Sign in to follow this  
A_Simple_Man

Anyone have a wife/gf doing a used clothing business

A_Simple_Man

It is popular recently for some of the expat's wives or gfs to buy and sell clothings.  Some of them do it with new items and some with used clothing.   I don't suppose any of these ladies are getting rich but there are some making a few thousand pesos a month.

One of the tricky bits is getting a good supplier of clothing bundles if you want to sell Ukay Ukay type used clothing.  Of course if there are already 10 suppliers on your block it may not be the business for your wife/gf but I am wondering if anyone who is doing it would care to share info on where they are buying the bundles.

It does not take more than a small amount of online research to find sources for used clothing bundles, but some of the wholesalers are priced "too good to be true" so it's retailer beware in this business.  Some retailers are buying from wholesalers in Manila and having the bundles shipped to the port nearest them.  Others are bringing in their own bundles from overseas.  But there are a few clothing bundle wholesalers listing Cebu and area as their warehouse.  If anyone is getting their bundles from a wholesaler in Cebu I would be interested in hearing their experience so I can pass on the info to my gf before she gets ripped off by a shady wholesaler :D

Reply in thread or PM me if you are willing to share the info but not go public with it :thumbsup:  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Woolf

Illegal? What you need to know about ukay-ukay

The commercial importation of secondhand clothing has been illegal since 1966

Illegal to sell after it has been smuggled in ??????????????

https://www.rappler.com/newsbreak/iq/179876-fast-facts-ukay-ukay-law-illegal

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday, August 23, said he would resign if it is proven that his son is involved in smuggling.

This stems from allegations brought about by documents from the Presidential Anti-Smuggling Group and the National Bureau of Investigation in 2007, which showed that Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte was responsible for the alleged smuggling of luxury vehicles, rice, sugar, and used clothes into the city.

The President explained that Paolo was just helping his in-laws, whom he described as "Muslim vendors" selling jars and ukay-ukay (used clothes) in Davao.

The importation of secondhand clothes is illegal. Republic Act 4653 prohibits "the commercial importation of textile articles commonly known as used clothing and rags."

The law, however, was enacted in 1966 – years before the rise of ukay-ukay in the Philippines.

Despite this, the industry of selling used clothes in the Philippines is not particularly hidden – especially in Baguio City. In fact, it has even gained a huge following among Filipinos because of the low prices of the usually branded clothes.

Why importation of used clothes is illegal

Health concerns is the number one reason why the commercial importation of secondhand clothes is prohibited.

When the law was introduced, its rationale stated that the banning is to "safeguard the health of the people and maintain the dignity of the nation."

Those found guilty of importing used clothes for commercial purpose can face imprisonment ranging from 2 to 5 years. They are also required to pay up to P20,000 ($391).

The used clothing confiscated, meanwhile, is expected to be burned in the presence of officials from the Department of Finance and Office of the President, according to the law.

What the Bureau of Customs is doing

The existence of the law, however, does not deter the abundance of ukay-ukay across the Philippines. In fact, the Bureau of Customs (BOC) has seized millions of pesos worth of smuggled secondhand clothing throughout the years.

In 2015, 21 containers containing used garments were discovered in Misamis Oriental. The used clothes, estimated to be worth P52.5 million ($1.02 million), came from Malaysia and Korea. 

Customs referred to this as its "biggest seizure of used clothing."

But there are also reports that BOC employees themselves have a hand in the proliferation of ukay-ukay in the country. In 2014, an employee was arrested for allegedly seeking and accepting a bribe to facilitate the release of shipments containing used clothing from Hong Kong and the United States.

A 2003 Newsbreak story, meanwhile, reported that non-governmental organizations fronted for smugglers of used clothes, particularly in Baguio City.

Moves to change the law

There have been several proposals in Congress to legalize the importation of secondhand clothes for commercial purposes.

The argument behind the legalization of ukay-ukay importation hinges on the fact that it can generate more jobs and income for Filipinos and the Philippine government.

In the explanatory note of House Bill 4055 during the 14th Congress, then Cagayan de Oro Representative Rufus Rodriguez and Abante Mindanao Representative Maximo Rodriguez said the government could earn an estimated P700 million ($14 million) in taxes annually from imported secondhand clothing.

The bill, however, did not prosper. – Rappler.com

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

A_Simple_Man
4 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Illegal? What you need to know about ukay-ukay

Thank you for your information.  So is habal habal riding and driving on the sidewalk.  So many of the local 'businesses' are illegal I would not even begin to list them.

So does this mean my thread is going to go off on a tangent instead of giving me the information I was asking about?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Richard K
1 hour ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Thank you for your information.  So is habal habal riding and driving on the sidewalk.  So many of the local 'businesses' are illegal I would not even begin to list them.

So does this mean my thread is going to go off on a tangent instead of giving me the information I was asking about?

good luck...

enoonmai

I was wondering how long it would take one of the regs to post the "you can't do that" with the ubiquitous copy/paste. At least you guys are predictable. 

• Like 3

Richard K
2 minutes ago, enoonmai said:

I was wondering how long it would take one of the regs to post the "you can't do that" with the ubiquitous copy/paste. At least you guys are predictable. 

hahaha... you are asking about information for a business that is against Philippine law?.. and you are offended?
lol... like I said.. good luck
I LOVE this shit....:ROFLMAO:

• Haha 1

enoonmai
16 minutes ago, Richard K said:

hahaha... you are asking about information for a business that is against Philippine law?.. and you are offended?
lol... like I said.. good luck
I LOVE this shit....:ROFLMAO:

Try reading a little slower, haha. I'm not asking for anything. 

• Haha 1

Paul

It may be illegal, but it is a very, VERY common business in the Philippines. I went with a friend who lives in Argao, along with her mom, to pick up balikbayan boxes full of used clothing from Korea, I believe it was. The warehouse we went to was FULL of boxes of clothing that had just come off a boat. They didn't get to pick and choose, only to buy a 100 kg box containing whatever was in it, to sell. They did quite well, with their Ukay-Ukay business, too. 

26 minutes ago, enoonmai said:

Lord knows, nothing else in the Philippines is illegal - that is done every day. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

M.C.A.

Selling used clothes has become popular and a couple ladies have opened up shops in our municipality but they go to the larger markets in your city or if out in provincial area's each municipality should have a one day market with some great prices that sell the clothes, bed sheets, pillow covers, purses the works at a lower price and then resell in their mini shops in front or connected to the homes.

I've purchased quality brand named shorts, shirts from 5 - 50 pesos, my wife has purchased some nice dress's for 150 pesos so not a bad way to pick up money plus you choose the clothes you want to sell people will buy them the quality is worth the price.

• Like 1

oztony

Ukay Ukay is as embedded as tanduay rum , and a complete necessity in the Provence anyway , they don't have clothing stores , even in larger towns or smaller city's, just Ukay Ukay...be a heap of grass skirts and animal skin loin cloths without it ...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Richard K

I do see them all over... usually several right next to each other...but why?.. if you are a foreigner here? Why would you purposely put yourself in a position that would put you in that? Granted.. it will be in a wife/g/f name... but if the shit ever hits the fan?... then who is gonna get splattered?

Like I said good luck at it....

After every major sporting event... the USA sends out t-shirts..shorts..etc... there are as many losing logos printed as winning before the event... where do you think the losing logo t-shirts go?

Jawny

In the past several years, I’ve seen three used clothing businesses open and suddenly close.  They are typically set up in an empty lot with simple tents to cover their displays.  Popular and frequented by many people.  However,  it is common for them to get shut down for a variety of reasons.  

Commonly, no business permit and if course, no BIR taxes paid etc.  so, they shut down before the authorities approach them.  

I have considered a similar business but not used clothing.  Rather, buy up large quantities of cheaper clothes in Cebu and then selling them here.  Many people want to shop in the larger cities for the more "stylish" clothes, but can’t afford travel to Cebu or time off.  

We decided against the business because of the associated up front costs of getting a store set up and business permit etc. However, im still convinced it would do well.  Not used, just cheap clothes. 

Headshot

Not all ukay ukay is second hand clothes. A lot of it is factory overruns and factory seconds.

oztony
3 minutes ago, Richard K said:

Why would you purposely put yourself in a position that would put you in that?

I know expats whose wives work and hold down a regular low paying job ...so in answer to your question , some people can do with the extra cash....not everybody retired all rosy posy with the ideal pension.

Not having a dig at you bro , but just posing a very real possible on it , every bit counts to a lot folks there , and there is just no way they are going to enforce a law on ukay ukay ...it's a complete necessity.

• Thanks 1

Richard K
3 minutes ago, oztony said:

I know expats whose wives work and hold down a regular low paying job ...so in answer to your question , some people can do with the extra cash....not everybody retired all rosy posy with the ideal pension.

Not having a dig at you bro , but just posing a very real possible on it , every bit counts to a lot folks there , and there is just no way they are going to enforce a law on ukay ukay ...it's a complete necessity.

Understood and I accept that man. I bought my g/f a highspeed sewing machine and she turned it into a business..I am not wealthy.. and believe me it is helpful... pays at least a couple of the monthly bills...but it is LEGAL also... one thing I know... you start making any money here... it gets looked at... if it is legal not much can touch it except competition...if it is NOT legal... watch you back

• Like 3