Sign in to follow this  
Thorvald

Jealously really reared its ugly head this time..Does anyone know of a good lawyer in the Phils?

Semper paratus

My question would be how long have you been married, and why is your wife not in the U.S. with you ?

• Like 1

shadow
25 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

My question would be how long have you been married, and why is your wife not in the U.S. with you ?

And how long has it been now since you were here to visit her?

• Like 1

Headshot

We used to have a LinC Forums member who lived in Pagadian, but my friend RetiredNavyGuy died after he moved there. I tried to talk him out of moving to Pagadian, but he wouldn't listen either. Whatever you have to do, it will be in Pagadian. If Shadow hadn't already bled all over this topic, I would have suggested sending him and his wife down to find the truth (they are private investigators), but since Pagadian is deep in Muslim territory, and since he may not want to go down there anyway, I won't. It sounds like it has been a steady stream of requests for money since you have been married, this just being the latest, so I can understand the skepticism.

If you go to Pagadian, keep your senses tuned to high. If this really did happen to your wife, then it could just as easily happen to you (or worse). In fact, this could be a ploy to lure you there. As far as you living in the US and your wife living deep in the heart of Muslim territory, I can only say, "What were you thinking?"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thorvald
2 hours ago, Monsoon said:

One question...

Did you pay last time? 

Hell no!

45 minutes ago, shadow said:

And how long has it been now since you were here to visit her?

too long

1 hour ago, Semper paratus said:

a long time and because I am stupid

2 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Is she held in (and eventually going to court in) the Pagadian City in the province of Zamboanga del Sur?  If this is the place then you may want a lawyer who knows the politics of the area and is actually willing to go to the province of Zamboanga del Sur.  It is unlikely that an expat living in Cebu will have the number of such a lawyer.

If you are determined to accept this story at face value, knowing from this thread that others (including the judge) will not, then perhaps you need an arbitrator rather than a lawyer.  Someone who will negotiate how much cash it will take to get her out of jail and out of the province.  It will be cheaper and faster to play their "under the table" game and if she does not wish to leave Zamboanga province once you get her out of jail then you need to start re-examining your relationship.

Yes.

Thorvald
2 hours ago, billy said:

Why was she carrying a knife? You as her husband if you knew she had to carry a knife and it was dangerous why didn't you move her out of there? Looks like you have some of the blame

I might have sent her a knife in her balikbayan box, and no I had no idea she was arming herself with a knife. Her relatives were getting insanely jealous and I moved her away from them but it didnt stop with her relatives.

Thorvald
3 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

The OP did much more than ask for the name of a lawyer- he told us an almost unbelievable story and filled it full of insults regarding filipinos ! [   "by and large" all Filipino feel this way "every time" ]

Once you start telling stories and accusing people it becomes much more than a simple request for information.

I am saying this, because when I lived with my wife in Bacolod, the amount of hatred and jealous threats she was recieving from other filipinos was staggering. They said it to her behind my back. It was all because I looked different. Because I was a kano.

• Like 1

smokey

Yes a go between but first why and what is critical either way hold on tight to your wallet and this must of made the news?   You can go solo and just send money or stealth and find out if this is going to be a repeated problem or this goes beyond normal if you shocked over 60 000 peso cost its not going to get better never mess with a locals money i know someone who can look into it maybe but if they do they r not going to do it for free my son had a problem a few years ago and i spent 200 000

Edited by smokey
  • Like 2

Jawny
16 minutes ago, Thorvald said:

I am saying this, because when I lived with my wife in Bacolod, the amount of hatred and jealous threats she was recieving from other filipinos was staggering. They said it to her behind my back. It was all because I looked different. Because I was a kano.

According to the gossip of local merchants and even some neighbors, I beat my wife and am generally a cruel person toward her.  

After hearing this indirectly or directly, for several years, my wife asked directly how these people came to their conclusions.  It was simple observation.  They noticed that my wife walked quickly when she shopped and would refuse to buy some items in poor condition.  This was clear evidence that she had enormous fear of me and that she didn’t want me to be upset or I would beat her.

Makes perfect sense. Right?

Just to be clear (you’ll just have to take my word on this), I do not beat my wife or treat her cruelly.  

I’ve not heard of "jealous threats" before, but have heard of envy followed by insults.  For example, when I park I prefer to exit using my own eyes and skills.  I have no faith in the local guy who hangs around and "directs traffic" for those parking.  In reality, they just attempt to block traffic with their hand gestures.  If I hit someone, it becomes my fault, so I prefer to use my own skills and judgment.  I will wave them off when they begin their assistance.  I did this a few times and one of the parking guys angrily said to my wife (just assuming I didn’t understand) that I was a cheap bastard and should share my wealth.

I'm only commenting about this to give the op a suggestion that there will always be individuals who judge others by some sort of standards they possess, not uniformly accepted by everyone.  In effect, they’re idiots.  

Regrettably, some wives and gifrlfriends of foreigners share their wealth in a way that ends up being a problem later.  This is not exclusive to foreigners.  My BIL has an uncle living in Germany.  When the uncle visits, he shows off by hosting parties and handing out cash gifts.  Sometimes, even after giving s cash gift to my BIL, the uncle has to borrow money from him as he nears the end of his vacation.

Good luck with the efforts to get your wife her freedom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A_Simple_Man
3 hours ago, Supple Steve said:

it's not easy for most of us to run away with our tail between our legs, so sometimes we tend to stay much too long, wear out our welcome, and make the situation even worse. 

Do you mean like this fellow?

Jackson.jpg.89ae7121466aa4f4f94dc1804bbc343a.jpg

Lets hope it does not get this bad for our Op

• Like 2

rep1
1 hour ago, Thorvald said:

Bacolod is the Bacolod city??

Flakes

Friend of mine had a hot thai gf after a while she got arrested for fraud with cheques he bailed her out for 200,000 pesos then 2 years later she still got a jail  sentence of 5 years. I think she still inside now and finally my friend moved on. I understand ur wife situation is different as it could be self defence. Just saying bailing out is just a delay but lateron u might pay again to clear the case.

billy
2 hours ago, Thorvald said:

I've never had that kind of jealousy or heard of it. i'm sure there is a little jealousy sometimes but not that extent. maybe your wife has some of the blame. you have to look at both sides not just your wifes side. now pay them off to drop charges and get her the hell out of there.

billy
2 hours ago, Thorvald said:

I might have sent her a knife in her balikbayan box, and no I had no idea she was arming herself with a knife. Her relatives were getting insanely jealous and I moved her away from them but it didnt stop with her relatives.

if you sent her a knife to defend herself then your to blame for all of this. you as her protector didn't do your job you should have moved her out. if she was having problems elsewhere also i think we now know where the problems started and that is with your wife. also being married and living apart is another problem. i'm not trying to be disrespectful only telling you what you should already know.

Alfred E. Neuman

Aim for the root cause.

• Like 1