• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• musicman666

• smokey

• Supple Steve

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bob wrote in his blog myphilippinelife.com: “A stable, monogamous married life is prudent. A taste for young boys has gotten many foreigners into trouble. Chasing young women can also expose you to al

Personally my main defence now is to have zero casual relations with locals ...can’t be bothered with trying to run the gauntlet of not inadvertently pissing off their fragile egos ...from my own pers

My first 5 years here I had problems dealing with and understanding the locals. My second 5 years, not so much. The last 5 years, only one time has there been a problem with a very drunken local. I di

Posted Images

musicman666
3 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

just proves you dont know what your talking about

Just say what you think and stand by what you say ....stop relying on others who know you to bail you out like some kind of get of of jail free card....

• Confused 1
colemanlee

Grab your ass...bend over and jump and disappear...meet me and you will see I never relay on others...I teach them

1 hour ago, oztony said:

I read the situation differently , I have been busy for a few weeks (most of it spent drinking with the locals) just catching up on a few threads now , take a few breaths and try and participate nicely is my recommendation for you , sure we all have our opinions and are entitled to a say but what I see is you calling out , and unnecessarily poking and prodding at a long time well respected member , whom I do know personally as well.

See if you can get your point across without having to stomp on other people to achieve a result , 

I agree with everything you say up to the "long time respected member" part. As a moderator you seem to be rebuking this person because it was against someone well respected. That's wrong and whether or not you know him personally is irrelevant. Maybe you didn't mean it that way but that's the way I read it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
oztony
2 minutes ago, enoonmai said:

I agree with everything you say up to the "long time respected member" part. As a moderator you seem to be rebuking this person because it was against someone well respected. That's wrong and whether or not you know him personally is irrelevant. Maybe you didn't mean it that way but that's the way I read it.

The fact that I know Larry was incidental to my observation of what had transpired , it is a case of we all have an opinion , and if it differs trying to belittle or grind prettily away at others doesn't change their opinion or add to the discussion , 

I have been drinking and hanging out with the locals for 14 years , never had a problem ...in fact only ever started having a little to do with expats in the last 3 years since I joined this forum ....

How to avoid being murdered in the Philippines...don't behave like a jerkoff ...or act and think you are better than everyone ...including the locals .

• Thanks 4
musicman666
40 minutes ago, oztony said:

The fact that I know Larry was incidental to my observation of what had transpired , it is a case of we all have an opinion , and if it differs trying to belittle or grind prettily away at others doesn't change their opinion or add to the discussion , 

I have been drinking and hanging out with the locals for 14 years , never had a problem ...in fact only ever started having a little to do with expats in the last 3 years since I joined this forum ....

How to avoid being murdered in the Philippines...don't behave like a jerkoff ...or act and think you are better than everyone ...including the locals .

I think people who fall foul aren’t acctually acting ...that’s who they are....they are just being themselves even if they come across superior or just a jerk...acting is what you do when you want to be accepted and in the end you will become that person ... going back to my initial post I couldn’t be bothered with it all...

softail

A lot of bickering nonsense cluttering up a pretty good thread.  

• Like 4
bounder

I would like to think that I am a relatively private person.  I do a lot of walking several days each week.  I will smile and say hello to the locals I pass.  Since I don't drink alcohol, I don't go out and socialize.  I also don't try to stand out (although most times it is hard not to, being a single foreigner in a sea of Filipinos).  I hand out clothing and toys to squatters at Christmas and school supplies to the same in May.  I get invited to local Christmas parties of which I briefly make my presence known, but the bottom line with over six years in this community has been to assimilate as much as possible into the local populace.  I have witnessed those boastful, argumentative, and arrogant foreigners who reside here, but steer clear of those individuals to avoid any negative connection with them (by the locals - - - birds of a feather flock together syndrome).  You can have a pleasant life in the PH or you can have a crappy stay in the PH.  It is up to you as to how you want it to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
sugbu777
8 minutes ago, bounder said:

You can have a pleasant life in the PH

Bounder...Just like San Miguel/San Antonio Zambs. back in the day . :D

• Like 1

My own experience of risk would have to be based on where I live and what has happened here. Three murdered here basically because they stood up for their rights. One who's wife ran off with local and left him to raise the kids. He spent a lot of his time with the local mission sisters. He had locked up the wife and boyfriend and later released them. One more who's should have checked out documents "before they bought it. This ended them in a shitload of trouble trying to partition land bought from a crook who owed BIR for what he had sold. The last one had reported local government officials to the ombudsman.

Would I drink with locals? Drinking here led to one of them being stabbed 23 times by cousins. You can be friends with them, have few bevvies and quite soon the constant questioning about you, your personal life such relationship with your partner and finances just gets too personal for comfort. I have no desire to drink with guys based on my monetary value either. I don't buy freinds.

I am not back for a few drinks and catching up. I live here! There is a difference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
smokey

So let me see these anti foreigner threads usually go the same way.       MOST FOREIGNERS ARE EITHER RUDE.  DRUNKS.  ARROGANT.  LAZY.  STUPID.  UNDESERVING. DEADBEATS AND GIVE THE GOOD FOREIGNERS A BAD NAME.  ME BEING THE STANDARD GOOD FOREIGNER. SO ALL THESE OTHER FOREIGNERS SHOULD BE DEPORTED EXCEPT FOR THE GOOD FOREIGNERS ( my list of good foreigners to follow )   WELL SORRY ONLY 3 NAMES POP UP ON THE PERFECT LOVED BY ALL LIST. AND NUMBER ONE IS (me)  number two is. (Myself)  and the last slot goes to the foreigner of the year ( I))

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
sugbu777
3 minutes ago, hyaku said:

just gets too personal for comfort

Understood. My wife gets tired of folks asking what I do for work. She just tells them I'm retired.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, sugbu777 said:

Understood. My wife gets tired of folks asking what I do for work. She just tells them I'm retired.

From my experience and what others have mentioned on this forum. The questions get even more personal to women.

Also the stock statement here after a very short chat usually winds around to. "Ah yooo have much money". It's just not neighbourly talk.

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
MarinePride

I just admit that I have very little in common with most of the locals here.  They don't see things my way and I sure as hell don't see things the way they do in life. I don't have any empathy for their plight either. Acknowledging this as the truth is being honest with myself and saving a lot of time play acting.  Life is too short for the bullshit of pretending anymore, I'm close to 50 and as I age I find myself not caring what people think of me.

I learned a long time ago not to drink with people of dubious character and that is just about any local here who is male and not part of the wife's inner family. When I drink at all, which isn't often at all because alcohol is poison, it's at home mostly by myself.  Besides the quality of most beers has been sliding for a long time now, but I digress!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I try to get along with just about everyone. Though when I think back about my Filipino friends, most were business owners or professionals. I didn't plan it that way. That's just the way it seemed to work out. I guess I met many of them through some business transaction. Being the talker I am, it wasn't hard to strike up conversations not related to the business. Did I hate expats. Of course not. I had a few who I considered close friends. There were those that were colorful, and a bit out there, but that often made for some interesting conversations. I think my mantra has always pretty much been "Go Along To Get Along"

Edited by Salty Dog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1