Sign in to follow this  
softail

How to Avoid Being Murdered if You're a Foreigner in the Philippines

softail

Bob wrote in his blog myphilippinelife.com: “A stable, monogamous married life is prudent. A taste for young boys has gotten many foreigners into trouble. Chasing young women can also expose you to all sorts of dangers; from her jealous or conniving boyfriend or from her family. If you live in a city, living in a gated, guarded subdivision probably is safer. It’s not perfect, but low-life characters may find it a bit harder, bit more intimidating, more frightening to get in at night, and a bit harder to flee. This only applies to subdivisions with real security including roving patrols at night. It’s no accident that Filipinos move to such subdivisions if they can afford it. Many subdivisions put up a show of security with a fancy guardhouse, but often anyone is allowed in. [Source: myphilippinelife.com]

Secure subdivisions don’t exist outside the bigger cities and may be less necessary, but don’t fool yourself. Many foreigners have been killed in their bucolic rural homes. Foreigners like my wife and I can happily report that they have lived in such and such a place for two or three or five years and have never had a problem. We don’t feel such anecdotal tidbits really prove anything.

Observe how affluent Filipinos provide for their security. As mentioned earlier. foreigners sometimes belittle walls, and gated subdivisions and other security precautions that seem over-done or distasteful from an American or European perspective, as though they know better than Filipinos what the dangers are and how to provide security.

Here a few specific security suggestions: 1) Keep gates locked at all times and doors at night. Night means after dark. 2) Don’t leave your home unattended for any extended period of time and certainly not overnight. If you are away, have a family member or trusted maid stay in the home. 3) Maintain good control over who comes into your compound or house, especially at night. Unless you really trust your maid, make sure she can’t let people in. Once again, if you are murdered, it’s probably because you or someone else let the killer in. Recently a foreign retiree was watching TV with his wife. The dog started to bark. The man opened the door to see what the problem was. He was immediately stabbed in the stomach by an intruder waiting there. He died on the way to a hospital. 4) Have one or more noisy dogs. Have the police emergency number programmed into your cellphone and keep your cellphone in your bedroom. Consider a secure bedroom door and don’t challenge any burglar. If someone breaks in, stay in your bedroom and let them steal what they like. Have a very loud panic alarm and lights when can be switched on from your locked bedroom.

In one comment Jerry says, “It is definitely unwise to join a ‘inuman’ or ‘drinking’ party by yourself. Especially if you don’t know the people really well.” We concur with this advice 110 percent. When you are with inebriated men and women and you are also inebriated, a wrong move or comment can easily escalate into something violent. A comment or flirtation which would be acceptable in your home may provoke anger in another culture.

If you do have a lot of money, keep it in a foreign bank. Information about your bank balances in your Philippine bank are not necessarily secure. Don’t brag about or discuss your finances with any one, including other foreigners. Make sure everyone is aware that you are living off of a pension, that when you die the money stops. Don’t have a safe in the house. Everyone will assume it is full of money, even if it’s not. Don’t withdraw large amounts of cash from your bank account. There have been cases where bank employees sent text messages about large withdrawals to accomplices outside the bank. The foreigner was robbed at gunpoint. Pay for major purchases (vehicle, house) with a manager’s check from your Philippine bank.

I thought there was some great points made in this article.  There is a lot more interesting reading to be had as this is only part of the article at the link: http://factsanddetails.com/southeast-asia/Philippines/sub5_6f/entry-3910.html

Edited by softail
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

smokey

great post bet you wont see that in the add its more fun in the Philippines ...... keep 4 dogs local dogs .... breeder dogs cost money and even an local   knows if you buy a dog for 30,000 peso its not going to have rabies which is what scares the bad guy way more then the dog itself......

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

sugbu777

Good post, and thanks for providing the link. I read that too.

delancey

Typical subdivision with feel good guards is no safer. The guards monitor egress, ingress and are generally squatterish or just above.

The one with a former President living there and roving guards, or similar. a different class, yes.

You simply exchange one type of safety (guards) for one type of risk (same pool of guards).

Prefer condo for ease of security, no I don’t own one.

The other elements of the link no thoughts other then thanks for posting. Sure can’t hurt.

A_Simple_Man
3 hours ago, softail said:

Foreigners like my wife and I can happily report that they have lived in such and such a place for two or three or five years and have never had a problem. We don’t feel such anecdotal tidbits really prove anything.

That hits home.

I lived in a nice house on Biliran for 3 years and never had a problem  The property did not have walls around it.  I did not lock the doors.  I left stuff lying around on the front lawn while I went to Cebu for a week and never had a problem.  But other expats in that same area have been murdered, 3 that have made the news this past year.  There are many expats on that island who get along with everyone and have zero problems and there are some who have to leave for their own safety.

I think of this every time someone says they have lived on Mindanao for years and never had a problem.  I agree with you that such anecdotal tidbits don't really prove anything.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Like 2

Goetz1965

1) If someone wants to kill you - he will 
2) Its all about being nice and being integrated - if you just say "Good morning" to your neighbours, gurads, helpers they will know you as a good guy - so have no reason to kill you.
3) If youre just lazy drinking beer and watching football on tv you sure have no chance to self defense you against someone stabbing you - so do some sport and stay fit
4) If you know you have enemies that are after you - take 10K php and get them killed first ... Lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

sugbu777
18 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

4) If you know you have enemies that are after you - take 10K php and get them killed first ... Lol

:bestpost::rofl:

• Haha 1

M.C.A.
24 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

1) If someone wants to kill you - he will 
2) Its all about being nice and being integrated - if you just say "Good morning" to your neighbours, gurads, helpers they will know you as a good guy - so have no reason to kill you.
3) If youre just lazy drinking beer and watching football on tv you sure have no chance to self defense you against someone stabbing you - so do some sport and stay fit

1) If someone wants to kill you - he will   (true statement)  But the other things listed, don't waste your time loving your neighbors they hate the foriegner always.

Edited by M.C.A.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

shadow
1 hour ago, M.C.A. said:

But the other things listed, don't waste your time loving your neighbors they hate the foriegner always.

I don't see that. Yes, there are some haters, but I see no more haters here than anywhere I have ever lived. I do see more smiles than anywhere I have ever lived. Maybe I just have better neighbors.

Have you considered moving?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

smokey

Well i have not had any problems so far as to the house condo deal true its easier for a theif to break into a house easy to climb two story house then 15 story condo.  Same protection against burglers works against you in a fire so no where is safe when its your time its your time

• Like 3

M.C.A.
5 hours ago, shadow said:

I don't see that. Yes, there are some haters, but I see no more haters here than anywhere I have ever lived. I do see more smiles than anywhere I have ever lived. Maybe I just have better neighbors.

Have you considered moving?

Shadow you are right I do see more smiles here than anywhere else and at first it was nice but now I don't look at it always as genuine.

We just might have the same neighbors, always be on your guard but I agree you do get an interaction something that won't happen stateside at least the Philippine citizen will make conversation.... It turns out that I miss the grumpy but honest faces in ND, I could do without the plastic.

Our personal safety is critical the citizen here is very clever and like fooling an animal into a trap they are experts also with tricking human beings, so many ways to scam and so many bad character's and their ambitious friends.  Another spot where I feel expats are tricked into a false sense of security would be with the barangay officials on up the chain what a dangerous liaison, I here bragging frequently from some... whoa that's just crazy talk.

Edited by M.C.A.
  • Like 2

shadow
31 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

Shadow you are right I do see more smiles here than anywhere else and at first it was nice but now I don't look at it always as genuine.

We just might have the same neighbors, always be on your guard but I agree you do get an interaction something that won't happen stateside at least the Philippine citizen will make conversation.... It turns out that I miss the grumpy but honest faces in ND, I could do without the plastic.

Our personal safety is critical the citizen here is very clever and like fooling an animal into a trap they are experts also with tricking human beings, so many ways to scam and so many bad character's and their ambitious friends.  Another spot where I feel expats are tricked into a false sense of security would be with the barangay officials on up the chain what a dangerous liaison, I here bragging frequently from some... whoa that's just crazy talk.

I encountered far more plastic people and scammers in any given year in Wyoming or Oregon, than I have the last 10 years here.

Sometimes it is what you put into it. If you walk around looking like a grumpy old man, expect to get treated like one. Live a little, smile a little, laugh a lot. It makes the world around you much more pleasant for everyone, but mostly for you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

RangerUp

The biggest lesson a foreigner needs to learn is that, unlike their own nation, a physical fight is not the escalated outcome of a verbal dispute, drunken or otherwise.

If you cross a threshold, you won't get pushed or punched. You'll get a surprise knife in the gut, or a rock into your skull.

• Like 4

smokey

watch the series women who kill with piers morgan..... people do some strange stuff.... one women marries rich older guy.... has a pre nup... divorce she gets 24,000 dollars ... dead she is a millionaire...  she claims a bad guy broke into the house while her husband is watching super bowl.. sneaks upstairs finds a gun they just bought well she bought takes that gun shoots her husband 6 times collects all the jewelry and his Rolex and takes all that and the gun and hides it in her car ... for some strange reason and it has nothing to do with her having a boyfriend she meet in AA who she called 160 times in one week as they were just friends 

• Haha 1

musicman666

Personally my main defence now is to have zero casual relations with locals ...can’t be bothered with trying to run the gauntlet of not inadvertently pissing off their fragile egos ...from my own perspective it’s really no loss.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3