White Privilege in the Philippines?

SkyMan

So after reading the MILDEP ID card thread and finding the info on how to renew the wife's card by mail I thought maybe it'd be a good idea to check the date on her card.  So I went to look for it and it isn't where she keeps it and her credit card when she doesn't need them.  Hmmmmmmm  And the cc is gone too.  Hmmmmmmmm  So I txt her and ask if her ID is expired but it doesn't until next year.  So when she comes home I ask why she had the card out with her because if she needs ID I'd rather she used her DL.  She said that when she uses her (Capital One - US) credit card (and particularly at SM) they want to see an international ID and not an RP ID.  So my first thought is, if I'm ever asked for ID with my credit card, I always show my DL and I've never been asked for a non-RP ID.  But I guess being white I'm automatically international?  Hahahahaha  Still sucks though.  Has anyone else's spouse ever ran into this?  I know a lot of the members here aren't retired military and so their spouses don't likely have an ID from outside the RP so how do they deal with this?

The only logic for this I can come up with is they are worried a Filipina could fake a US credit card and this way she has to at least fake a US (or other country) ID too?  The thing is, how is a Filipina cashier supposed to be able to tell a real or fake ID from another country?  There are hundreds and probably thousands of possible valid IDs from the US alone and probably the same from each other country.  But she ought to be able to recognize an RP DL or other RP ID.  :shrugs:

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

So after reading the MILDEP ID card thread and finding the info on how to renew the wife's card by mail I thought maybe it'd be a good idea to check the date on her card.  So I went to look for it and it isn't where she keeps it and her credit card when she doesn't need them.  Hmmmmmmm  And the cc is gone too.  Hmmmmmmmm  So I txt her and ask if her ID is expired but it doesn't until next year.  So when she comes home I ask why she had the card out with her because if she needs ID I'd rather she used her DL.  She said that when she uses her (Capital One - US) credit card (and particularly at SM) they want to see an international ID and not an RP ID.  So my first thought is, if I'm ever asked for ID with my credit card, I always show my DL and I've never been asked for a non-RP ID.  But I guess being white I'm automatically international?  Hahahahaha  Still sucks though.  Has anyone else's spouse ever ran into this?  I know a lot of the members here aren't retired military and so their spouses don't likely have an ID from outside the RP so how do they deal with this?

The only logic for this I can come up with is they are worried a Filipina could fake a US credit card and this way she has to at least fake a US (or other country) ID too?  The thing is, how is a Filipina cashier supposed to be able to tell a real or fake ID from another country?  There are hundreds and probably thousands of possible valid IDs from the US alone and probably the same from each other country.  But she ought to be able to recognize an RP DL or other RP ID.  :shrugs:

My wife also always shows her US id when using US Credit Cards...  I think its the whole  fear of Scams thing.    Also the lack of plastic ID cards for the RP Drivers licence makes it one ID that is easy to fake. 

White Privilege?   I was so pissed off last month at BDO in Ayala.   I had waited and waited in line to cash a couple small BDO checks written out to me.. but my RP plastic drivers licences was expired and I had misplaced the paper OR (Original Receipt) that I am supposed to carry around until I get my plastic ID DL (2 years now) .. anyway They refused to cash my check even though I had been going to that branch for 3 years now and was a familiar face unless i could produce th paper copy with current date. EVEN though the expired licences still bore my signature and picture.   I was sooooooooooo  irrigated.   and wondered what had happened to my White Privilege.  not only was it non existent but .. Stupidity and ill logic completely reigned.      

SkyMan

Well you know, if your ID card expires then you aren't you anymore.

9 hours ago, samatm said:

My wife also always shows her US id when using US Credit Cards.

Does she have to though?  Besides the DL there are others that are supposed to be acceptable.  BIR, Voter ID, SSS, maybe a postal ID if you've through the pain to get that.

My wife said the first time she ran into that (after using the card for years) she didn't have her MILDEP ID on her and she had to leave a basket of groceries behind.  So now she carries it whenever she takes the credit card out.

Edited by SkyMan

I have had the problem with copies of my IDS like drivers lic PH and my ACR card copy and Bir Card copy as i never carry the originals as if you lose them cost more money but do keep my drivers lic original in the glove compartment of my car ,as the traffic guy told me one day a copy no good if he stop me and will give me a big ticket heeee to much. But at the bank and BDO in particular they are ass holes for sure always give me problems even about my signature if it not like the one on  my signature card have to sign many times till they happy it me even thought when they bring up your signature card on there computer there a big picture of you that take up the whole screen figure that out . Only in the PH 

• Like 3
Headshot
9 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Does she have to though?  Besides the DL there are others that are supposed to be acceptable.  BIR, Voter ID, SSS, maybe a postal ID if you've through the pain to get that.

Naw. My wife also has a US credit card. She just uses her Philippine DL as an ID. However, it has been my experience that rules like this are created on the spot by somebody who doesn't really want to serve you anyway (jealousy), and is just looking for a way to exercise that power. When I run into this kind of dipshit, I ask to speak to the manager, who is usually more reasonable. The only issue you might not get past is if you simply don't have a valid ID. The ACR-I card (or any other ID) will do just as well as a DL. My wife has several ID cards, but she never carries her US military ID (it is too hard to replace if she loses it).

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon
46 minutes ago, tonny said:

But at the bank and BDO in particular they are ass holes for sure always give me problems even about my signature if it not like the one on  my signature card have to sign many times till they happy it me even thought when they bring up your signature card on there computer there a big picture of you that take up the whole screen figure that out . Only in the PH 

This extremely annoying practice (obsession?)  is not limited to the banks. I recently had a special power of attorney consularized at a Philippine consulate and they were also obsessed with me signing the document just like my passport is signed. 

I get frustrated when the bank pulls that shit on me too. I always ask them, "If you don't think I'm me, then why the hell should it matter how I sign?"

"Oh we know it's you sir." 

"So why are we going through this infantile thing?"

The answer is always, "Yes sir." 

"OH and by the way, it's not a 'sign' its a 'signature.', here's your sign!" 

Sigh. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
SkyMan

I'm glad I don't run into that because my sig is very unique.  Each one of them.

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Oh and on the topic, my wife uses exclusively US credit cards. We are still waiting for her new BDO chipped card to be delivered for about 3 years now... :rofl: And she uses PH ID when asked. 

SkyMan

I think I'm going to ask her to stop showing the MILDEP card unless a manager insists on it.  If that works a while, she can stop carrying it.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Speaking of IDs, the other day we were flying somewhere domestic and my wife's passport is currently being processed for a visa. I asked her, "What ID are you going to use to get on the plane? Your DL is still in your maiden name because  the idiots didn't change it as requested (and paid for) on your last renewal. and the tickets are booked in your married name." 

"I have a Phil Health ID." 

This is a card that you laminate yourself with whatever picture you want. But is readily accepted as a form of ID. 

That said, I've seen people board flights with a company ID, that could be made at any of these "Rush ID" places... 

Thankfully we don't have to have matching signatures to board airplanes (yet?)... 

• Haha 1
SkyMan

For ferries and planes SWMBO uses her student ID for a discount on the ferries anyway.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

You gave your wives a credit card!  

Have you learned nothing from being married to a western women in the past...:P

• Haha 2
SkyMan
2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

You gave your wives a credit card!  

Have you learned nothing from being married to a western women in the past...:P

Sometimes I even let her wear shoes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes, I have experienced "white privilege". I have to pay more for stuff but sometimes get bumped up a line coz they think i will pay more. But mostly I seem to be just asked to pay more with no extra advantage.

I think I will start doing fake tan or something.

1 hour ago, Laurence said:

Yes, I have experienced "white privilege". I have to pay more for stuff but sometimes get bumped up a line coz they think i will pay more. But mostly I seem to be just asked to pay more with no extra advantage.

I think I will start doing fake tan or something.

And a Rhinoplasty

I don't seem to get aimed at by cyclists and taxis as she does

• Like 1