Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Is Auntie tha same as in the States?

Travis

Does Auntie mean one of your parents siblings or can it also mean something else?

davehud

Yes and yes. It means your aunt. It can also mean any older unrelated woman.

• Thanks 2

oztony

More often than not it is shortcutted to Ate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Travis

Thank you gents

Woolf
47 minutes ago, oztony said:

More often than not it is shortcutted to Ate.

Ate is sister in cebuano

most often the eldest sister, can also be used for a woman that is older than you

that is my understanding

• Like 2

Dafey

Ate is a tag used to show respect to an older, (than you), female. Sometimes sounds like auntie but different. That being said Aunt or uncle is used pretty freely even for those that are close but may not be related.

Kuya, (pronounced fast sounds like cleo) is the tag for showing respect to an older male.

I get a kick out of hearing a 3 year old call a 5 year old Ate!

• Like 2

lamoe
10 minutes ago, Dafey said:

That being said Aunt or uncle is used pretty freely even for those that are close but may not be related.

Last time at Bohol

Charity: Oh look, there's my Auntie, come meet her

Me: Mother or facther's sister?

Her: No, just friend to them.

RogerDat

My pronunciation is ah tee, it is one expression of respect. There are many here.

• Like 2

SkyMan
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

Ate is a tag used to show respect to an older, (than you), female. Sometimes sounds like auntie but different. That being said Aunt or uncle is used pretty freely even for those that are close but may not be related.

Kuya, (pronounced fast sounds like cleo) is the tag for showing respect to an older male.

^^^ This.   Just note that Ate and Kuya are Tagolog though used commonly in the Visayas.  The Cebuano terms for not necessarily related older female/male are Manang (Nang) and Manoy.  And often besides Aunt and Uncle (which are also not necessarily related and sometimes Uncle is shortened to just the last syllable Cull) you often hear Tita/Tito which are Spanish.  The real Cebuano for aunt/uncle are iyaan/uyoan.  An old enough elder may be called Lola or Lolo (or just Lo) but the real cebuano for grandparent is apohan as a grandchild is an apo.

• Like 1

oztony
4 hours ago, Woolf said:

Ate is sister in cebuano

most often the eldest sister, can also be used for a woman that is older than you

that is my understanding

3 hours ago, Dafey said:

I get a kick out of hearing a 3 year old call a 5 year old Ate!

Our border , who is younger than my wife calls her Ate , my wife refers to all of her aunts as Ate ... 

aaaacebuano.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dafey

I forgot...Buang Cano is a show of respect for an american expat...they call me that all the time!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

bernadette
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

I forgot...Buang Cano is a show of respect for an american expat...they call me that all the time!!!

really? as in Buang Cano is  a show of respect for an american expat?! i don't think so because in my understanding it means Crazy American...Buang is Cebuano Term for Crazy

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

SkyMan
13 minutes ago, bernadette said:

really? as in Buang Cano is  a show of respect for an american expat?! i don't think so because in my understanding it means Crazy American...Buang is Cebuano Term for Crazy

Shhhh, let Dafey live in his world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Soupeod

I've only been called his imperial Majesty Kano.  /Grins

• Haha 1

Salty Dog
7 hours ago, soupeod said:

I've only been called his imperial Majesty Kano.  /Grins

You wanna bet...:yahoo:

• Haha 1