• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• Headshot

• Davaoeno

• colemanlee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Children will be at a great disadvantage in school if they are not fluent in the local tongue and Tagalog as well as English, and if they don't hear those languages at home they won't be fluent. My da

Four kids here, have a speak English at home rule...works great...actually the four year old took his interview for the private school, they were interviewing him in Waray, he just looked at them and

I am calling bullshit on that one.  Local families never talk to their helpers in English, and hardly ever to their relatives in English .  And I don't care how " clever" they are . 

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Headshot said:

You have no idea about what you are talking about. You certainly have no idea about what happens in my home.

I'm pretty certain you don't speak Cebuano to her. So, you are helping her to improve her English. She certainly isn't getting that from the relatives. 

21 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Somehow you think that by restricting the languages spoken in your home, you will encourage multilingualism. You are wrong.

My point was, locals will ALWAYS be able to communicate in their respective languages, when outside the home. They will improve their English skills while inside.

I'm not wrong. I have witnessed it for years. 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Headshot said:

but as soon as you try to promote that as THE preferred method for all households, then you have crossed the line. You have expressed your views on the subject, and I have expressed my views on the subject. Let's just leave it at that.

I only recall saying that is what I insist on inside my home. What anyone else decides to do is on them.

• Like 3
Headshot
16 minutes ago, Paul said:

I only recall saying that is what I insist on inside my home. What anyone else decides to do is on them.

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

I am calling bullshit on that one.  Local families never talk to their helpers in English, and hardly ever to their relatives in English .  And I don't care how " clever" they are . 

Amongst themselves maybe not in Cebu but certainly in Baguio i know families who communicate mainly in English with Eachother. I also know Philipino families in Thailand who do mostly  speak in English amongst  eachother instead of Tagalog.

• Like 1
newtocebu

Look at some of the more popular Fil-Aus/Am etc etc celebrities in the Philippines

A lot of them didnt learn any Tagalog until their late teens / early twenties, and they are doing very well

18 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Fair enough.

Yeah. Not really sure where you thought I was saying otherwise. 

Davaoeno
18 minutes ago, Paul said:

To be fair , Bill said " and if they don't hear those languages at home they won't be fluent."

To which you replied " Bullshit" .  

• Like 1
Headshot
16 minutes ago, Paul said:

I meant your clarification was fair enough. If your intent wasn't to tell others how it should be (not just i your home), then that is fine and I will accept that. However, your original comments were a direct reply to my comments, and it sounded a lot like you were telling me that I had it all wrong in my home.

Davaoeno
23 minutes ago, newtocebu said:

A lot of them didnt learn any Tagalog

that is a very comprehensive statement !!   Never mind " a lot " -   I find it hard to believe that any child with a filipina parent did not learn a single word of Tagalog .

• Like 1
Davaoeno
2 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

smiley-face-eating-popcorn.png

I have a problem when people  post in extremes because they think the more extreme they are the more that that will make their statements true !! I see that in the political threads a lot .

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

The popcorn was because once the talk gets into the comparison of Tagalog and Cebuano, it always turns into a pissing contest...

to_dave007

Like some others here, I believe that being multilingual is a significant advantage in the world.  I really can't imagine any reasonable justification for discouraging multi-lingual learning.  I agree wholeheartedly with Bill about this.

I want my sons to be VERY fluent in English, but I see no reason why that should mean NOT speaking Visayan or Tagalog.

Our rule is:

1. We eat meals together at the table.
  2. English only at the dinner table (or lunch or breakfast) for everyone, including any other family members who like to join our table.
  3. Everyone at the table must "tell a story" before ANYONE leaves the table.  In reality this just means that no one can stay silent.  Everyone must say something.  In English.

These rules have been in place religiously now for 1 year.  Prior to that, like the OP, I was concerned that the boys were not speaking English as well as I thought they should.  Now, after 1 year, my 6 year old sounds damn close to a native English speaker, and has actually acted as a translator for me several times, and my 5 year old has gained a lot and now talks eagerly in English at every meal.  His grammar still sucks, and his vocabulary isn't as good as it should be, but he is quite happy to talk in English, and he's improving steadily.  My wife and I agree 100% that this was a great change.. for OUR house.

So..  when the kids are playing outside..  it's Visayan..  in the playground..  Visayan.. With other kids inside our house..  Visayan..  With aunts and uncles and cousins and other family members..  Visayan.  With mother when I'm not around.. Visayan.. except at meal time..  and with me.. English.  And after 1 year of "the dinner time rules" I definitely feel we made the right move.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

To be fair , Bill said " and if they don't hear those languages at home they won't be fluent."

To which you replied " Bullshit" .  

If it involves you, I was referring to the following:

But, since I was addressing him, it doesn't.