English at home?

bounder

I agree with To_dave007.   At our house, the family is required to speak English at the dinner table.  Our meals may last upwards of an hour as we have discussions about school, the world, spelling, math, etiquette, different meals, etc. all in English.  No one is left out of the discussion and should there be any conflicts, they are usually resolved at the dinner table (in English).  Just like a prayer is said before each meal, and proper eating habits are enforced.  For me, it is a time to enlighten them to the ways of the World.  Considering none of them knew any English seven years ago, it is amazing how well they speak it now. 

I also agree that each person may have their own rules about the speaking of the English language within their homes AND I may amend our house rules (with consensus of the family), but for today, the dinner table requirement will suffice....perhaps the change to all English in the house will be a New Year's resolution.

• Like 5
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• Headshot

• Davaoeno

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Children will be at a great disadvantage in school if they are not fluent in the local tongue and Tagalog as well as English, and if they don't hear those languages at home they won't be fluent. My da

Four kids here, have a speak English at home rule...works great...actually the four year old took his interview for the private school, they were interviewing him in Waray, he just looked at them and

I am calling bullshit on that one.  Local families never talk to their helpers in English, and hardly ever to their relatives in English .  And I don't care how " clever" they are . 

Posted Images

I was brought up in Brazil - with an English mother and Portuguese/Brazilian father. English was spoken at home because my mother never got to grips with Portuguese. When we had a maid I obviously spoke to her in her own language and vice-versa. Portuguese was spoken everywhere else outside. I grew up bi-lingual which was a great blessing as it made learning Spanish and French very easy at a later date. Young kids are like sponges, they soak it up, initially mix up the various languages but then seem to  pretty much figure it out for themselves. My filipina daughter is going the same route - mostly hears English but also a mish-mash of Visaya and Tagalog. i echo Headshot's opinion of the more the merrier!  

Edited by Barryrio
Missed a couple of words!
  • Like 2
the.lone.gunman

I grew up in a French speaking household in Vancouver, Canada. Never a word of English at home, only out on the street. I became fluent in both French and English at an early age and I don’t have an accent in either language. Seemed perfectly natural me, no problem at all. 

• Like 2

I grew up in an English speaking home. haven't been able to learn shit since.

just sayin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
newtocebu
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I have a problem when people  post in extremes because they think the more extreme they are the more that that will make their statements true !! I see that in the political threads a lot .

hey, i make 'a lot' of generalisations!

leave me alone ya meanie lol

Edited by newtocebu
pissed, watchin cricket
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
thebob
3 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I have a problem when people  post in extremes because they think the more extreme they are the more that that will make their statements true !!

Do you think that is true for "everyone" who posts in extremes or just some of them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Davaoeno
36 minutes ago, thebob said:

Do you think that is true for "everyone" who posts in extremes or just some of them?

Reply:

As I said- just the ones who think that way! 

( nice try though! ?)

Your problem is that my reference was to "thinks" and not to "posts"

Edited by Davaoeno
thebob
5 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Reply:

As I said- just the ones who think that way! 

( nice try though! ?)

Your problem is that my reference was to "thinks" and not to "posts"

Do you have problems with people who think they know what other people are thinking?

USMC-Retired

My kids speak English only in our home.  Not because of some mandate but because it is what the wife and I feel is important.  They get a daily dose of Visyan when they F***-up and Tagalog on TV.  You just do what you feel is best.  English is far more important that any Filipino Language.   However heritage and culture are vital also. 

JohnSurrey
10 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

smiley-face-eating-popcorn.png

Hehehe... it's better than the fecking movies isn't it?

One simple question - Headshot (the Troll) and it's like watching The Good the bad and the Ugly!

Thanks guys - fascinating stuff 

Edited by JohnSurrey
Forgot to thank everyone
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon
On 12/16/2017 at 6:05 AM, JohnSurrey said:

Anyone else have the English at home rule ?

I don't see the need for it. Children can easily be multilingual. My daughter converses in English without any Filipino accent, yet gets spoken to in Filipino all the time, is around groups of Filipinos who are all talking Filipino to each other. She primarily speaks English, sometimes speaks Filipino to her mother and other Filipinos.   She tends to assume all brown people are Filipino though, but hey she's only 3 1/2. 

Jim_in_Jax

My 2 y/o daughter speaks both English and Visaya.  Her English is very clear and has no accent.  The rest of my wife's family says she's slang with her Visaya so it appears that my teaching her English has had a more dominant effect on her speech abilities.  My first child grew up in an all English speaking house and I didn't know at that time that young kids could be multilingual so easily.  Had I known that when he was a kid (35 years ago) since I was fluent in Spanish I would have shared that with him.  Guess it would have benefited him at this point in life since he lives in southern California.

I prefer a quiet, peaceful dinner so require only sign language be spoken at the table.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
shadow
44 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I prefer a quiet, peaceful dinner so require only sign language be spoken at the table.

Image result for thumbs up picture