tom_shor
I think the purpose of this bill is intended to compensate the veterans for benefits that they were entitled to but did not receive. How Congress determined the value of veteran's benefits is beyond me, but the amount appears pretty conservative. At this late stage in the game it makes little sense to award educational, medical, etc. benefits to someone who is probably in their 90's.

In the late 70's the value of my educational benefits were close to $15,000 over 45 months of education ($300+ per month). In addition, when I bought my first home, I was able to qualify for a higher mortgage than normal that produced some economic value for me (about $20,000 worth). Fortunately, I never had to take advantage of any medical benefits so can't place any value on that. So there is value to veteran's benefits if one chose to use them. Today, I think educational benefits are closer to $1,000 a month.

I think the purpose of an equity bill is to compensate a group of 'citizens' who for one reason or other were denied access to certain benefits and rights that they were entitled to. The only problem with equity bills like this is that there are a lot of Americans who walk around believing that they have been denied their due benefits and rights. But in this case it appears that there is undeniable evidence that these vets were promised their benefits.

I agree with you rainymike.

I understand what you are saying USMC. My father also served in WWII in the Pacific including the Philippines. He sacrificed and risked much just as all the veterans did. After the war he returned home where he was eligible for Home and Business loans as well as education benifits provided by the VA to Veterans. The Philippine Veterans except for a very few received none of these benifits for the same service.

The Philippines was a territory of the US at this time and the residents there had the same rights and obligations as we did. Even though the government has changed and the Philippines is now an independent country they were not then. These men are American Veterans just like you and me they fought Under the same Stars and Stripes we have served. They were shafted out of what they should have been entitled to so I really believe it is about time they made this right. How many have already died and received no compensation at all?

• 2 weeks later...

My father served in the U.S. Army during WWII in Manila. I served in the U.S. Air Force and the U.S. Army and the U.S. Air Force Reserve in the states and in Europe, during the Vietnam Era and the Cold War period. American military retirees are not allowed to shop in military commissary's here, buy anything from a Philippine Class VI, clothing sales store or any other benefit. Foreigners over age 60 cannot even obtain a senior citizen card to use for reduced prescription drug cost, (this is ridiculous.)

If you are a foreigner in the Philippines, are you anything more than a dollar sign? A source of income for others only?

If you ask the price of anything, it automatically doubles (or more) if you speak or appear foreign. The red carpet is rolled out for diplomats and benefits and "freebies" heaped before them, but U.S. military veterans are not positively acknowledged in any manner or benefit.

USMC-Retired

Lets see educational benefits my grandfather did not receive. Housing loan ah nope did not receive that either. VA benefits nope did not receive that either.

So lets see if that concludes all the benefits my grandfather was suppose to receive and do to life at the time could not. He deserves a check also. He had mouths to feed and family to put through school. Hard working man and never got a dime other then a handshake. So that tells me since life delt him a blow and could not take advantage of those items he should also get a check. So it is charity for a poor country and poor people. I pity none of them and hope they do not get a dime.

If you think he still should not then you are wrong. There is nothing special they did that my Grandfather did not do. His life was hard and had to go to Greenland to just support his family on a construction site there. So when you say they have a hard life it is the fault of their country not the US.

Edited by USMC-Retired
tom_shor
Lets see educational benefits my grandfather did not receive. Housing loan ah nope did not receive that either. VA benefits nope did not receive that either.

So lets see if that concludes all the benefits my grandfather was suppose to receive and do to life at the time could not. He deserves a check also. He had mouths to feed and family to put through school. Hard working man and never got a dime other then a handshake. So that tells me since life delt him a blow and could not take advantage of those items he should also get a check. So it is charity for a poor country and poor people. I pity none of them and hope they do not get a dime.

If you think he still should not then you are wrong. There is nothing special they did that my Grandfather did not do. His life was hard and had to go to Greenland to just support his family on a construction site there. So when you say they have a hard life it is the fault of their country not the US.

My father used some of his but not all as did many others. I am sorry your Grandfather was not able to.

The Filipino veterans were not given the opportunity at all. Many of them got nothing either because they died of old age waiting. I never said they have a hard life I said they were American Veterans who fought for the American flag and should have been given benefits accordingly. I feel our country should give the same opportunities to all who served. It was very small of us not to do that.