Sign in to follow this  
trthebees

Marriott Closing

trthebees

About every 4 months we go to the city from our simple life in the far province and have a stock up.

We liked the Marriott as a treat. Ayala real handy for Gaisano and Rustons and loads of other stuff. Ayala is fine to stroll around in the evening and choice of eating. Banks, Perpetual Succour, the UK visa place nearby. Cos it's so convenient, we can get away with 2 nights instead of probably 3 somewhere further out. The Marriotts service for anything has been professionally great, secure, and Very Importantly!!! they have a really good breakfast buffet.

We've stayed in the Mandarin Plaza for a night (family wedding meet-up). Decent room, poor breakfast we thought, reception was strangely chaotic. Crossing the road a right nuisance. We have stayed at the Holiday plaza quite a lot, not as convenient but actually found it quite ok and the breakfast buffet reasonable if not too late down. Robinsons handy. Economical too!

So what's the best choice next to Ayala? Quest seems to get mixed reviews on here, certainly not too complimentary about their breakfast. Otherwise any suggestions before we go back to Holiday plaza or somewhere else slightly less convenient. Ta.

• Like 1

samatm

First I have heard about the Marriot closing!   any link to that info ? 

(i found one:  http://business.inquirer.net/238539/marriott-exit-cebu-city-hotel-rebranded-seda)

Crown Prince is new and nice and but you still have to cross the road ...  right across from it is the Elizabeth.  Very good hotel.. on same side of road .

Edited by samatm

A_Simple_Man
33 minutes ago, samatm said:

about the Marriot closing

Reading the article, it seems the Marriot was leasing the hotel from Ayala and now Ayala are taking it back to run it as a Seda hotel (Ayala owned).

So the obvious question is:  Why not give the new management a try?  Ayala seem to run things pretty good.

trthebees
7 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Reading the article, it seems the Marriot was leasing the hotel from Ayala and now Ayala are taking it back to run it as a Seda hotel (Ayala owned).

So the obvious question is:  Why not give the new management a try?  Ayala seem to run things pretty good.

Could do...I think there's a break for refurbishment and no doubt a grand opening!

• Thanks 1

trthebees
44 minutes ago, samatm said:

First I have heard about the Marriot closing!   any link to that info ? 

(i found one:  http://business.inquirer.net/238539/marriott-exit-cebu-city-hotel-rebranded-seda)

Crown Prince is new and nice and but you still have to cross the road ...  right across from it is the Elizabeth.  Very good hotel.. on same side of road .

Thanks I'll have a look at those two"s websites and if I stay I'll post a review on here. 

RogerDat

Hope they keep the cooking staff!

musicman666

These Ayala guys are so frigging shrewd ...lease out a top chain and let them do all the dirty work ....thanks very much guys well take it all on from here..

rep1
10 hours ago, trthebees said:

About every 4 months we go to the city from our simple life in the far province and have a stock up.

We liked the Marriott as a treat. Ayala real handy for Gaisano and Rustons and loads of other stuff. Ayala is fine to stroll around in the evening and choice of eating. Banks, Perpetual Succour, the UK visa place nearby. Cos it's so convenient, we can get away with 2 nights instead of probably 3 somewhere further out. The Marriotts service for anything has been professionally great, secure, and Very Importantly!!! they have a really good breakfast buffet.

We've stayed in the Mandarin Plaza for a night (family wedding meet-up). Decent room, poor breakfast we thought, reception was strangely chaotic. Crossing the road a right nuisance. We have stayed at the Holiday plaza quite a lot, not as convenient but actually found it quite ok and the breakfast buffet reasonable if not too late down. Robinsons handy. Economical too!

So what's the best choice next to Ayala? Quest seems to get mixed reviews on here, certainly not too complimentary about their breakfast. Otherwise any suggestions before we go back to Holiday plaza or somewhere else slightly less convenient. Ta.

Quest was very nice as of last year, not sure now. They had cute big monkeys made of candy and bread last year, and the big-head witch from "Alice in Wonderland". Very lovely.

But why their breakfast? If you read the details of hotel pricing you'd notice it's not free and you can get the same food on menu for less and spend the rest on their coffee cocktail (ask them a single-page menu of drinks)

Jim Sibbick

Breakfast would never be a consideration for me. Especially if I was staying near Ayala mall. If a hotel price is supposed to include breakfast, I would tell the hotel i want the price without breakfast and then dine on foods I know I like at a location i like.

sugbu777

In the past, I used Marriott points to stay in the Cebu branch for free. Looks like I won't be doing that anymore :sad_01:

lamoe

Just a point - if crossing the street from Mandarin or Quest, etc. is a concern can walk down to light and cross, go past parking lot and enter Metro.

fivestarph

I understand the Marriott will be closed for 18 months for renovation before re opening as Seda.

Headshot
2 hours ago, fivestarph said:

I understand the Marriott will be closed for 18 months for renovation before re opening as Seda.

Really? The norm for this kind of conversion is to just remodel one floor at a time, so the rest of the rooms can still be rented out during the conversion.