How to Avoid Being Murdered if You're a Foreigner in the Philippines

1 hour ago, Supple Steve said:

There's a reason the expat community looks down on you and slanders you..... 

WTF ?

I have known Shadow for about 15 years and I don't know of anyone, including myself, that looks down on him.

Edited by Don.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• musicman666

• smokey

• Supple Steve

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bob wrote in his blog myphilippinelife.com: “A stable, monogamous married life is prudent. A taste for young boys has gotten many foreigners into trouble. Chasing young women can also expose you to al

Personally my main defence now is to have zero casual relations with locals ...can’t be bothered with trying to run the gauntlet of not inadvertently pissing off their fragile egos ...from my own pers

My first 5 years here I had problems dealing with and understanding the locals. My second 5 years, not so much. The last 5 years, only one time has there been a problem with a very drunken local. I di

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, musicman666 said:

I could take you to my local hangout which is basically a dug out pit with wood over the top ....go there at night to drink red horse and it will scare the tits out of you if you are sober ...fortunately by that stage of the night I never was.

Drunk or sober I doubt Shadow would be scared almost anywhere in the Phils

I know the guy in person.     Do you ?

• Administrator
Salty Dog
10 minutes ago, Don. said:

Sober!! I thought you said you knew Shadow...:P

• Haha 2
musicman666
16 minutes ago, Don. said:

I know the guy in person.     Do you ?

Obviously not ..I was going on what he said.

Well i went out last night to watch the UFC and some crazy chick punches me in the back. Later she went to the front desk of the lobby and assaulted an employee of the hotel. She also tore up $2000.00 from the till.

Dont have to be in PI to have a little fun.

• Like 1
musicman666
20 minutes ago, Travis said:

Well i went out last night to watch the UFC and some crazy chick punches me in the back. Later she went to the front desk of the lobby and assaulted an employee of the hotel. She also tore up $2000.00 from the till.

Dont have to be in PI to have a little fun.

Sounds like fun...when you arrive you should hook up with shadow and hit his local hangout...

• Thanks 1

I lived in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia... and of course the Philippines, and I have to say this is the only country where jealousy seems to be so noticeable. The only place where I found this issue didn't bother me was in and around Manila, but once you get out of the big cities it gets very obvious where most of the tensions come from. Jealousy, big egos and boredom which leads to gossips are a big issue in the provinces.

About the expat community... in each and every Asian country I lived at - there always were gossiping foreigners who have problems with other foreigners. There will always be foreigners who feel superior to other expats for various reasons. I have learned to recognize these kind of expats and I avoid them now.

Edited by Thomson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
shadow
6 hours ago, musicman666 said:

You did say partying with the locals!!! ...so where do you live?....next to this intellectual hang out?...partying with locals and looking at your avatar I naturally assumed it was down and dirty with the guys at the end of the street ...sorry mate but you are changing your story ...back  peddle all you like. 

I could take you to my local hangout which is basically a dug out pit with wood over the top ....go there at night to drink red horse and it will scare the tits out of you if you are sober ...fortunately by that stage of the night I never was.

I live in a small community at the base of a mountain, about 10 km from a much larger university town, where we go to play music. I party in both.

Any more questions? 

• Administrator
Salty Dog
4 minutes ago, shadow said:

Any more questions? 

What do you do with your broken guitar strings....:P

• Haha 2
Richard K

The easiest way to not get murdered here is don't be a jerk... be respectful and avoid conflicts. The guy from the other post "douchebag" is prime to get the hammer.
Don't be a twat and you can get along fine...if you go looking for trouble you will certainly find it

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
20 minutes ago, Richard K said:

The easiest way to not get murdered here is don't be a jerk... be respectful and avoid conflicts...

Then how have you managed to survive so long in the Province...:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Richard K
1 minute ago, Salty Dog said:

Then how have you managed to survive so long in the Province...:P

look back at my "lock yourself in the closet" post....I only do that when I feeling particularly twatty though.. ;)

• Like 1
Supple Steve
9 hours ago, shadow said:

Right. Show me anyone here who knows me that looks down on me. You have 26 posts and you think you know me? What nonsense.

I'm going out for a beer now. It's at an open air bar in the plaza. No upper crust, no sari sari, no streetside, just where "real Filipinos" hang out. A place where I am sure you would fear to tread. So just remain quivering and spouting from behind your keyboard, where you are safe near momma's skirt.

LMAO.  You said yourself that you have problems with expats slandering you.  All you have managed to do in this thread is contradict yourself and look foolish.  My point all along was not to hang out with the lower class locals.  Thanks for confirming that, tough guy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
shadow
18 minutes ago, Supple Steve said:

LMAO.  You said yourself that you have problems with expats slandering you.  All you have managed to do in this thread is contradict yourself and look foolish.  My point all along was not to hang out with the lower class locals.  Thanks for confirming that, tough guy.

Where did I say I had a problem with expats slandering me? I said many expats seem to be backstabbing, rumormonging pussies.

But switch that to read what you wish. You have proven my point better than I could have myself.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 4