Sign in to follow this  
Kreole

Rust removal

Kreole

My motorcycle is starting to rust in different  chrome and painted areas and I would like to clean those areas up and repaint.  Is there a product available in Cebu that removes rust, and is there a paint that inhibits rust?   My plan is to sand down the rusted areas and treat them with a rust remover product, and then to repaint, hopefully with a rust inhibiting product.  I am not sure how to deal with the rusted chrome areas since I cannot repaint them.  It would look odd.  Thanks ahead.

aiden9991

what kind of bike do you  have? please post pics of the bike and also the rusty parts.

Kreole
2 hours ago, aiden9991 said:

what kind of bike do you  have? please post pics of the bike and also the rusty parts.

OK.  will do tomorrow after the sun comes up.

fred42

What I do with rusty stuff is spray on wd40 and use a wire brush to clean and dry...Then I brush on rust converter and leave for 12 hours...Then I use 2 part epoxy primer and then a 2 part epoxy gloss/enamel.. No more rust!

• Like 2

Paddy

A quick google search for "chrome plating cebu philippines" shows several local businesses that do plating - one even specifically says "motorcycle parts". If the motorbike is worth it to you - and the parts are easy to disassemble, I would investigate the cost of restoring/replating the chromed parts. I'd do similar to fred42 on the painted parts except my paint finishing sucks, so I'd probably look for a small, but talented, paint shop to do the finish coat at least.

• Like 1

Kreole
3 hours ago, fred42 said:

What I do with rusty stuff is spray on wd40 and use a wire brush to clean and dry...Then I brush on rust converter and leave for 12 hours...Then I use 2 part epoxy primer and then a 2 part epoxy gloss/enamel.. No more rust!

Thanks so much.  Can you give me the brand names of the rust converter and the 2 part epoxy primer and gloss enamel?  I would like to do it right as the mc is in otherwise excellent condition.  I don't have storage area so I use a waterproof tarp and cover that with a sheet to keep the sun from destroying the tarp.  I rent, so I don't have many options.  And I think even if it was in a garage, the location is almost on the beach, thus, no escaping salt air and general metal corrosion.

Woolf

Make sure that you have good ventilation under the tarp

fred42
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

Thanks so much.  Can you give me the brand names of the rust converter and the 2 part epoxy primer and gloss enamel?  I would like to do it right as the mc is in otherwise excellent condition.  I don't have storage area so I use a waterproof tarp and cover that with a sheet to keep the sun from destroying the tarp.  I rent, so I don't have many options.  And I think even if it was in a garage, the location is almost on the beach, thus, no escaping salt air and general metal corrosion.

I've used different branded products that all worked well..I`ll have a look tomorrow to see if I can find the empty tins from past projects..

p-power

rust converter is just cheap phosphoric acid. any brand will do.

• Like 2

thebob
16 hours ago, Kreole said:

And I think even if it was in a garage, the location is almost on the beach, thus, no escaping salt air and general metal corrosion.

That's what wax is for. It forms a barrier between the air and your bike and prevents corrosion. It also stops the dirt sticking. Don't worry about special automotive wax. Cheap floor wax works just as well.

• Like 2

fred42

As P-Power says..Any brand will do for the rust converter..Been busy today and if I cant find the epoxy tins by tomorrow,Im sure the DAVIS brand is fine.

Kreole

That is a good reminder that I do not wax the bike enough.  I need to up my game if I am going to prevent my bike from rusting away in the future.

• Like 1

Kreole

The bike is a Yamaha YBR125G, 1012 model.  Here are 4 pics of the rusted areas.

5a0e42bcceb42_Rust4.thumb.jpg.8c3ef2257989d4afa9557823dd5db25a.jpg5a0e42b41a4c2_Rust3.thumb.jpg.a422489a1f4708be452654f407015cfd.jpg5a0e42ad473a9_Rust2.thumb.jpg.c3f858d1049aee4d76915fb2cd6dc1b2.jpg5a0e42a4be2c2_Rust1.thumb.jpg.a6002a7cbc32af88b29557a8612dc8ec.jpg

thebob

Most of the will just polish out. The pitting on the chrome pipe guard will still look a bit scabby, but the foot peg hanger should clean up OK.

Wash it as well as you can. Use a brass brush gently on the patches of rust on the foot peg hanger. Chrome cleaner on the pipe guard. That should clean up OK.

Once it is clean, wax it!