Sign in to follow this  
Jay

1/2 inch pipe clamps/hangers

Jay

Well that was useful to learn that they're also called pipe clips and saddle hangers and that they're also used for conduit. So if I can't find them in the plumbing area I'll try electrical.

I know they have them here somewhere because the GI pipe that supplies water to my shower is attached to the CR wall with them.

Jawny

I have seen these in many hardware stores and as well, in the curtain sections of department stores.

Ive had a few occasions where I had to place a pipe against a flat surface, and I used scrap sheet metal with a couple of holes. In effect, made my own.  

There are also plastic devices used to hold electrical conduit which might work.  These typcally use cement nails, not screws.

Woolf

I am going to atlantic hardware tabunok tomorrow

I will have a look to see if they have some

size and price

@Jay

Edited by Woolf

SkyMan

I've bought them before in a ten pack.  Either Belmont or Home Builders.  

2 hours ago, Jawny said:

I used scrap sheet metal with a couple of holes. In effect, made my own.  

That does work but not as good as the real deal because the sheet metal strip tends to bend at the hole making it difficult to drive a nail or screw.  It depends on how much you care how it looks.  If it's to a non concrete surface you can drive a couple nails and bend them over the pipe.  If concrete you can drive a couple masonry nails and then twist some tie wire around the nails.

SkyMan
5 hours ago, Jay said:

It's not for water pipes.

You may want to bring a sample of the pipe to get the right size.  Water and conduit pipes are different thickness.

Jay
On 11/1/2017 at 10:24 PM, SkyMan said:

You may want to bring a sample of the pipe to get the right size.  Water and conduit pipes are different thickness.

It's for 1/2 inch PVC water pipe, but what I meant was it's not going to be used as actual water pipe. The only sample I have is a 10 foot long length of pipe and I'm not going to carry that around with me. If I get the hangers at a hardware store they should have 1/2" PVC pipes there that they can try it on to see if it fits.

Jay
On 11/1/2017 at 10:21 PM, SkyMan said:

I've bought them before in a ten pack.  Either Belmont or Home Builders.  

That does work but not as good as the real deal because the sheet metal strip tends to bend at the hole making it difficult to drive a nail or screw.  It depends on how much you care how it looks.  If it's to a non concrete surface you can drive a couple nails and bend them over the pipe.  If concrete you can drive a couple masonry nails and then twist some tie wire around the nails.

I plan to head down to the highway on Tuesday or Wednesday and check out Belmont. Ten is more than I'll need but it can't hurt to have extras in case I need them for something later. I'm also going to need some other things such as a soldering gun that will probably be of better quality at Belmont vs. Unitop. I'm also going to need a masonry drill bit in the right size, and one or two other things. I'll check out their generators too while I'm there, for that other little project of mine that got put on hold for awhile.

SkyMan
6 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's for 1/2 inch PVC water pipe, but what I meant was it's not going to be used as actual water pipe. The only sample I have is a 10 foot long length of pipe and I'm not going to carry that around with me. If I get the hangers at a hardware store they should have 1/2" PVC pipes there that they can try it on to see if it fits.

I usually have scraps of pipe laying around or can cut off a piece.  Since it's PVC it doesn't have to be exact anyway, but at least take a measurement.

SkyMan
14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ten is more than I'll need but it can't hurt to have extras in case I need them for something later.

One nice thing about the RP is that quite often you can buy individual pieces of whatever with the cost being nearly the same as if you paid a percentage of the bulk rate.  Not so in the US where you might have to buy a ten pack when you only need 2 but the manufacturer has decided it is only cost effective for them to sell in packs of 10.  If you only need a couple, Home Builders or Atlantic might be your best bet.  Or have you tried one of the local mom & pop hardwares?  Show them the pic you posted here.  They might only have the one sided version if that's ok.

Jay

I found some at Belmont but they only had them in 1 inch size. I decided to just switch to 1 inch pipes for my project: I think the 1/2 inch ones are too flexible and bendy for what I have in mind anyhow, as I decided after I'd already bought them. I guess I'll just put them aside in case I need them for something else later, like replacing a leaky GI pipe. :) (Almost all of the pipe between the outside of the fence and the meter was already replaced with PE hose not long ago but there are still GI pipes on the property.) The 1 inch pipes will be a lot stronger.

FYI what I'm doing is making a mast for a vertical antenna for my shortwave radio. The antenna will be a 7.5 meter length of 2-conductor zip cord attached to the top of the mast, and the bottom will be soldered to some coax cable which will lead from the antenna to the radio. Something like this:

bob_grove_vertical_sw_antenna.jpg

It's actually 7.5 meters, not 7.3 as mentioned in the diagram (typo.)

Edited by Jay