Sign in to follow this  
Salty Dog

Reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines 

Salty Dog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

SkyMan

Interesting but there are some problems like I know the old adage that if it tastes good it's probably bad for you.  She's saying the opposite is now true.....but I like carbs.  I like wheat bread and veggies and pasta.  You can keep sugar and rice but WTF?  And I don't like fat or even butter for the most part. 

She says to eat natural foods but when I think of natural foods I think of the produce section of the market.  

And so if you drop the fruits and veggies, how do you get all the good vitamins and other good stuff.  I'm certainly not going to suddenly start liking liver to get iron.

• Like 1

Headshot
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Interesting but there are some problems like I know the old adage that if it tastes good it's probably bad for you.  She's saying the opposite is now true.....but I like carbs.  I like wheat bread and veggies and pasta.  You can keep sugar and rice but WTF?  And I don't like fat or even butter for the most part. 

She says to eat natural foods but when I think of natural foods I think of the produce section of the market.  

And so if you drop the fruits and veggies, how do you get all the good vitamins and other good stuff.  I'm certainly not going to suddenly start liking liver to get iron.

I don't believe that anybody who advocates a low-carb diet, advises that people should drop green veggies or fruits. If you get too low on carbs in your diet, your body goes into ketosis, which is very dangerous. She is advocating low-carb, NOT no-carb. Dr. Adkins did the same thing over twenty years ago. There is nothing new here, but like she said, status quo is a difficult barrier to break. There are literally thousands of studies that verify what she is saying and what Dr. Adkins said. If people were to change their diets en mass, a lot of high-power special interest groups would be screaming their heads off. There is a lot of money behind the factions that want things to remain the same.

• Like 3

SkyMan

She did say low carb but she also said the minimum daily requirement for carbs is zero.

• Like 1

A_Simple_Man
22 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

minimum daily requirement for carbs is zero

Yes, but she went on to say that was due to a mechanism in our body called gluconeogenesis which basically means “make new sugar”

• Like 1

SkyMan

So she's anti carb.  And this guy's pro carb/

And this guy's pro starch (carb).

• Thanks 1

Salty Dog
12 hours ago, SkyMan said:

As a big fellow,, I've been in the prediabetes zone, on and off for several years. I can tell you that when I lose 20 lbs or so, that everything drops back down to normal. I've tried most diets in the past 40 years or so and can tell you that they all work. The problem is staying with one. They just get old and monotonous after awhile. The ones I've found that work the best are balanced, medium to low calorie diets.They pretty much allow you to eat most foods as long as it's in moderation. That's my problem. I love food and have problems just eating a little of it at a time...:rolleyes:

The doctor above seems to be saying the opposite of the doctor in the OP. Well at least they both say low carbs are the way to go, but one says fat is okay and the other says no fat.

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 1

SkyMan

I thought it interesting that Dr Hallberg was saying what to do if you were Insulin resistant.  And then Dr Barnard didn't use the term Insulin resistant but it sounded like his diet was designed to cure the insulin resistance.  

• Like 1

Don.

I have lost  13 kilos, about 30 pounds, over the past 10 months.

I'm a short guy 168cm (5'6") and I went from 83kg to 70kg. (183lbs to 153lbs)

All I did was start eating about 1/2 of everything that I normally eat.

Same food, just 1/2 as much.

I was hungry all the time for the first few months,  but now I don't think I could physically eat as large a meal as I used to eat.

No extra exercise.   May not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

I feel great,  my back stopped hurting,  sex is much easier and better, and I feel about 10 years younger.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Salty Dog
18 minutes ago, Don. said:

...I'm a short guy 168cm (5'6")...

Are you from The Shire and have big hairy feet...:P

hobbit_feet.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don.
12 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Are you from The Shire and have big hairy feet...:P

One of the reasons I love the Phils is that I get to be average male height, and you guys are the giant freaks that suffer while flying over :P

Edited by Don.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

RR3

One more health prophet. Problem is not You eat Chinese food, problem is You eat too much. Diabetes, obesity a marginal problem in China, though increasing 'cause folks eat more Western foods.

You eat more fat. I don't. And how about fruits, veggies and exercise...

Don.

6 hours ago, RR3 said:

One more health prophet. Problem is not You eat Chinese food, problem is You eat too much. Diabetes, obesity a marginal problem in China, though increasing 'cause folks eat more Western foods.

You eat more fat. I don't. And how about fruits, veggies and exercise...

"Nearly 12 percent of Chinese adults (about 113.9 million people) are suffering from diabetes, according to a new study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) on Tuesday.

Based on nearly 99,000 samples taken in 2010, the study estimates that 11.6 percent of Chinese adults are diabetic, making China’s rate of prevalence of the disease the highest in the world.

“The prevalence of diabetes has increased significantly in recent decades and is now reaching epidemic proportions in China,” the researchers write.

JAMA notes that diabetes rates in China have risen dramatically over the past decades. While less than one percent of the Chinese population was diabetic in 1980, that number rose to 5.5 percent in 2001, 9.7 percent in 2007 and 11.6 percent today.

The JAMA study also indicates that the prevalence of the disease has increased as economic development has given way to overweight and obesity. “Diabetes is a societal and a health care challenge due to complex interplays among genetic, perinatal, lifestyle, and environmental factors, to name but a few. Rapid modernization has resulted in an obesogenic environment characterized by food abundance, physical inactivity, and psychosocial stress,” Dr. Juliana Chan of the Chinese University of Hong Kong writes in an editorial accompanying the report.

Only one in three patients was aware of his or her condition, and a mere one in four received treatment. “Even when the individual becomes aware of his or her risk conditions, the health care systems in many developing areas are not designed to manage and support a person’s multiple health needs for 30 to 40 years or more,” Chan added.

According to the International Diabetes Federation, more than 371 million suffer from diabetes worldwide, and 4.8 million people died of the disease in 2012. The new JAMA data suggest that China has a higher diabetes prevalence rate than even the U.S., where 11.3 percent of adults suffer from the disease.

“Diabetes in China has become a catastrophe,” Paul Zimmet, honorary president of the International Diabetes Federation, told Bloomberg. “The booming economy in China has brought with it a medical problem which could bankrupt the health system. The big question is the capacity in China to deal with a health problem of such magnitude.”

"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/04/china-diabetes_n_3867778.html

Edited by Don.

RR3
2 hours ago, Don. said:

“The prevalence of diabetes has increased significantly in recent decades and is now reaching epidemic proportions in China,” the researchers write.

JAMA notes that diabetes rates in China have risen dramatically over the past decades. While less than one percent of the Chinese population was diabetic in 1980, that number rose to 5.5 percent in 2001, 9.7 percent in 2007 and 11.6 percent today.

Just what I said :cool_01:

Don.
2 hours ago, RR3 said:

Just what I said :cool_01:

You said "marginal problem", the article said "epidemic ".

Marginal and epidemic are the same in your dictionary ?

"China’s rate of prevalence of the disease the highest in the world."