Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Getting a filipina to the US for vacation ??

SkyMan
On 12/4/2017 at 8:44 AM, Monsoon said:

I’ve never seen a B1 visa issued without also a B2 in Manila. Not saying they don’t. Just haven’t seen one. I’ve sent a few dozen employees to the states for various things over the years and they all had B1/B2s as well. 

You're right and that is rather odd since the B1 is a work visa while the B2 is not.  My wife's visa type is B1/B2 so could she work or would it eventually get back she's really just on B2?

SkyMan
On 12/6/2017 at 7:50 AM, AlwaysRt said:

I do think it is supremely stupid to deny a spouse a tourist visa when they qualify for a spousal emigration visa. If she wanted to stay we would get that visa so no risk of her overstaying a tourist visa, what would be the point of being illegal when legal is so easy...

Most of us would agree.  The problem is that the spousal visa is around 10 times the cost of the tourist visa so I believe the embassy is assuming the sneaky American is trying to get his wife to the US on the cheap and then he'll just apply for some change of status there.  Perhaps that is possible or was done in the past but I don't really see that as being much of a cost savings, perhaps a time saver.  DCF spousal visas are so quick now I don't see any savings.

• Like 2

Woolf
4 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

You're right and that is rather odd since the B1 is a work visa while the B2 is not.  My wife's visa type is B1/B2 so could she work or would it eventually get back she's really just on B2?

B1 is not a work visa, you are not allowed to do labor, like being employed

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

b1 usa.png

• Like 1

Woolf

B2

b2 usa.png

SkyMan
15 minutes ago, Woolf said:

B1 is not a work visa, you are not allowed to do labor, like being employed

Ok, so then they should just call it a B visa because I'm sure it would be ok to do all of the above if on either B1 or B2.

shadow
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Ok, so then they should just call it a B visa because I'm sure it would be ok to do all of the above if on either B1 or B2.

Actually, in immigration circles it is known simply as a B visa.

smokey

So smokey was correct a visit to the embassy is like a huge box of chocolates as you never know which one you will pick

SkyMan
7 minutes ago, smokey said:

So smokey was correct a visit to the embassy is like a huge box of chocolates as you never know which one you will pick

No, the vast majority can be predicted, either yes or no.  A few near the borderline can go either and there are always outliers, but mostly results are predictable.