3 short dashcam videos that I took recently

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

Lastly, there is a simple rule for new drivers to learn here.  It’s not written anywhere, but simply stated......the vehicle behind you has the right of way.  So, if you approach a slow moving vehicle, begin to go around, be sure to check your mirror.  The guy behind you has the right of way......remember the game I mentioned.

You have the game wrong here.  It's called napping or not?  Lots of napping drivers here.  I imagine it's largely to do with the long hours stuck in traffic.  Get behind a vehicle for 20 seconds or so and the lights go out, nighty night.  No need to think when you can just follow the bumper in front.  Jeepney moves to the right just follow along, jeepney stops, "Hey wait a minute, I don't want to stop."  Too late, you followed the jeep cause you were asleep.  Now you will turn your vehicle sideways to get around the jeep and probably impede both lanes in the process.  Next time the jeep moves right, move left and continue on down the road like someone awake.  Same can happen in the left lane.  You can often predict a vehicle that's going to turn left or just stop for no discernable reason.  Position in the lane,slowing down, perhaps a signal, someone pulling (walking) in front of them from the left, etc.  Unless you're sleeping.  If you're sleeping you'll just stop behind them.  Then you'll wake up "Hey wait a minute, I don't want to stop."  (See above).  Next time stay awake and move right...   Now another thing that might wake you up in this instance is the guy behind you being awake and seeing what is going to happen and moving right to go around both you and the problem in front of you.  If this happens he wins and it is not proper for you to try to cut him off because he woke up before you did.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• A_Simple_Man

• to_dave007

• Woolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was working in Germany years ago and got a special driver’s education class to help ensure I was familiar with the German road signs and driving patterns.  The instructor pointed out the obvious dif

Keep up this driving behaviour and one day you are going to hit one of those oncoming drivers who upset you so much by being in "YOUR" lane. And when you do. you'll discover that there is a law i

Fault as in insurance? At 70 I break easy and hard to repair - waaaay past warranty.

Headshot
17 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Keep up this driving behaviour and one day you are going to hit one of those oncoming drivers who upset you so much by being in "YOUR" lane.

And when you do. you'll discover that there is a law in PI that you aren't familiar with from your home country.

"The last person who has an OPPORTUNITY to avoid an accident, has the OBLIGATION to do so" 

So..  if you hit one of those oncoming motorcycles..  and injure a child riding behind..  would you like to guess what happens?

This is some of the best advice I have seen on driving in the Philippines. When assessing fault in an accident, it isn't right-of-way that they are going to look at first. It is who had the last opportunity to avoid the accident. Looking back, I can see that was exactly what the cops looked at when assessing accidents. If you are going to drive here long-term without it getting to you, it is very important to learn how to drive like a Filipino, and knowing how things are prioritized is part of that.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

You have the right to be offended by that.  You have the right to report that to proper authorities.  You do not have the right to take any action to police the offenders, either passively or actively.  (Nice to see your rose colored glasses coming off BTW :thumbsup: ).

Most of us put up with that shit every day and we all get offended.  We all bitch and moan about it and we say what we would like to do to those morons but we do not take actions that would put another person at risk just because they are morons.  Not our place to do that.

Never bought a pair :tongue_01:

The sidewalk from Fuentes Circle to the capitol is very wide  so no problem most of the time but that is the one thing Charity and I have  argued about -  if I feel the AH is endangering her I will challenge him

Had 1 weaving in and out of groups of people going way too fast  - coming at me - I was near a building wall  -  which way? -  hug building or move out and hope he didn't do the same? -  I stopped and let him decide what to do - he wasn't  paying attention  - rounded a group  - was very surprised when he did see me  and almost laid it down.

• Like 2
SkyMan
11 minutes ago, lamoe said:

- was very surprised when he did see me  and almost laid it down.

Anything with a motor hits anything without and the motor is at fault.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Anything with a motor hits anything without and the motor is at fault.

Fault as in insurance?

At 70 I break easy and hard to repair - waaaay past warranty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3