Jump to content

How to Avoid Being Murdered if You're a Foreigner in the Philippines


Recommended Posts

Headshot

Nevertheless, you just have to read the news to know that Filipinos and expats alike get killed quite often while drinking with their "buddies" in front of a sari-sari store, and an offense is taken by one of the participants, and one of the other participants dies. People tell themselves it's OK because I am drinking with friends, but in the end, life or death can hinge on one comment taken wrong. It happens all of the time here on Cebu. Drinking at a fiesta, with people you don't necessarily know, is even riskier.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • shadow

    15

  • musicman666

    14

  • smokey

    13

  • Supple Steve

    12

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bob wrote in his blog myphilippinelife.com: “A stable, monogamous married life is prudent. A taste for young boys has gotten many foreigners into trouble. Chasing young women can also expose you to al

Personally my main defence now is to have zero casual relations with locals ...can’t be bothered with trying to run the gauntlet of not inadvertently pissing off their fragile egos ...from my own pers

My first 5 years here I had problems dealing with and understanding the locals. My second 5 years, not so much. The last 5 years, only one time has there been a problem with a very drunken local. I di

Posted Images

One of the most enlightening reports of a drinking session gone wrong happened a couple of years ago.  Three buddies were enjoying the company of each other while getting wasted. One of the three demonstrated his skills as a gymnast. Apparently his buddies didn’t score his performance with all tens. Add to that their laughter and vocal criticism. Must have been hard for the potential Olympic medalist to take.

The gymnast went home, came back with a big knife and ended the careers of the judges.  He showed them!!!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
musicman666
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

One of the most enlightening reports of a drinking session gone wrong happened a couple of years ago.  Three buddies were enjoying the company of each other while getting wasted. One of the three demonstrated his skills as a gymnast. Apparently his buddies didn’t score his performance with all tens. Add to that their laughter and vocal criticism. Must have been hard for the potential Olympic medalist to take.

The gymnast went home, came back with a big knife and ended the careers of the judges.  He showed them!!!

And just in case your ever in the mood try not to croon to my way on the bar karaoke ...things might go downhill rapidly...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Way_killings

Edited by musicman666
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Richard K

It is probably best to lock yourself in a closet if you are going to drink....don't try to mingle with the locals... you will get killed for sure... Yeah.. that's the ticket

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Supple Steve
3 minutes ago, Richard K said:

It is probably best to lock yourself in a closet if you are going to drink....don't try to mingle with the locals... you will get killed for sure... Yeah.. that's the ticket

You and Shadow must be the coolest expats in the forum to get loaded with the locals.  Both of you will never be lacking for local friends if your peer group is the Filipino drinking group on the street and in front of the Sarix2 at midnight.  More power to you guys.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
A_Simple_Man
10 minutes ago, Supple Steve said:

You and Shadow must be the coolest expats in the forum to get loaded with the locals

Maybe you will be too, when you've been here a little longer, 7 years is just getting your feet wet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
12 minutes ago, Supple Steve said:

You and Shadow must be the coolest expats in the forum to get loaded with the locals.  Both of you will never be lacking for local friends if your peer group is the Filipino drinking group on the street and in front of the Sarix2 at midnight.  More power to you guys.  

I don't drink in front of sarisari stores, nor on the street. My partying is usually with Filipinos of substance and local upper class musicians from Silliman university music club.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Supple Steve
15 minutes ago, shadow said:

I don't drink in front of sarisari stores, nor on the street. My partying is usually with Filipinos of substance and local upper class musicians from Silliman university music club.

Now your story changes, and validates my point of drinking with decent locals....lol.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
musicman666

The last time I got into a pissed discussion on the street the subject was why do boats float?...I took the corner that it wasn’t based on magic ...after that things got a little heated ...somehow I knew I was hanging out with the wrong crowd.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
smokey

not long ago I was reading two friends of 20 plus years both work same place one married one single .. wife comes to drop off some food ... husband is not there on delivery's  friend takes package .. guy comes back friend gives what wife left and says ...some thing to the affect your wife is a good women to bring you food I wish I could find a women like here..  to the married guys he hears.. your wife is nice looking I want to stick it to her and he kills his friend next day says to the single guy his buddie family I am sorry please forgive me I have a wife I can not go to jail 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
1 hour ago, Supple Steve said:

Now your story changes, and validates my point of drinking with decent locals....lol.  

Show me where my story has changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Supple Steve
9 minutes ago, shadow said:

Show me where my story has changed.

LOL...you went from "relating to the real Filipinos" to hanging out with the upper crust, for starters.  My whole point in this thread is to avoid the low class tambays, but you constantly brag about 'relating' to them.  There's a reason the expat community looks down on you and slanders you..... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
10 minutes ago, Supple Steve said:

LOL...you went from "relating to the real Filipinos" to hanging out with the upper crust, for starters.  My whole point in this thread is to avoid the low class tambays, but you constantly brag about 'relating' to them.  There's a reason the expat community looks down on you and slanders you..... 

Right. Show me anyone here who knows me that looks down on me. You have 26 posts and you think you know me? What nonsense.

I'm going out for a beer now. It's at an open air bar in the plaza. No upper crust, no sari sari, no streetside, just where "real Filipinos" hang out. A place where I am sure you would fear to tread. So just remain quivering and spouting from behind your keyboard, where you are safe near momma's skirt.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
musicman666
2 hours ago, shadow said:

I don't drink in front of sarisari stores, nor on the street. My partying is usually with Filipinos of substance and local upper class musicians from Silliman university music club.

You did say partying with the locals!!! ...so where do you live?....next to this intellectual hang out?...partying with locals and looking at your avatar I naturally assumed it was down and dirty with the guys at the end of the street ...sorry mate but you are changing your story ...back  peddle all you like. 

I could take you to my local hangout which is basically a dug out pit with wood over the top ....go there at night to drink red horse and it will scare the tits out of you if you are sober ...fortunately by that stage of the night I never was.

Edited by musicman666
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
44 minutes ago, shadow said:

...Show me anyone here who knows me that looks down on me...

Like me, when you're a dog, everyone looks down on us...:P

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...