Sign in to follow this  
Bukwali

drill your own water well

Turbota

Those kind of toilets are real common in jail and prison cells too.

Toilet.jpg

hoz

Making potable water from roof caught rain isn't hard. There are plans and demos on You Tube and the net. A servicable system can be made from a barrel.

Google "Bio sand filter".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioSand_Filter

Mik

Here is the setup in my pump house. (I built a garage and transferred the generator.) Make sure the floor in your pump house slopes so any water can drain out. You might want to hose out all the lizard turds on the floor. Or you might have to change the foot valve or some other maintenance and there will be plenty of water on the floor.

I think the pipe inside my well casing is 1-1/4". We installed the pipe in 3 meter sections for ease of removal. Especially if you build a pump house and have a roof over your pump you will want to cut your 6 meter length pipe in half.

The inlet and outlet pipes to the pressure tank are 1". The drain is 3/4". That black box on the pressure tank is a pressure switch. It shuts off the pump when the pressure reaches the cut off pressure.

The top foot or so of my pressure tank contains air which is compressed by the water filling up the tank. (My tank does not have a rubber bladder.) This cushion of air is what keeps the water under pressure. But gradually the air is absorbed by the water. If you notice the pump running more often for shorter periods of time that means the air space in the tank is getting very small. So about every 4 to 6 weeks I drain the pressure tank then fill it up again to restore the air space. Also notice in the photo a small valve near the pressure switch. That is to let air into the tank when draining it. Wait until the pressure is zero then open the small valve. The tank will then drain more freely.

post-1781-1242092162_thumb.jpg

musicman666
The village near Pola, Oriental Mindoro, were my house is has no piped water. The local government did install a communal bore with electric pump a few years ago, but the villagers could not organise (or pay for?) the electricity to run the pump. That communal bore has sat idle ever since. The villagers still walk down and up the mountain each day to the nearest spring to collect their water.

Being an Aussie and use to living on tank water, I included a small 2,000 litre rainwater tank in the construction of my house. The tin roof area is about 60 sq.m and, with the local rainfall, we have never been low on fresh water. The tank is positioned high enough that a pressure system is not needed.

What surprises me is that the locals cannot understand how we can live drinking fresh rainwater. They all think it must be contaminated so will only use water from the spring.

are u sure that the tin roof doesnt add trace metals to the water ..or what if a cat has a dump on the roof?? B)

by the way ...how much and where can you go to get your well water tested?

Edited by musicman666

hoz
are u sure that the tin roof doesnt add trace metals to the water ..or what if a cat has a dump on the roof?? :rolleyes:

by the way ...how much and where can you go to get your well water tested?

It's recommended to divert the first 15 gallons of rain before you start collecting for purifying. This washes the roof off. An automatic system can be made, again from a 55 gallon barrel.

For harvesting rainwater I would prefer a painted steel roof, although regular GI sheet has been used in the past.

The design of a bio sand filter removes not only bacteria but also trace metals when combined with a charcoal filter.

Here's a link for your perusal

http://www.shared-source-initiative.com/bi...er/biosand.html

A_Simple_Man
So, with all the rain we get here, and all the tin roofs, why doesn't anyone use that system here?

Looks like someone in the government of Cebu reads my posts :huh:

http://www.inquirer.net/specialreports/wat...20090630-213125

MCWD encourages rainwater harvesting

June 30, 2009

The MCWD is asking the public to conserve water by harvesting rainwater.

mattwilkie

Think it depends on what people are doing.. generally households arent harvesting BUT my wifes parents have a couple of water butts feeding from the rain water on the guttering. Originally for washing the pigs down.