How to Avoid Being Murdered if You're a Foreigner in the Philippines

shadow
19 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

Damn...just found out Im a low life ....

We really do need to hang out one day, Lee, just so you can get to feel the real thing, you know...

• Haha 1
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• musicman666

• smokey

• Supple Steve

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bob wrote in his blog myphilippinelife.com: “A stable, monogamous married life is prudent. A taste for young boys has gotten many foreigners into trouble. Chasing young women can also expose you to al

Personally my main defence now is to have zero casual relations with locals ...can’t be bothered with trying to run the gauntlet of not inadvertently pissing off their fragile egos ...from my own pers

My first 5 years here I had problems dealing with and understanding the locals. My second 5 years, not so much. The last 5 years, only one time has there been a problem with a very drunken local. I di

Posted Images

colemanlee
1 minute ago, shadow said:

We really do need to hang out one day, Lee, just so you can get to feel the real thing, you know...

Im all for that...just have to find time and money for the trip lol....Wifey started the house so money is going out like it was vacuumed....and you know if I get serious...we gotta find some Jack...:D 

shadow
Just now, colemanlee said:

Im all for that...just have to find time and money for the trip lol....Wifey started the house so money is going out like it was vacuumed....and you know if I get serious...we gotta find some Jack...:D 

I used to know Jack, before I got kicked by the Red Horse.

colemanlee
4 minutes ago, shadow said:

I used to know Jack, before I got kicked by the Red Horse.

My cop friends were over the other night, Tandury did the kicking...shut my old ass down

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
smokey

Does eating at the viking if its 90 %locals count as hanging out with the locals???

• Like 1
Headshot
44 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

Damn...just found out Im a low life ....

Well ... we would have told you sooner, but we didn't want to hurt your feelings... 

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, shadow said:

I don't drink in front of sarisari stores, nor on the street. My partying is usually with Filipinos of substance and local upper class musicians from Silliman university music club.

Now Shadow you are the "one" expat that I would drink with. I prefer to keep away from the "riff-raff myself.

• Like 1
Headshot
1 hour ago, Jack Rat said:

Now Shadow you are the "one" expat that I would drink with. I prefer to keep away from the "riff-raff myself.

Where did Larry say that he isn't riff-raff? I think he is the current president of the Negros chapter of the Riff-Raff Society. He has a lot of friends in low places...

• Haha 1
Supple Steve

haha...you guys are funny....lots of insecure old men trying to prove how manly they are.  Comical.   

I hang out with Filipinos every single day, and I think those of you with brains understand the point here.  Choose your friends wisely, unless you're so desperate for relevance that you will befriend anyone with a "friendly, smiling face." 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, Don. said:

WTF ?

I have known Shadow for about 15 years and I don't know of anyone, including myself, that looks down on him.

I presume he is a six footer plus then!

• Haha 1
musicman666
19 hours ago, Thomson said:

I lived in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia... and of course the Philippines, and I have to say this is the only country where jealousy seems to be so noticeable. The only place where I found this issue didn't bother me was in and around Manila, but once you get out of the big cities it gets very obvious where most of the tensions come from. Jealousy, big egos and boredom which leads to gossips are a big issue in the provinces.

About the expat community... in each and every Asian country I lived at - there always were gossiping foreigners who have problems with other foreigners. There will always be foreigners who feel superior to other expats for various reasons. I have learned to recognize these kind of expats and I avoid them now.

Agreed .....but coming back to the thread title the cool thing about expats is even if you disagree murder is most likely never going to be an option. 

oztony
12 hours ago, Supple Steve said:

edit: I didn't come to this forum to make trouble, but some of you are argumentative twats and/or completely full of shit...and I'm gonna call a spade a spade.

I read the situation differently , I have been busy for a few weeks (most of it spent drinking with the locals) just catching up on a few threads now , take a few breaths and try and participate nicely is my recommendation for you , sure we all have our opinions and are entitled to a say but what I see is you calling out , and unnecessarily poking and prodding at a long time well respected member , whom I do know personally as well.

See if you can get your point across without having to stomp on other people to achieve a result , 

Edited by oztony
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
musicman666
23 minutes ago, oztony said:

I read the situation differently , I have been busy for a few weeks (most of it spent drinking with the locals) just catching up on a few threads now , take a few breaths and try and participate nicely is my recommendation for you , sure we all have our opinions and are entitled to a say but what I see is you calling out , and unnecessarily poking and prodding at a long time well respected member , whom I do know personally as well.

See if you can get your point across without having to stomp on other people to achieve a result , 

This is a forum and the currency of this is words ...it would be good to keep the discussion going based on what people say here instead of saying you know someone etc etc ...just base opinions on what people say in the forum and not on reputation outside of this forum...it gets real messy otherwise...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
colemanlee

Based on what you say...experience is naught...so for me on personal experience after more years here than I care to mention...is you get what you give...be a asshole and you will get a asshole...sure after all these years I have got some assholes...but rarely...and when you do take care of them just like you would anywhere else...then you most likely will not have a problem...of course if you piss somebody off for big bucks, just like anywhere else you will get what you give...hows that for personal experience

musicman666
9 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

Based on what you say...experience is naught...so for me on personal experience after more years here than I care to mention...is you get what you give...be a asshole and you will get a asshole...sure after all these years I have got some assholes...but rarely...and when you do take care of them just like you would anywhere else...then you most likely will not have a problem...of course if you piss somebody off for big bucks, just like anywhere else you will get what you give...hows that for personal experience

Just proves you don’t know what a forum is ...