It was at that point that I was told..  "There is another way that we can do it...  ".  Not sure exactly what must be done, but I'm confident that PhilHealth will pay the hospital stay.  And honestly, the staff there WANT to help.  They weren't being difficult.

And the family member will proceed anyway to get Senior Citizen ID for both Lola and her husband, but after the fact.

And the wife and I hope to get the hell out of here with the boys for 10 days in Sipalay Negros very early Thursday morning before the latest storm hits, and before the mass of holiday travellers.

Cross my fingers. 

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jawny

The information about the Philhealth red tape is spot on.  It’s not that the agency is designed to be difficult.  It’s more likely the result of a cultural trend of Filipinos.  Benefits for seniors is always a desirable and encouraged thing, but ends up getting muddled in bureaucracy.

My own MIL spent a couple of days in a local hospital recently.  The bill was around ₽14000 but with Philhealth, it is reduced to ₽4000.  Of course, this meant a trip to the Philhealth office for a document before the discount. Use of their computerized system just isn’t up to the task.  

Sadly, the process of getting an ID required for Philhealth is not exclusively an issue with the elderly.  We’ve had family members and employees who took around two years to complete the task to get an official ID.  Once that was done, the Philhealth process was simple.

I am not surprised that some family members don’t visit or offer to assist.  This is true in our family, but in no way intended as a slight.  It just becomes a common sort of event that the same people who help, always help.

Thanks for sharing the information.  I suspect a lot of LinC members would be well advised to help their extended family get a decent ID.  It can be a cumbersome process even in the best of conditions.

• Thanks 1

smokey

We faced the same deal 5 years ago wife mother had brain tumor lasted 3 days out of the 7 children we put up 77 .000. They got together and covered the rest 4,000 peso so your still ahead

• Thanks 1

liquido

Good advice from a friend here is to meet a woman that is an orphan...

Thomson
27 minutes ago, liquido said:

Good advice from a friend here is to meet a woman that is an orphan...

There are many Filipino families who pay their own bills - without any foreigner being involved.

But hey, when you fall in love with someone and it's genuine, it's difficult to say no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1