How to Avoid Being Murdered if You're a Foreigner in the Philippines

shadow
21 minutes ago, soupeod said:

That might be a cavite/luzon thing.

You may be onto something there. I certainly do not see many smiling, happy people when I am up there, nothing like here in the least. I suppose if I had to live up there, I would probably not be very smiling and happy either.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• musicman666

• smokey

• Supple Steve

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bob wrote in his blog myphilippinelife.com: “A stable, monogamous married life is prudent. A taste for young boys has gotten many foreigners into trouble. Chasing young women can also expose you to al

Personally my main defence now is to have zero casual relations with locals ...can’t be bothered with trying to run the gauntlet of not inadvertently pissing off their fragile egos ...from my own pers

My first 5 years here I had problems dealing with and understanding the locals. My second 5 years, not so much. The last 5 years, only one time has there been a problem with a very drunken local. I di

Posted Images

Hate is too strong of a word. What's going on is that you can marry a local girl, have kids and live here 20 years and you still won't be accepted by the locals. You'll always be a foreigner. You're kids will be accepted but you will never be...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
sugbu777

Best way to survive...anywhere...don't be an assh***

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Best way to not get murdered in the Philippines.... Dont go there. 

Stay home and get murdered lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
colemanlee
24 minutes ago, Travis said:

Best way to not get murdered in the Philippines.... Dont go there. 

Stay home and get murdered lol

Visit Chicago...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Supple Steve

I think you have to be either extremely naive or delusional to accept the Filipino smiles at face value.  It's obviously a face saving gesture and quite disingenuous, most of the time.  Personally I would rather be around locals who aren't so insecure about themselves and about foreigners, and are comfortable with showing some adult emotions.  Those are the Filipinos that won't shoot you for some trivial matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
A_Simple_Man
27 minutes ago, Supple Steve said:

Personally I would rather be around locals who aren't so insecure about themselves and about foreigners, and are comfortable with showing some adult emotions. 

It is simple a cultural difference.  Some cultures would rather be around someone who smiles and says "Have a nice day" when they really mean "Go feck yourself"  than to be around someone who gives you the finger and says "Go feck yourself" and means it.  I have grown to like the former.  If the locals change to the latter there will be a lot more road rage killings (I suspect) and probably more pissed off people shooting into crowds for no reason.  At least here they have a reason when they kill you.

Supple Steve
6 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

It is simple a cultural difference.  Some cultures would rather be around someone who smiles and says "Have a nice day" when they really mean "Go feck yourself"  than to be around someone who gives you the finger and says "Go feck yourself" and means it.  I have grown to like the former.  If the locals change to the latter there will be a lot more road rage killings (I suspect) and probably more pissed off people shooting into crowds for no reason.  At least here they have a reason when they kill you.

You seem to have missed the point, with your comparisons to the US.   Point being, there are plenty of Filipinos who are secure enough with themselves to not walk around all day with that face-saving, shit-eating, low-intelligence grin on their face.  Those are the ones you want to befriend, if you want to avoid violence, and life a life even remotely based in reality.

Most foreigners live in delusion, and put themselves at risk with their choice of local companions and friends.....they're just happy to have ANY friends, and are drawn towards the happy, friendly smiling ones.  Low hanging fruit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
A_Simple_Man
11 minutes ago, Supple Steve said:

You seem to have missed the point, with your comparisons to the US.

I see you did not miss the point :rofl:   Well maybe you did.  Other cultures are not low in intelligence because of their smile.  The ones who cannot interpret the meaning of the facial expressions are at risk of taking it the wrong way and making problems for themselves.   So you are correct, you should not befriend such people.  However those who understand the locals a little better may have no problem at all being friends with some that you should not befriend.

11 minutes ago, Supple Steve said:

Most foreigners live in delusion, and put themselves at risk with their choice of local companions and friends.....they're just happy to have ANY friends, and are drawn towards the happy, friendly smiling ones.  Low hanging fruit.

This statement suggests to me that you do not understand most foreigners OR most filipinos.  But I bet the filipinas find you handsome :thumbsup:

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Supple Steve
16 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

I see you did not miss the point :rofl:   Well maybe you did.  Other cultures are not low in intelligence because of their smile.  The ones who cannot interpret the meaning of the facial expressions are at risk of taking it the wrong way and making problems for themselves.   So you are correct, you should not befriend such people.  However those who understand the locals a little better may have no problem at all being friends with some that you should not befriend.

This statement suggests to me that you do not understand most foreigners OR most filipinos.  But I bet the filipinas find you handsome :thumbsup:

No need to get defensive, but you certainly proved my point about delusion.  Have fun with your low hanging fruit  :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
smokey

So i am confused if they smile your not going to be killed but if you smile back you might get killed???

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
On 11/2/2017 at 9:07 AM, A_Simple_Man said:

That hits home.

I lived in a nice house on Biliran for 3 years and never had a problem  The property did not have walls around it.  I did not lock the doors.  I left stuff lying around on the front lawn while I went to Cebu for a week and never had a problem.  But other expats in that same area have been murdered, 3 that have made the news this past year.  There are many expats on that island who get along with everyone and have zero problems and there are some who have to leave for their own safety.

I think of this every time someone says they have lived on Mindanao for years and never had a problem.  I agree with you that such anecdotal tidbits don't really prove anything.

The new owners have had the house up for sale for a while now. Confrontation with the neighbours was not a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There has never been a year gone by when some of the locals don't cause some confrontation. All the houses in the barangays to walk past but its mine they choose. They cant actually see the house as it's down the mountain. Now on CCTV is some twat with black hair and red stripes that shouts "Hey Joe", bangs on the gates to piss off two German shepherds and runs off. Starts at once day and increases to three or four times with no response from us.   Hardly a death threat but if you confront him? He will start to throw stones, probably at night. and the situation escalates. 

I do just wish they would leave us alone. I never bother them and expect the same courtesy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
shadow

You guys all stay hidden and quivering in your self imposed prisons, I'm going out now to party with the locals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
16 hours ago, musicman666 said:

Personally my main defence now is to have zero casual relations with locals ...can’t be bothered with trying to run the gauntlet of not inadvertently pissing off their fragile egos ...from my own perspective it’s really no loss.

Drinking is the number way to get killed here or stay out late at night, in our municipality two guys were stabbed to death with a bolo knife one had his heart taken out (local on local violence) over food teasing and the other killed his buddy over bragging about doing  his wife while he working another provincial area, there was one other but I forgot what happened.  

Some examples of what I've gone through:  I got after brother in-law next door for throwing rocks on our house late at night, he'd been doing this every blue moon, he gets a kick out of bulling us but we have kids and he's been doing this for a decade so I had enough of the understanding and  I bitched him out real good so the entire neighborhood could hear me and he came out with his live in woman and a sword he was gonna stab me but a lady that was visiting us took out a huge knife from her purse... Lol I didn't know this until he had shoved the sword into the ground even more angry so I looked back the lady had the knife out and neighbor was also watching.

I've lost count on how many drunks got angry and running up and down the road with bolo knifes chasing people, good thing the gate was shut, in-laws get into arguments bring out the bolo knifes start hacking up their banana trees screaming complete insanity.

When I did drink with my Philippine neighbors they told me that they can never let a bad encounter go so once he has been made angry he will never forget and he won't let it go so eventually you'll be dealing with revenge, I mentioned to him I've had fights with friends but it's let go immediately once it's over but apparently he didn't' get it and so there's no forgiveness, they smile but eventually they will get even.

• Like 2