Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

Philippine Diploma vs US Diploma

USMC-Retired

So is a Philippine High School diploma being equivalent to US High School Diploma.

The wife needed this to begin school here int he USA.  This process was a gamble of $250.00 for the evaluation from SpanTran as she only went 10 years. This subject is very important to anyone that wants to further their education in the US as a Philippine High School Graduate. As a high school diploma is required for higher education. From Span Tran it states her High School Diploma in bold letters says: EQUIVALENT TO A SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA. Though it does say she only went 10 years of primary and secondary education. As a side note: My wife went through the STEM program (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) so I say mileage can very. So now she is off for the spring semester of College. Thanks for reading.

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 6

Headshot

Good on ya Tim. Education is the best life insurance policy a wife can have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ozepete
10 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I couldn't agree more HS and that's why I left school as soon as I could, so I could get out and learn something!;)

• Like 3

samatm

My son opted out of the local phils Education System and  has been self taught the past two years.   The online Khan Academy has been great.   He will be taking the GED In January and ready for College entrance in April.   He has now had the time to study Animation, illustration, and Japanese language.  

• Like 2

Paul
12 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I disagree. A $2,000,000 USD (death benefit) life insurance policy on her husband, would be much better. :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

USMC-Retired
11 minutes ago, Paul said:

I disagree. A $2,000,000 USD (death benefit) life insurance policy on her husband, would be much better. :D

lets limit those ideas.

• Haha 5

wondersailor
4 hours ago, Headshot said:

Good on ya Tim. Education is the best life insurance policy a wife can have

Agree 100%, but sometimes you can lead a filipina to water but can't make them drink. Got to love them anyway.

• Like 1

USMC-Retired
1 hour ago, wondersailor said:

Agree 100%, but sometimes you can lead a filipina to water but can't make them drink. Got to love them anyway.

Glad I did not have to do any leading she wanted this, her idea and her motivation.  It is awesome for her she has been raising two boys the last 6 years and now she can get out a little bit.  

SkyMan
7 hours ago, Headshot said:

Good on ya Tim.

Well yeah but Congrats to the little lady!

• Thanks 1

State Trooper

My daughter graduated high school in the Philippines in 2015. She moved to Missouri last year and applied to a local community college. The college accepted her PHL diploma with no issues and no expensive equivalency analysis. She has completed her first year of general studies and is now transferring to the Univ of Missouri for her BS.

Just saying it all depends where you go

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

enoonmai
8 hours ago, USMC-Retired said:

So is a Philippine High School diploma being equivalent to US High School Diploma.

The wife needed this to begin school here int he USA.  This process was a gamble of $250.00 for the evaluation from SpanTran as she only went 10 years. This subject is very important to anyone that wants to further their education in the US as a Philippine High School Graduate. As a high school diploma is required for higher education. From Span Tran it states her High School Diploma in bold letters says: EQUIVALENT TO A SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA. Though it does say she only went 10 years of primary and secondary education. As a side note: My wife went through the STEM program (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) so I say mileage can very. So now she is off for the spring semester of College. Thanks for reading.

My wife is doing sort of the same thing. She has a Bachelor's degree from a Philippine college and needs to get one of these analysis companies to certify which (if any) courses are transferable to the US. The Philippine college has to send the transcripts directly to them. The local state college gave us a list of 20 companies that do this. SpanTran is one. If you don't mind me asking, how did you decide on them and were they ok?  

samatm
3 hours ago, State Trooper said:

My daughter graduated high school in the Philippines in 2015. She moved to Missouri last year and applied to a local community college. The college accepted her PHL diploma with no issues and no expensive equivalency analysis. She has completed her first year of general studies and is now transferring to the Univ of Missouri for her BS.

Thats Great.  Im guessing she did well on her SAT.  Did she feel like her Philippine HS education prepared her well for US College? 

Aerosick

When my wife came to CA, USA in 1999 we did the same with her 2 college degrees, 1 was for a Teaching Degree from Cebu. They discounted her Fishery courses she got in Moalboal and she had to take college courses here for USA History, USA Gov't and some extra English courses.

She now had a Masters Degree in Special Education.

• Like 2

USMC-Retired
11 hours ago, State Trooper said:

Community college gives a test for profiencey in math and english. As long as you pass those you are placed in 101 classes otherwise it's remedial classes.  

11 hours ago, enoonmai said:

My wife is doing sort of the same thing. She has a Bachelor's degree from a Philippine college and needs to get one of these analysis companies to certify which (if any) courses are transferable to the US. The Philippine college has to send the transcripts directly to them. The local state college gave us a list of 20 companies that do this. SpanTran is one. If you don't mind me asking, how did you decide on them and were they ok?  

They were recommended I read the reviews online and the gamble seemed worth it.  No real thought. 

USMC-Retired
8 hours ago, samatm said:

Thats Great.  Im guessing she did well on her SAT.  Did she feel like her Philippine HS education prepared her well for US College? 

You do not take SAT or ACT for community college.  If you complete the basics above the level of C you can auto transfer to any State run university.  

• Like 2