Sign in to follow this  
Salty Dog

Church Shooting in Sutherland Springs Texas Leaves at Least 26 Dead

Irenicus
25 minutes ago, Headshot said:

What is sad is that it is difficult to even find "objective facts" anymore. It seems like almost all news has a slant to support this view point or that. There are many agendas out there, and the "numbskulls" don't all belong to one group.

It's actually more on one side than the other.  Just look at all the fake news about this guy "draping an antifa flag over the church pulpit"  and declaring a "communist revolution" that was getting passed around all the conservative websites.  4chan and breitbart are simply not good sources of fact.  Nor is Facebook.  I have more faith in snopes, politifact and bbc.  But of course, that's all "fake news" to your "side."

:P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Monsoon
13 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

The unarmed guy who disarmed the shooter is getting some press, the armed citizen seems to be not getting much at all. I'll be watching to see how it shakes out but it does seem to be a bit of an effort to ignore the role that an armed citizen played in ending this so far. 

The armed guy hasn't taken any interviews yet. I wouldn't either until I got a nolo prosequi from the local DA.

• Like 1

A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

What is sad is that it is difficult to even find "objective facts" anymore.

One just has to be able to pick up on the pertinent facts and use common sense.  Here is a shooter who used to teach bible school years ago, who beat on his wife, who was thrown out of the military for same, and then he goes to church and kills his ex's grandmother (and if she is there then likely he expects other of her relatives to be there).

I know what my gut tells me when I see these facts.  That'll do me until the official investigation is concluded.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Kabisay-an gid

From the Dallas Morning News, which endorsed Clinton for POTUS:

Friends said on Facebook that in recent years, Kelley had become vocally anti-Christian, to the point where many stopped communicating with him. His Facebook page, which has been deleted, listed that he liked a number of atheist groups.

"He was always talking about how people who believe in God were stupid and trying to preach his atheism," one of his Facebook friends, Nina Rosa Nava, posted on the site, saying she unfriended him because of it.

Entire Article: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas/2017/11/06/people-saying-sutherland-springs-gunman-devin-kelley

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Kabisay-an gid

A good guy with a gun got the job done - the suspect was dead before the police ever arrived:

Texas gunman shot 2 times by armed civilian, 1 shot to the head was self-inflicted

Devin Patrick Kelley, whom police have identified as the gunman who carried out the deadliest mass shooting in modern Texas history, sustained three gunshot wounds, police said Monday. That included one gunshot wound to the head that police said appeared to be self-inflicted, said Freeman Martin of the Texas Department of Public Safety, citing autopsy results.

Kelley, who was wearing body armor, suffered gunshot wounds on the leg and torso from an armed citizen with a rifle amid his shooting spree at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs, police officials said during a press conference Monday night.

A third gunshot wound to the head appeared to be self-inflicted, police said. 

Source: Business Insider via AOL News

Entire Article: https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/11/06/texas-gunman-shot-2-times-by-armed-civilian-1-shot-to-the-head-was-self-inflicted/23268789/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

enoonmai
19 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

Also most likely was legally proscribed from owning a firearm it seems. Both history of spousal abuse and a dishonorable discharge are disqualifying offenses last time I checked. 

Gun control: Working as well as it ever does. 

A felony conviction will do it and his military conviction was a "functional felony" that SHOULD have put his name in the database. Kind of ridiculous to talk about gun control laws when government incompetence permits an individual who should have been legally prohibited from buying ANY firearm to walk into a gunshop and buy an assault rifle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

samatm
5 hours ago, Monsoon said:

The armed guy hasn't taken any interviews yet. I wouldn't either until I got a nolo prosequi from the local DA.

Here He is in a somewhat exclusive interview.  The Guy is golden.  God love him.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

A_Simple_Man
56 minutes ago, samatm said:

Here He is in a somewhat exclusive interview.  The Guy is golden.  God love him. 

Wow.  Just Wow.

Harley riding Christian Santa type guy with an AR 15 saves the day.  Its amazing stuff.  We need more like him.

• Like 3

DeedleNuts
8 hours ago, Irenicus said:

It's actually more on one side than the other.

Like the recent "fish feeding" story that's been created by a major news outlet and has now gone viral? Yeeeeeeah. 

1 hour ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Wow.  Just Wow.

Harley riding Christian Santa type guy with an AR 15 saves the day.  Its amazing stuff.  We need more like him.

Really can't make this stuff up. 

• Like 1

DeedleNuts
4 hours ago, enoonmai said:

A felony conviction will do it and his military conviction was a "functional felony" that SHOULD have put his name in the database. Kind of ridiculous to talk about gun control laws when government incompetence permits an individual who should have been legally prohibited from buying ANY firearm to walk into a gunshop and buy an assault rifle.

It's unclear whether he was actually dishonorably discharged, the phrase that seems to be bandied about is "discharged under dishonorable circumstances" but a conviction for misdemeanor spousal abuse (which is what got him discharged) makes him illegal to sell a gun to since 1996. This sort of BS is one reason I have issues with background check laws - they don't work. 

DeedleNuts
8 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Stephen Willeford is a name that should see a lot of positive press coverage IMO, but we'll see how that goes. 

Kabisay-an gid
3 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

It's unclear whether he was actually dishonorably discharged, the phrase that seems to be bandied about is "discharged under dishonorable circumstances" but a conviction for misdemeanor spousal abuse (which is what got him discharged) makes him illegal to sell a gun to since 1996. This sort of BS is one reason I have issues with background check laws - they don't work. 

He got a BCD - Bad Conduct Discharge - not the same as a Dishonorable or an Other Than Honorable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_discharge#Types_of_discharge

DeedleNuts
2 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

He got a BCD - Bad Conduct Discharge - not the same as a Dishonorable or an Other Than Honorable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_discharge#Types_of_discharge

Yeah, apparently the USAF sort of forgot to enter those abuse convictions into the national database. 

Jester
On 11/6/2017 at 9:32 AM, Topper said:

Thanks Jester. That article was certainly an eye opener.

I am not sure if this is  delusional fake media or there is something too it?  Poking around on the net there is quite a bit of it.

Jester
On 11/6/2017 at 1:47 PM, DeedleNuts said:

Perhaps insensitive but deserves to be pointed out that many times more people died in America Sunday in traffic than in this shooting. 

I'm an insensitive kind of guy and will point out that on an average day in the US about 1300 people are slaughtered by the tobacco company's and  not one word.   Are smokers lives that meaningless?   Obvious reason, politicians are not afraid of people armed with packs of cigarettes! 

• Thanks 1