Sign in to follow this  
Dafey

AliExpress feedback

Dafey

I'm looking at a product that would ship from Shanghai at a price of $540 US. Am I going to have a problem with customs because of the value?

Salty Dog
16 minutes ago, Dafey said:

I'm looking at a product that would ship from Shanghai at a price of $540 US. Am I going to have a problem with customs because of the value?

I don't know how Apple does it, but I had an iPad worth more than that shipped from Singapore and it didn't have any custom duty added to it.

It was even delivered to my home in Dumaguete.

A_Simple_Man

Until about a year ago I shipped more than 30 items through aliexpress via their free shipping and picked up the item at PhilPost.  In all that time there was always 112 peso charge levied at the PhilPost and just once,  out of more than 30 times, Customs got hold of the item and put a sticker on it that it was undervalued and they were levying V.A.T. of 2,700 peso on the item.  (It was a fake GoPro from China that customs thought was a real one)

I could not claim the item until the 2700 was paid and yet the price of the item, including shipping, was only 2500.  I had a big dispute with the lady at the Dumaguete PhilPost outlet in charge of customs and after a lot of rigmarole they finally believed that the item was only worth 2500 pesos so they let me go with a V.A.T. charge of 300 + the usual 112 so it cost me 412 pesos to claim the item.

This one instance soured me to importing stuff as I figured they would have me red flagged now due to under-declaring the value (Although paying 2500 pesos I had them declare it as only worth 500). 

Most items that you buy through aliexpress will not have customs added on due to the ASEAN agreement but they will charge V.A.T. if they catch you and that is 12%

• Like 1