oztony

New law prevents Australian child sex offenders from leaving Australia.

oztony

Australia introduces tough new laws on child sex tourism

New laws designed to stop pedophiles convicted in Australia from travelling overseas to offend again have come into effect, with the government saying it will make vulnerable children safer.

As of Wednesday, it is now an offence for registered child sex offenders convicted of the most serious forms of abuse to leave Australia without approval from law enforcement agencies.

They also face having their passports cancelled at the request of Australian authorities.

"Australia has up to 20,000 registered child sex offenders who have served their sentences but are subject to reporting obligations that help to protect the community," said Foreign Minister Julie Bishop.

"For too long, these predators have travelled overseas undetected, including to countries where weaker laws mean they have opportunities to commit heinous crimes."

Last year alone, 800 registered child sex offenders travelled overseas, often to developing countries in Asia, and about 40 per cent did so without notifying police.

"This will now stop," said Bishop.

The move follows repeated episodes of child exploitation overseas, including a high-profile case last year when Australian Robert Ellis was convicted of sexually abusing 11 Indonesian girls on the resort island of Bali.

The crackdown comes in the wake of concerns about the growing role of technology in pedophilia, with the government proposing new offences and tougher penalties targeting live-streamed child abuse and online grooming.

They also plan tougher fines on internet service providers if they do not report abusive material to police.

Justice Minister Michael Keenan called the crackdown "the toughest on pedophiles in a generation", making Australia "a world leader in protecting vulnerable children overseas from child sex tourism".

https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/38276108/australia-introduces-tough-new-laws-on-child-sex-tourism/

• Like 5

lamoe

Way to go OZboys.

That was a compliment - I don't do sarcasm.

Edited by lamoe
  • Thanks 1

RangerUp

CANBERRA, Australia –  A convicted child molester has been prevented from flying overseas from Sydney Airport under new laws aimed at keeping Australian pedophiles out of Southeast Asian sex tourist markets.

Laws that took effect on Wednesday prevent 20,000 convicted pedophiles listed on the Australian child sex offender register from leaving the country except for specific purposes approved by law enforcement agencies.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop would not say where the pedophile stopped in Sydney was headed. He is being questioned by police.

It is now a federal crime punishable by up to five years in prison for registered child molesters to leave the country without law enforcement agencies' permission.

Australian pedophiles are notorious for taking inexpensive vacations to nearby Southeast Asian and Pacific island countries to abuse children.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/12/12/pedophile-stopped-at-sydney-airport-by-anti-sex-tourism-law.html

• Thanks 1

rep1

Why do they want to confine all pedophiles in Australia??? I thought the proper way would be to forbidden them from coming back?

• Haha 2

SkyMan

WTG Oz!!  

• Like 1

JohnSurrey

Yeah I think it's a good idea - do any other countries have similar restrictions or is  this a first?

lamoe

I believe there was a thread on US attempts with various comments  for and against.

• Like 1

sugbu777

Good on ya, Australia. :clapping:Advance, Australia Fair!

• Like 1

SkyMan
11 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

Yeah I think it's a good idea - do any other countries have similar restrictions or is  this a first?

Not long ago the US announced a new policy of rescinding all child molestor's passports and reissuing with their offences listed in the passport.  While it doesn't prevent them from travelling outside the US, it does allow other countries to decide if they want to allow them to enter.  Hopefully, SEA will take the hint and ban them.  I think if the Phils fails to ban them right off, it won't be long.  All it will take is someone to get caught molesting a kid that has the warning in their passport.

Since Australia has a complete travel ban they should just rescind all their passports.

• Thanks 2

Davaoeno
Just now, SkyMan said:

3 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

reissuing with their offences listed in the passport. 

I believe you are mostly correct . The notation will apparently say "  “The bearer was convicted of a sex offense against a minor, and is a covered sex offender pursuant to (U.S. law).” "--  but the passport will not list the offences  [ as near as I can determine ]

• Like 1