Sign in to follow this  
JohnSurrey

Balikbayan visa run ?

JohnSurrey

I will need to do a visa run next March - as I'll have been here 36 months (again) 2018...

If I take my wife with me (probably singapore as she has some family there) am I right in thinking I'll be able to get a Balikbayan when I return ?

Is there anything I have to do or take with me ?

Thanks

samatm

Yes take you Marriage license  with you .   You will need to present it when re Entering.   be sure you go to the BoI  early to take care of your ECC.  It could take 2 weeks to get it returned.  

Edited by samatm
  • Thanks 1

JohnSurrey
21 hours ago, samatm said:

Yes take you Marriage license  with you .   You will need to present it when re Entering.   be sure you go to the BoI  early to take care of your ECC.  It could take 2 weeks to get it returned.  

ECC ?

Lee
29 minutes ago, JohnSurrey said:

ECC ?

EMIGRATION CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE

1. Who should apply for an Emigration Clearance Certificate?

ECC has two (2) types, ECC –A (also referred to as regular ECC and ECC-B.

The following foreign nationals must secure an ECC-A prior to their departure:

1. Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa (also referred to as tourist visa) who have stayed in the Philippines for six (6) months or more;
    2. Holders of expired or downgraded Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas;
    3. Holders of valid Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas but are leaving for good;
    4. Philippine-born foreign nationals who will depart from the Philippines for the first time;
    5. Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa with Orders to Leave;
    6. Bona fide seafarers who have stayed in the Philippines for 30 days or more and has a duly approved discharge from BI.

ECC-B is issued to departing holders of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visas with valid ACR I-Cards and are leaving the country temporarily. 

1. When should I apply for an ECC?

A foreign national may apply for an ECC at least 72 hours prior to his/her departure from the Philippines.

1. Does the ECC have validity? Will I be able to use this multiple times?

The ECC is valid for one (1) month from the date of issue, however, you may only use this once regardless of its validity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

throttleplate
9 hours ago, Lee said:

EMIGRATION CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE

1. Who should apply for an Emigration Clearance Certificate?

ECC has two (2) types, ECC –A (also referred to as regular ECC and ECC-B.

The following foreign nationals must secure an ECC-A prior to their departure:

1. Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa (also referred to as tourist visa) who have stayed in the Philippines for six (6) months or more;
    2. Holders of expired or downgraded Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas;
    3. Holders of valid Immigrant or Non-Immigrant Visas but are leaving for good;
    4. Philippine-born foreign nationals who will depart from the Philippines for the first time;
    5. Holders of Temporary Visitor Visa with Orders to Leave;
    6. Bona fide seafarers who have stayed in the Philippines for 30 days or more and has a duly approved discharge from BI.

ECC-B is issued to departing holders of Immigrant and Non-Immigrant visas with valid ACR I-Cards and are leaving the country temporarily. 

1. When should I apply for an ECC?

A foreign national may apply for an ECC at least 72 hours prior to his/her departure from the Philippines.

1. Does the ECC have validity? Will I be able to use this multiple times?

The ECC is valid for one (1) month from the date of issue, however, you may only use this once regardless of its validity.

so BB are exempt and dont need ecc as its not listed?

Headshot
4 minutes ago, throttleplate said:

so BB are exempt and dont need ecc as its not listed?

That is true provided they are not in-country for more than a year.

• Thanks 1

ugly american

May wish to bring a copy of the balikbayan privilege rule,  just in case the seller of the ticket to RP doesn't know the law,   

• Thanks 1

colemanlee

Just did a balikbayan run..three countries...got some shit coming out of Malaysia to Cebu...guy never heard of the rule..had the marriage cert...and a copy of the laws...worked in the end...but had to get a supervisor...

• Thanks 1

Bill H
On 10/19/2017 at 8:28 AM, JohnSurrey said:

I will need to do a visa run next March - as I'll have been here 36 months (again) 2018...

If I take my wife with me (probably singapore as she has some family there) am I right in thinking I'll be able to get a Balikbayan when I return ?

Is there anything I have to do or take with me ?

Thanks

We have used the Balikbayan visa several times, we've always found the process amazingly easy and we've never once been asked for our marriage certificate (although we do bring it just in case).  My wife's last name on her PP is her married name which is obviously not a Filipino name so that may be a part of the reason.  This is a great visa and best of all it's free.  Normally I go with my wife through the Filipino Citizen line and she tells the immigration officer I need a Balikbayan visa.  It's just a small stamp and it's good for one year.  It's really hard to beat that.

On one trip my wife couldn't meet me in HK where we usually join up so I took the chance and came in by myself and asked for the Balikbayan visa.  I had previous Balikbayan visa's in my PP which may have helped, I don't know, but I was given the visa even without my wife being with me and without showing our marriage certificate.

colemanlee

Ive had pretty much the same experience, I do it every year, but seems there has been some changes and you can extend the balikbayan visa the same as you can the tourist visa....I think 36 months....the really cool thing about the balikbayan is you dont have to have a exit permit, you dont have to go to BOI, you dont have any of the worry you have with the other visas...and as far as Im concerned I like getting out of here on a yearly basis...as does my wife....and you can usually pay for the trip out with the money you save on not having to deal with the BOI, Exit visas and such...

SkyMan
8 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

I do it every year, but seems there has been some changes and you can extend the balikbayan visa the same as you can the tourist visa....I think 36 months....the really cool thing about the balikbayan is you dont have to have a exit permit, you dont have to go to BOI,

If you go over the free year you basically become a tourist starting at the one year point. You then do have to go to the BI and get extensions (up to 2 more years) and get an ECC when you leave.  As long as you depart every year you can stay away from the BI.