Sign in to follow this  
Angie

Cebuano Causatives and Imperatives

Angie

How do these sentences differ from each other?

1. Pasudlan nako ang baldi ug tubig.

2. Pasudlan nako ni John ang baldi ug tubig.

3. Pasudlon nako ang iro.

4. Pasudla si Karl.

5. Pasudli ni Gayle ang baso ug gatas.

I challenge those who have studied and learned the Cebuano language, give this your best shot!!! Let's have some fun!

Angie

How do these sentences differ from each other?

pa = has a lot of uses but in these sentences, it's used as the causative verb "have, let" in English.

If you notice, the main verb in these sentences is "sulod" which has a lot of meanings, 1.) inside 2.) go or come inside 3.) fill something with 4.) put something inside.

Before the causative "pa"is attached to it, the verb first underwent the morphological process of "Deletion" in which the last vowel sound is deleted. Then, the morphological process "Metathesis" is followed in which two adjacent phonemes are swapped as illustrated below.

Deletion = sulod = delete the last vowel sound, giving us "suld"

Metathesis = suld = swap the two adjacent phonemes /l/ and /d/, giving us sudl

sudl = is the verb stem and the causative "pa" can now be attached to it plus the suffixes that will determine the tense, voice and mood of the verb.

pasudl + an/ on/ a/ i

These sentences are all in the Passive Voice

1. Pasudlan nako ang baldi ug tubig. = I will have the bucket filled with water.

This is a sentence in the Indirect Passive Voice, Future Tense, the focus is on the Beneficiary or for whom the action is done. This is called the Indirect Object in the English Grammar.

The speaker is causing someone to do the action of filling the bucket with water but the doer of the action is not mentioned in the sentence.

The English equivalent pattern is "have something done" "I will have the bucket filled with water."

Focus of the sentence : "ang baldi"

Speaker : the causer of the action

Doer of the action : not mentioned

2. Pasudlan nako ni John ang baldi ug tubig. = I will have John fill the bucket with water.

This has the same explanation as above. The only difference is that the doer of the action is mentioned in the sentence.

The English equivalent pattern is "have someone do something" I will have John fill the bucket with water.

Focus of the sentence : "ang baldi"

Doer of the action : John

3. Pasudlon nako ang iro. = I will let the dog in./I will let the dog get inside. ( Literal translation)

This is a sentence in the Direct Passive Voice, Future Tense, the focus is on the object with which the action is done, the direct receiver of the action. This is called the Direct Object in the English Grammar.

Focus of the sentence : "ang iro"

Speaker : the doer of the action

4. Pasudla si Karl. = Let Karl in.

This is a sentence in the Direct Passive Voice, Imperative (Command), the speaker is causing someone to do the action of letting Karl in.

Focus of the sentence :""si Karl"

Doer of the action : not mentioned, implied "you" (You) let Karl in.

5. Pasudli ni Gayle ang baso ug gatas. = Have Gayle fill the glass with milk.

This is a sentence in the Indirect Passive Voice, Imperative (Command) , the speaker is telling the causer to have the doer do the action of filling the glass with milk.

Focus of the sentence : "ang baso"

Speaker : the one giving the command

Doer of the action : Gayle

Causer : not mentioned, implied "you" (You) have Gayle fill the glass with water.

My Honey is telling me this is way too difficult. So there goes the answer folks!!!

If you have questions in mind, feel free to ask.