Soupeod

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/philippines

Summary

Still current at:
26 October 2017
Updated:
24 October 2017
Latest update:

Terrorism section – militant groups operate in rural areas throughout the Philippines. Armed clashes between security forces and militant groups can occur at any time without warning; before travelling to rural areas, you should research the area thoroughly; Money section – you may only bring up to PHP50,000 into the Philippines without prior authorisation from the Philippines Central Bank; if you plan to bring more than PHP50,000 into the country, you’ll need to obtain written authorisation from the Philippines Central Bank

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to western and central Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago because of terrorist activity and clashes between the military and insurgent groups. The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the remainder of Mindanao (excluding Camiguin, Dinagat and Siargao Islands) and to the south of Cebu province, up to and including the municipalities of Dalaguete and Badian, due to the threat of terrorism.

Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in the Philippines, including in Manila. Terrorist groups continue to plan attacks and have the capacity and the intent to carry out attacks at any time and anywhere in the country, including in places visited by foreigners, like airports, shopping malls, public transport, including the metro system, and places of worship. You should remain vigilant at all times and report anything suspicious to the local authorities.

There’s been an increase in kidnapping of foreign nationals, including attacks targeting foreigners and tourists since late 2015. Terrorist groups continue to plan kidnap operations against western nationals in the Philippines. This threat extends throughout the Philippines, both on land and at sea, but is particularly acute in the southern Philippines (Mindanao, Palawan and central Visayas, including Siquijor and Dumaguete). See Terrorism

There’s an ongoing armed conflict between government forces and militants in Marawi City, Mindanao.

Martial law is in place across the whole of Mindanao until 31 December 2017. There may be curfews and checkpoints. Monitor media reporting and follow the instructions of local authorities.

A ‘state of national emergency on account of lawless violence’ remains in place across the rest of the country. Expect random checkpoints, security patrols and a more visible routine security presence. You should co-operate with the Philippine authorities and allow extra time to pass through security checks. Make sure you carry a form of identification with you.

An outbreak of Avian Influenza (bird flu) in farm birds has been confirmed in San Luis, Pampanga province, in August 2017. A controlled zone has been put in place and all vehicles are being sprayed with disinfectant on departure. Find out more about how to reduce your risk of infection on the NHS Choices website. See Health

There’s a high incidence of street crime and robbery throughout the Philippines. You should take sensible precautions.

Prison sentences in the Philippines are severe. The judicial system can result in long-term detention until a court hearing takes place. Detention facilities are far below UK standards. Don’t become involved with drugs of any kind. Penalties for importing and using illegal drugs are particularly severe.

Around 20 typhoons hit the Philippines each year. Most typhoons occur from June to December. There may be flooding and landslides. You should monitor the progress of approaching storms and follow the advice of the local authorities, including any evacuation orders. See Natural disasters

UK health authorities have classified the Philippines as having a risk of Zika virus transmission. For information and advice about the risks associated with Zika virus, visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Around 154,000 British nationals visited the Philippines in 2015. Most visits are trouble-free.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

• Like 1

RogerDat

Are you only allowed to bring P50,000., or can you bring other instruments such as dollars. This is all over the news, but is not stated clearly what it means, as usual. The peso limit has always been there.

Paddy

Most of the travel web sites I just checked still refer to the PHP 10,000 limit for bringing pesos in without having to get approval from Bangko Sentral. Bringing in foreign currencies is limited to US$10,000 or equivalent without having to declare the excess to Customs.

I got this off a Philippines Embassy web site (Singapore Embassy):

"The increase to PHP 50,000 in the allowable amount of Philippine currency brought in or out of the Philippines took effect on 15 September 2016, per Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Circular No. 922, series of 2016, dated 23 August 2016, titled “The Amendments of the Rules on Cross-Border Transfer of Local Currency” "

Here's the actual doc:

c922.pdf

• Thanks 1

Paddy

On the subject of Foreign Currency, this is an extract of a BSP Document (faqfxreg.pdf):

19. Is there any restriction or limit in the amount of foreign currency that a person may bring in or take out of the Philippines? There is no restriction or limit on the amount of foreign currency that a person may bring in or take out of the Philippines. However, any person bringing in or taking out of the Philippines foreign currency, as well as other FX-denominated bearer monetary instruments, (whereby title thereto passes to another by endorsement, assignment or delivery), in excess of US$10,000.00 or its equivalent in other foreign currency must declare such fact in writing and furnish information on the source and purpose of the transport of such currency or monetary instruments using the prescribed Foreign Currency and Other FXDenominated Bearer Monetary Instruments Declaration Form. The form is available at the Bureau of Customs desk in the arrival/departure areas of all international airports and seaports. A copy of the form may also be downloaded from the FX Manual (Annex K) which is posted at the BSP website16 . Failure to do so shall subject the violator to sanctions, including confiscation of the foreign currency or monetary instruments involved.

The document is titled:

BSP Foreign Exchange Regulations June 2017 International Operations Department 1 BANGKO SENTRAL NG PILIPINAS (BSP) RULES ON FOREIGN EXCHANGE TRANSACTIONS

• Like 1

musicman666

Nobody ever checks...and even if they found more within reason they would probably turn a blind eye.

sierra01

I brought £10k with me in January, it was over the $10k limit so I declared it at the airport.  Filled in a simple form, got a piece of paper confirming the declaration and that was it.  5 minutes and I was on my way again, no awkward questions or anything.

• Thanks 2

hydro

The travel warning covers the Southern end of Cebu up to Dalaguete. I have a house in Dalaguete and travel to the Southern end of the Island all the time. I see no major Police or army check points, just the usual not very common stops for licence checks. Am i missing something? 

Has anyone any further information as to why the travel warning is in place for the lower part of Cebu island?

Travis

Has anyone been to Palawan recently? I would love to go but it doesn't sound advisable. 

RogerDat

If they find more than you declared, you loose it AND go to jail maybe. Do not do it, report it.

My nice goes there all the time, but I would not at my age. Limited health care and transportation. They have kidnapped AFP men there some years back.

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, Travis said:

Has anyone been to Palawan recently? I would love to go but it doesn't sound advisable. 

I have been to Palawan 4 times. The last time was about 8 months ago  .  All the way to El Nido .  I intend  to go there again soon.

softail
1 hour ago, Travis said:

Will be spending a few days in December, my 2nd trip, will be doing the underground river again.  Just a beautiful place.

Edited by softail

hydro
3 hours ago, hydro said:

The travel warning covers the Southern end of Cebu up to Dalaguete. I have a house in Dalaguete and travel to the Southern end of the Island all the time. I see no major Police or army check points, just the usual not very common stops for licence checks. Am i missing something? 

Has anyone any further information as to why the travel warning is in place for the lower part of Cebu island?

Some further information. The warning comes from the US Governments warning on the 3rd of Nov 2016 in relation to an increased threat of Kidnapping. The US has not removed this warning and the UK and Australian governments have not changed their warnings. Bohol and Siquijor are also covered in this warning.

Dalaguete was mentioned in this 3rd of Nov warning because a local thought they saw a person in Dalaguete who they believed could be a terrorist. At the time extensive Police and Army searches in the area and the mountains behind Dalaguete found nobody or any evidence of a terrorist plot. At the time the residents of Dalaguete were very impressed by the actions of the authorities. There is no increased Police activity in town at present, all is well and peaceful.

It would be interesting to see if the US has any more recent evidence of a terrorist plot in our town because at as of now the warnings being issued by the US, UK and Australian governments appear to be based on information that is nearly a year old.   

• Thanks 1

Paul

If I followed travel advisories issued by the US government, I wouldn't have traveled to many places. I'm sure other governments are just as full of fecal matter with their CYA notices.

• Thanks 1

Headshot
7 hours ago, Travis said:

I will be at the north end of Palawan this next week. I'll let you know how it goes. There are no credible threats against the northern half of Palawan right now that I know of. Dragging up travel advisories from more than a year ago (that were based on specific intelligence) doesn't make any sense to me. They are no longer valid.

• Thanks 2

Travis
5 hours ago, Headshot said:

I will be at the north end of Palawan this next week. I'll let you know how it goes. There are no credible threats against the northern half of Palawan right now that I know of. Dragging up travel advisories from more than a year ago (that were based on specific intelligence) doesn't make any sense to me. They are no longer valid.

Thanks Headshot. I look forward to your report.