How to Avoid Being Murdered if You're a Foreigner in the Philippines

Kabisay-an gid
On 11/9/2017 at 12:32 AM, thebob said:

It is my experience that those who hide behind walls and don't learn how to relate to the locals seem to come to a sticky end far more often than those who integrate more readily.

"ANECDOTAL - adjective - (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research. ~ Oxford Dictionaries"

Great! Bob has a completely unsubstantiated opinion - a feeling. SO meaningful - NOT!

On 11/9/2017 at 5:36 AM, smokey said:

people who live in subdivisions do so I think because Zoning is enforced .... a housing area should be just that and so your saying to fit in a guy has to get drunk with locals ? Ha Ha Well guess I will never fit in don't drink 

I live in a high-rise condo with walls and guards when I'm in the Philippines because I value things like peace and quiet, fresh air, etcetera. I'm not hiding/cowering from anybody, I've actually traveled quite extensively in the Philippines - Luzon, Mindanao, Palawan, Leyte, Bohol, Samar, etcetera.

My wife's nanay lives "The Bob Way", with no walls and guards - she's had chickens, pigs, fruits and vegetables stolen on multiple occasions. One of the neighbors killed her little pet dog.

One of my wife's brothers lives "The Bob Way", with no walls and guards - he's also had things stolen from his property, and somebody broke into his internet cafe and stole some of his computer equipment. It's very noisy there, loud motorcycles and trucks whizzing by all day and much of the night, spewing out pollution - karaoke blasting for hours from nearby establishments - not to mention roosters crowing frequently and neighbor's chickens running around and crapping on his property. Numerous dogs barking incessantly at all hours. Vagrants wandering around and "hanging out" in the area are a virtual daily occurrence, typically drunks and/or drug addicts.

As for my condo - no vagrants, no loud motor vehicles spewing pollution, no roosters and chickens, no karaoke, no dogs barking incessantly, no burglaries. I'm satisfied and intend to stay there - I couldn't possibly care less if "Big Bad Bob" thinks I'm cowardly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• musicman666

• smokey

• Supple Steve

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bob wrote in his blog myphilippinelife.com: “A stable, monogamous married life is prudent. A taste for young boys has gotten many foreigners into trouble. Chasing young women can also expose you to al

Personally my main defence now is to have zero casual relations with locals ...can’t be bothered with trying to run the gauntlet of not inadvertently pissing off their fragile egos ...from my own pers

My first 5 years here I had problems dealing with and understanding the locals. My second 5 years, not so much. The last 5 years, only one time has there been a problem with a very drunken local. I di

Posted Images

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I get a kick out of how many expat members talk about how they don't associate with other expats, because they are basically assholes.

So what does that make them to the other expats who think like them...:scratch_head:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
delancey
2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I get a kick out of how many expat members talk about how they don't associate with other expats, because they are basically assholes.

So what does that make them to the other expats who think like them...:scratch_head:

I am no genius obviously but it is called “projecting”. IE:  I’m am miserable so I see it in everybody  else. 

I don’t need anything and you’d swear I just asked for P50K when I say hello to these types. Or the exaggerated attempts to pretend they don’t see you, another winner. Damn dude I’ve been here a bit of time too. I’m good for a cup of coffee on me or a two minute conversation in the grocery line. I’m not going to hurt you and I don’t need to be your best friend but the avoidance thing is weird, to me.

An expat not on this forum is up to over 100 people attending a Thanksgiving buffet at a local hotel. These guys, when I go, are a lot different then the members here. I noticed the some of the members least social here to other foreigners here are some of the ones that have received donations when they fell on hard times or wanted to support a cause. But hey....all foreigner are a-holes.

The guys and partners that attend the buffets are not afraid like that. 

Notice I did not use any names or infer any specific member here...just sayin’.

• Like 4
smokey

I agree 100 % that if you live in a condo which is cheaper then most houses in subdivisions you will have fewer chickens stolen. No self respecting theif unless its tom cruise can scale the 15 story building to steal from you ...  UNLIKE A HOUSE THERE IS ONLY ONE DOOR IN ..of course that same protection you get from living there is what will kill you in a fire unlike a condo with one exit a house has many.. Now if you buy a missle silo well better yet oh wait dont buy one in a flood area

• Like 1
Headshot
3 hours ago, delancey said:

I am no genius obviously but it is called “projecting”. IE:  I’m am miserable so I see it in everybody  else. 

I don’t need anything and you’d swear I just asked for P50K when I say hello to these types. Or the exaggerated attempts to pretend they don’t see you, another winner. Damn dude I’ve been here a bit of time too. I’m good for a cup of coffee on me or a two minute conversation in the grocery line. I’m not going to hurt you and I don’t need to be your best friend but the avoidance thing is weird, to me.

An expat not on this forum is up to over 100 people attending a Thanksgiving buffet at a local hotel. These guys, when I go, are a lot different then the members here. I noticed the some of the members least social here to other foreigners here are some of the ones that have received donations when they fell on hard times or wanted to support a cause. But hey....all foreigner are a-holes.

The guys and partners that attend the buffets are not afraid like that. 

Notice I did not use any names or infer any specific member here...just sayin’.

I also attend the Cebu Expats Dinner Club dinners whenever I can (most months), so if you see an older guy with his beautiful wife and young daughter (6) there, feel free to come over and introduce yourself. I am always happy to meet new people (and I will guarantee that I won't ask for anything).

...and if anybody else would like to join this group of outgoing people, PM me, and I will put you in touch with Gary, who is in charge of the group. We have many good people through the group, which is not limited to any single nationality or type of expat. There may be assholes among the group, but I haven't met many of them.

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

There may be assholes among the group, but I haven't met many of them.

Some things are just to good to pass up.

Have you looked in the mirror lately...:P

• Haha 1
Headshot
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

Some things are just to good to pass up.

Have you looked in the mirror lately...:P

Oh ... and I thought you were my friend. :cry:

• Haha 1
Davaoeno
8 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

"ANECDOTAL - adjective - (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research. ~ Oxford Dictionaries"

Great! Bob has a completely unsubstantiated opinion - a feeling. SO meaningful - NOT!

I live in a high-rise condo with walls and guards when I'm in the Philippines because I value things like peace and quiet, fresh air, etcetera. I'm not hiding/cowering from anybody, I've actually traveled quite extensively in the Philippines - Luzon, Mindanao, Palawan, Leyte, Bohol, Samar, etcetera.

My wife's nanay lives "The Bob Way", with no walls and guards - she's had chickens, pigs, fruits and vegetables stolen on multiple occasions. One of the neighbors killed her little pet dog.

One of my wife's brothers lives "The Bob Way", with no walls and guards - he's also had things stolen from his property, and somebody broke into his internet cafe and stole some of his computer equipment. It's very noisy there, loud motorcycles and trucks whizzing by all day and much of the night, spewing out pollution - karaoke blasting for hours from nearby establishments - not to mention roosters crowing frequently and neighbor's chickens running around and crapping on his property. Numerous dogs barking incessantly at all hours. Vagrants wandering around and "hanging out" in the area are a virtual daily occurrence, typically drunks and/or drug addicts.

As for my condo - no vagrants, no loud motor vehicles spewing pollution, no roosters and chickens, no karaoke, no dogs barking incessantly, no burglaries. I'm satisfied and intend to stay there - I couldn't possibly care less if "Big Bad Bob" thinks I'm cowardly.

I rarely agree with anything that you post but this time you are right on !!     Bob set things up to be confrontational. Yes  I live behind walls - but  I don't " hide" behind them  or " cower" in my house . 

Nor do I attack or put down those who chose to live differently than I do .  I suspect a little bit of jealousy is at work here :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe to point out to the locals the whereabouts of a foreigner that u really don't like then saying that he is a very rich person and always walks around with lots of cash in his pockets and how u wish to be rich also instead of being broke always.

• Haha 2
smokey

Who cares where you live when you number is up kiss you ass goodby the thread is how to avoid being murdered.  Well there is no way to avoid this i do see the humor in living in a condo means fresh air guess if you never come out that helps just speed dial jollybe for food wait then there is heart problem no where is safe from the reaper 

All my 14 years in the philippines i have never had anyone steal a chicken from me and i live in a house

delancey
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

I also attend the Cebu Expats Dinner Club dinners whenever I can (most months), so if you see an older guy with his beautiful wife and young daughter (6) there, feel free to come over and introduce yourself. I am always happy to meet new people (and I will guarantee that I won't ask for anything).

...and if anybody else would like to join this group of outgoing people, PM me, and I will put you in touch with Gary, who is in charge of the group. We have many good people through the group, which is not limited to any single nationality or type of expat. There may be assholes among the group, but I haven't met many of them.

Sounds like a nice family. I guess my only point is les miserabes will not interact with social foreigners because they are miserable they will only see other foreigners the same way. Not that I am Mr. congeniality. But damn, I can say hello or chat for sixty seconds and see other expats as likable.

It would help if you were extremely unattractive since I know the wife is beautiful and so is your daughter so the contrast would help identify you.

Now with smokey I just look for the 1990 version “IT” movie clown everywhere I go.

Davaoeno
9 minutes ago, smokey said:

Who cares where you live when you number is up kiss you ass goodby the thread is how to avoid being murdered.  Well there is no way to avoid this i do see the humor in living in a condo means fresh air guess if you never come out that helps just speed dial jollybe for food wait then there is heart problem no where is safe from the reaper 

All my 14 years in the philippines i have never had anyone steal a chicken from me and i live in a house

But Robert - the only chicken you have ever had at your house was lechon manok !! :P

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Haha 1
Headshot
2 hours ago, delancey said:

It would help if you were extremely unattractive since I know the wife is beautiful and so is your daughter so the contrast would help identify you.

:ROFLMAO: 

My wife finds me attractive, and that's all that matters. I'm glad she does, and I haven't suggested that she gets glasses yet. There aren't many at the dinners with children, so just introduce yourself to all, and you will likely get lucky. We'll be at the Saturday dinner this month.