Paul

Veterans Administration Public Affairs

WASHINGTON - Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki announced a new benefit for Filipino Veterans who aided American troops in World War II -- a cash payment authorized through the newly enacted American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

Claims are now being accepted from Filipino Veterans eligible for one-time payments of $9,000 for non-US citizens and $15,000 for Filipino Veterans with US citizenship. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is working to begin making payments as soon as possible.

VA and the US Embassy in Manila have announced locations in the Philippines where Veterans can apply immediately. The list has been posted at http://manila.usembassy.gov.

To receive information by mail, United States residents may call 1-800-827-1000. Philippine residents may call 632-528-2500 (within Metro Manila) or from outside Manila at 1-800-1888-5252. In addition, Filipino Veterans may request information via email at https://iris.va.gov.

The VA Regional Office in Manila will process all claims for this benefit. US residents living in the Republic of the Philippines should mail their application to the Department of Veterans Affairs, Regional Office, PSC 501, FPO AP 96515-1000.

Extensive outreach is planned to alert World War II Veterans throughout the Philippines. Claims must be submitted by Feb. 16, 2010, a year after the bill's signing.

The payments do not affect other benefits Veterans may be receiving. The VA regional office in Manila currently provides around $15 million monthly in monetary benefits to Veterans residing in the Philippines. About $8 million of this goes to Filipino World War II Veterans or their survivors each month.

liquido

Did these veterans rid the Japanese alongside the Americans from there own country or did they help the allies in Europe??I guess the French,Polish,Dutch....etc would be ble eligible also??Im not trying to be disrespectful to any of these vets??

WASHINGTON - Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki announced a new benefit for Filipino Veterans who aided American troops in World War II -- a cash payment authorized through the newly enacted American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

Claims are now being accepted from Filipino Veterans eligible for one-time payments of $9,000 for non-US citizens and $15,000 for Filipino Veterans with US citizenship. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is working to begin making payments as soon as possible.

VA and the US Embassy in Manila have announced locations in the Philippines where Veterans can apply immediately. The list has been posted at http://manila.usembassy.gov.

To receive information by mail, United States residents may call 1-800-827-1000. Philippine residents may call 632-528-2500 (within Metro Manila) or from outside Manila at 1-800-1888-5252. In addition, Filipino Veterans may request information via email at https://iris.va.gov.

The VA Regional Office in Manila will process all claims for this benefit. US residents living in the Republic of the Philippines should mail their application to the Department of Veterans Affairs, Regional Office, PSC 501, FPO AP 96515-1000.

Extensive outreach is planned to alert World War II Veterans throughout the Philippines. Claims must be submitted by Feb. 16, 2010, a year after the bill's signing.

The payments do not affect other benefits Veterans may be receiving. The VA regional office in Manila currently provides around $15 million monthly in monetary benefits to Veterans residing in the Philippines. About $8 million of this goes to Filipino World War II Veterans or their survivors each month.

Huck Finn

There probably aren't many of them still around. I wish this could have been done long ago. They saved many American lives.

Paul

liquido, I can't say. But, I can say this. I met a veteran (Filipino) who lived in Bogo at the time I did. I believe he was about 95 years old, still ambulatory, still well within his mind. I spoke with him and learned a lot. He had scars on his arm where a Japanese soldier had hit him with a bayonet and it went completely through his arm. In my mind, if anyone deserves that money, he does.

rainymike

I think that at that point in time the Philippines was a commonwealth of the USA. Something like Puerto Rico. So although not a state it was governed to some degree by the USA. So the Filipinos were quasi citizens and I think were promised full veteran's benefits. I could be wrong but when I was in the Army, Puerto Ricans who served in the Army got full vet benefits.

Hawaii was also not a state at that time. It was a territory of the USA. But its residents who fought in the war received full benefits. My dad went to college because Hawaii residents received full veteran benefits.

This makes the Philippines different from other countries that fought in the war. A lot of people don't realize that at the outbreak of WWII, the Philippines was still kind of ruled (mostly its external affairs) by the USA.

Anyway my history is a bit rusty, but those Filipino vets were to some degree functional citizens of the USA and should have received full benefits like those in Puerto Rico and Hawaii. It's kind of shameful in my opinion that the USA treated these soldiers like they did by not granting the benefits until now.

eggnoggin

Many of these vets were domestics ..cooks... valets..on ships and in homes and offices of US military around the world ...fighting and dying ...serving valiantly ...alongside US soldiers and sailors during both wars and many skirmishes around the world...the neglect and haughty disdain they have been subject to is as shameful and dismissive as the fag obamouse suggesting that wounded US veterans should seek their own medical care to save a few bucks ...

Edited by eggnoggin
tom_shor
Did these veterans rid the Japanese alongside the Americans from there own country or did they help the allies in Europe??I guess the French,Polish,Dutch....etc would be ble eligible also??Im not trying to be disrespectful to any of these vets??

They fought with American troops resisting the Japanese Occupation. Most of the soldiers who died in the Bataan death march were filipinos. Many continued resistance during the Japanese occupation providing assistance to the US invasion and intellegence on Japanise Military forces. They fought after the invasion often cleaning out pockets of Japanese holdouts.

There was an offer of US citizenship to these Veterans after the war but it was not well publisized and only a short time limit was given so most who were eligable never got the chance to apply. The Philippines gained their independence in 1947 so no further incentives were offered to these veterans other than the VA hospital until recently.

Very sad they waited until most of them died before resolving this issue. Unfortunately it seems to be the custom of the US to forget about the veterans pretty soon after the shooting stops. Until the next time they are needed.

They fought with American troops resisting the Japanese Occupation. Most of the soldiers who died in the Bataan death march were filipinos. Many continued resistance during the Japanese occupation providing assistance to the US invasion and intellegence on Japanise Military forces. They fought after the invasion often cleaning out pockets of Japanese holdouts.

There was an offer of US citizenship to these Veterans after the war but it was not well publisized and only a short time limit was given so most who were eligable never got the chance to apply. The Philippines gained their independence in 1947 so no further incentives were offered to these veterans other than the VA hospital until recently.

Very sad they waited until most of them died before resolving this issue. Unfortunately it seems to be the custom of the US to forget about the veterans pretty soon after the shooting stops. Until the next time they are needed.

Apparently Tom it is not just the custom of the US to forget ,,

http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2009/a...090413top9.html

• 2 weeks later...
USMC-Retired

Lets just say great.

Where is my Grand Fathers Check?????????????????????????????

Since he was shot twice on the beaches of Normandy. I would think he would be entitled to something. Ah yes he is an American. This is shear Bullshit.......

Oh yes he is an American and does not deserve one. He go a metal and handshake. Oh well charity at its best.

This country was rich and called the pearl of the Orient till they screwed it up. The people of the WWII generation I mean.

The same WWII generation that made the US great.

So nothing more then Charity. Since the Medic that saved my Grand Fathers life got killed. Did he get any monies more then what a country should do for its citizens.

Again Charity for the poor nothing like a handout. Then people complain about it. Go figure. I hope none of them get a dime.

liquido

It sounds a little harsh what you say...My history eludes me not knowing that at time that the RP was somehow connected to the USA..From what I gather if our government at that time said the RP vets were eligible for that money we should not be welching to them brave souls..My father was in ww2 also as a captain in the army/air force back then flying B-17's...all he got was a job well done,nightmares and lucky to be alive .....He always had a standing offer to buy any P-51 pilot a beer he always would say...lol

Again Charity for the poor nothing like a handout. Then people complain about it. Go figure. I hope none of them get a dime.
Rogersea

I tell you I am not a big left wing activist or anything but I have studied this a little bit and if you take into consideratioin the relationship that existed post Spanish American war through 1935 and then the planned transition period to full independence.... I think 9K a soldier is reasonable.. you also need to remember that the Phil Army was part of the US Army during the war....

Anyway I dont think 9 or 15k is too much... It would have been more appropriate to give the guys who were really in the blended service a GI Bill.. :welcome:

I like you spent my time in the service as did my Father, Grandpa, etc etc..

Cheers

Lets just say great.

Where is my Grand Fathers Check?????????????????????????????

Since he was shot twice on the beaches of Normandy. I would think he would be entitled to something. Ah yes he is an American. This is shear Bullshit.......

Oh yes he is an American and does not deserve one. He go a metal and handshake. Oh well charity at its best.

This country was rich and called the pearl of the Orient till they screwed it up. The people of the WWII generation I mean.

The same WWII generation that made the US great.

So nothing more then Charity. Since the Medic that saved my Grand Fathers life got killed. Did he get any monies more then what a country should do for its citizens.

USMC-Retired

9K or 15K for what? What did they do that all those Americans did not do? Can anyone tell? How about the Americans that marched up through Manilia beside them? Did they get 9K or 15K. I do not think so. What was so special about there service that was not anymore special then the brave Americans? Who cares if we were here as a force or that we attempted to colonize the PH. They threw us out and revolted against the US.

I just want to know what there service to the US or to the rest of the world was more important then that of any other Vet.

Sorry I think it is charity. Lets give to the poor. More left wing liberal policies.

So someone enlighten me on what was more special about there service more then that of Lcpl Whal that lost his life when a truck bomb blew up. He was 19 years old and doing what his country asked of him. Like a good country the USA they took care of this war hero. Because the Philippines can not take care of there heroes it is now the job of the US?

So please just tell me what those Soldiers of the Philippines that was so special that now today they deserve money for there action. When the people that freed this country from oppression and Japanese rule got nothing except a handshake and thank you.

Sorry I say they should get zero, nothing, zilch, nada. Unless you can tell me why other then conjecture of what was more special then what an American did to free this country.

Rogersea

Hey you have a right to your opinion, and I am quite surprised that this was passed, because on the surface it surely appears like charity..

The relationship that the US and the Philippines had during that time frame is certainly not the same relationship that exists today. When I think about this issue I try to keep everything in the context of the 1930's and 40's and remember that the Philippines was still a US Territory equivalent to Puerto Rico and Guam, as late as 1935. The Tydings-McDuffie Act was what spelled out the change in relationship which for various reasons was not fully implemented until 46.

Anyways there is nothing special about these soldiers but due to the messy relationship the US and Phils had back then I think the soldiers (bonifide soldiers) need to be afforded the same benifits that other returning vets received and since it is obviously too late for them to take advantage of GI BILL like educational benifits..... I think the 9 or 15k is reasonable.

I think we will need to agree to disagree on this issue.

Cheers

9K or 15K for what? What did they do that all those Americans did not do? Can anyone tell? How about the Americans that marched up through Manilia beside them? Did they get 9K or 15K. I do not think so. What was so special about there service that was not anymore special then the brave Americans? Who cares if we were here as a force or that we attempted to colonize the PH. They threw us out and revolted against the US.

I just want to know what there service to the US or to the rest of the world was more important then that of any other Vet.

Sorry I think it is charity. Lets give to the poor. More left wing liberal policies.

So someone enlighten me on what was more special about there service more then that of Lcpl Whal that lost his life when a truck bomb blew up. He was 19 years old and doing what his country asked of him. Like a good country the USA they took care of this war hero. Because the Philippines can not take care of there heroes it is now the job of the US?

So please just tell me what those Soldiers of the Philippines that was so special that now today they deserve money for there action. When the people that freed this country from oppression and Japanese rule got nothing except a handshake and thank you.

Sorry I say they should get zero, nothing, zilch, nada. Unless you can tell me why other then conjecture of what was more special then what an American did to free this country.

rainymike

I think the purpose of this bill is intended to compensate the veterans for benefits that they were entitled to but did not receive. How Congress determined the value of veteran's benefits is beyond me, but the amount appears pretty conservative. At this late stage in the game it makes little sense to award educational, medical, etc. benefits to someone who is probably in their 90's.

In the late 70's the value of my educational benefits were close to $15,000 over 45 months of education ($300+ per month). In addition, when I bought my first home, I was able to qualify for a higher mortgage than normal that produced some economic value for me (about $20,000 worth). Fortunately, I never had to take advantage of any medical benefits so can't place any value on that. So there is value to veteran's benefits if one chose to use them. Today, I think educational benefits are closer to $1,000 a month.

I think the purpose of an equity bill is to compensate a group of 'citizens' who for one reason or other were denied access to certain benefits and rights that they were entitled to. The only problem with equity bills like this is that there are a lot of Americans who walk around believing that they have been denied their due benefits and rights. But in this case it appears that there is undeniable evidence that these vets were promised their benefits.