In need of Type A- for Mr Hunt

ckfm

Any updates Daisy?

Paul

I was just thinking the same thing.

BMTA

Daisy

April 14

Last Tuesday was another challenge because we only was able to have 75 dollars from Tom Landry and Jack.

Aurea and I received 75 dollars

Php 3518.00 + 1756.75 from the change of Scianna54's 20K we have a total of Php 5274,75

This is the only medicine that we were able to purchase:

1. ZEN ALB 20% IV Sol. 50ML.........................Php3,180.00 Ricah Drugstore (.Php 3,762.00- Rose pharmacy yesterday)

2. LEVOX 500MG 1 @ 188.90................................. 185.30

3. TIENAM 1 pcs @ 1635p................................. ..1,635.00 Rose P

Total....................................................................5,000.3

balance..................................................................274.45

April 15:

Somebody, a blood donor from SOS Philippines asked me to post the urgent need of Mr Hunt in the forum and and right away 15thousand pesos pledged and was deposited to our account. This prompted us to borrow money making the pledges as collateral. 10K borrowed from Max, CDO Expat,plus the money I received from Mr Lee of welcome to phil forum 6500, as his pledged to me last year, (this money is supposed to be my own refund already for last year's project) So we completed the medicine in the total amount of 15,780 pesos.

please take note that albumin or zenalb is twice a day @ 3,180 and Tienam at 4 times a day is 1,635.00

Our total loaned is 16,500

but before we went to hospital, Jeaneth received 2810.05 from Wllliam and Mila Britt which she immediately gave to me!

So 16.500.00p less 2,800.00p makes our/ my loan to 13,700.00pesos

April 16.

Today as per our last chat last Tuesday Janelaze, promised that she will send money for medicine! I hope she will!!! This is why I am optimistic that I can pay my loan, after all we have 15K in the bank as of yesterday's SOS pledged.

But she sent only 100 US dollars and she sent the control number to me for her sister Aurea to pick up! The four of us Jane, Jill, Laila and me have a short meeting and discuss if we are going to get the money from Aurea for today's medicine. We decided just to ask them how will they use it and Linda said she is going to have the laboratory done for Mr. Hunt. Jill, being a nurse explained to us it is also very important....off the 100 dollars of Janelaze!

We went to bpi bank bringing the prescription and withdraw the 15 thousand pesos from SOS Philippines forum! THANKS!!!!!!!

We still have some pledges, and we take your word for it guys! so we bought the medicines:

Rika Drugstore Cogon........... 1,307.75

Rika Drugstore Divisoria.........6,360.00

Save More Pharmacy................897.70

St. Ignatius Pharmacy............5,132.25

Lunch and transpo for 4.............500.00

Load for calling his family in US..100.00 (sun IDD 100 for 20 minutes)

TOTAL.................................13,797.70 approxx...13,800.00 pesos

change .................................1,200.00

Our loan now is only 12,500.00

Just an hour ago I received this in my email:

Hello Daisy and Ted,

Just wanted to let you both know that I sent USD100.00 converted to PHP4638 to the BPI bank account of your Charity thru my PayPal account via Zoom. I used one of their promotion codes so there wouldn't be a service charge. Don't know when its going to get posted so if you don't see it there soon, let me know so I can track it down if there is a problem. I just hope it's not too late to help Mr. Hunt while he's still alive. I wish I could send more but this all came at a bad time for me with a big tax bill owed to the IRS, my wife's health insurance premium now due and some construction work taking place at my house. Maybe by this time next month I'll be able to make another contribution to Mr. Hunt's care.

I also want to say, like many of the other ex-pats, I appreciate what you and your group is doing to help Mr. Hunt. He deserves better that what he is getting right now. I just hope the efforts being made to get him into a VA hospital in the U.S. will eventually materialize. Keep up your good efforts and don't be concerned about all the rhetoric coming from Fairfax, VA. Keep us all posted on any progress in his situation. Bye for now.

Stephen Dodge

Please just figure how much we need tomm!

By the way, today we went to hospital twice. We let Ted Hammon, his step son in the US talked to him in the celfone. Upon request of Ted, the hospital allowed us to take some pictures but at this time I am so sorry to say that my partner Jill has to wait until tomorrow to download those pictures from her phone to her PC. We have the chance to talk with the nurses and they are all thumbs up by the cooperation that they get from Mr Hunt! All of them said that with just continues medication, Mr. Hunt will really make it! We told him Tommy hung on...and he nod his head and even try to speak! For awhile the ICU became a venue for picture taking! Yes he is in a critical condition but a very good patient!!! He responded to all his medicines positively!

He is recommended for another CT scan, CBC, Potassium, Sugar level laboratory tests! Will require around 6000 pesos more or less because CT scan is around 5K already! I am not a medical person but he is improving a lot from the first time he was in the ICU! Take note also that he gave his nod on our "pictorials"!

Daisy

Paul

Well, I guess I should have clarified myself. For me anyway, I don't need to know figures. Daisy, I know you are trustworthy. :)

I am concerned about his condition. :o

RBS

Mr Hunt's plight is sad, however not uncommon for a person travelling overseas without adequate medical insurance. Even when over 70yo, this insurance is still available (at a higher premium).

Why do some people think "It wont happen to me", then have to rely upon others when it does happen?

Alan S

There can be many reasons, but even if one had got medical insurance, there is still the gap whilst waiting for the insurance company to pay out.

That requires some cash in hand, and I suspect many dont have the ready funds that could be required.

ckfm
Mr Hunt's plight is sad, however not uncommon for a person travelling overseas without adequate medical insurance. Even when over 70yo, this insurance is still available (at a higher premium).

Why do some people think "It wont happen to me", then have to rely upon others when it does happen?

Somewhere else on this forum a fund is being discussed, helping members in medical emergency situations. While I think this is a good idea, the success of such really depends on how each one is willing to help others without thinking about himself.

What about chiming $100 bucks in instead of criticizing?

Markham
Somewhere else on this forum a fund is being discussed, helping members in medical emergency situations. While I think this is a good idea, the success of such really depends on how each one is willing to help others without thinking about himself.

What about chiming $100 bucks in instead of criticizing?

Chris,

Thank you for mentioning the Expats' Mutual Assistance fund that I'm trying to get off the ground. I'm about to provide an update as to how that's progressing - and the indications are good. Once it's established, it will be open to both donations and member subscriptions.

Markham
This past January he became sick and was admitted to the hospital. He was well enough to be released after one week. But, he did not have the money to pay his bill. So, according to the Philippine hospital way of doing things they refused to release him and let him go until he paid his bill.. which may have been 5-10k pesos. He has been stuck in that hospital since then. HE was not a patient... the hospital kept him as a boarder for the 2 months. But, 3 weeks ago, he condition worsened and became so poor he could not get out of bed.. He is Type I diabetic and the doctors think he may have a brain tumor. So, now, 3 weeks ago, the hospital "readmitted" him as a patient. His bill is now up to over 150,000

Last evening, Bob Ward, Paul Whiteway ("ancienrocka") and I met with a lawyer and his lawyer wife. Although the meeting was to discuss the Expats' Mutual Assistance fund and its formation, the case of Mr Hunt was also discussed by way of illustration of the need.

The lawyers gave the following advice: owing money is not a crime in the Philippines, it is a civil matter. But it is a civil offence to detain someone who is unable to pay their debt: that is false imprisonment.

Mark

Edited by Markham

Caveat Emptor
Last evening, Bob Ward, Paul Whiteway ("ancienrocka") and I met with a lawyer and his lawyer wife. Although the meeting was to discuss the Expats' Mutual Assistance fund and its formation, the case of Mr Hunt was also discussed by way of illustration of the need.

The lawyers gave the following advice: owing money is not a crime in the Philippines, it is a civil matter. But it is a civil offence to detain someone who is unable to pay their debt: that is false imprisonment.

Mark

Yes, Mark you are correct in saying what you just said. The Philippine Constitution under the Bill of Rights provides that "Section 20. No person shall be imprisoned for debt or non-payment of a poll tax." However, the hospital will ask the patient to execute a promissory note to guarantee the payment of his debts. In this case, should the patient default from payment; he will be charged in court for collection of money which is a civil case. If he uses a check to guarantee his release from the hospital and the check eventually bounced, he will then be charged criminally for violation of the

Markham

There is special legislation specific to hospitals in this regard:

REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9439

April 27, 2007 AN ACT PROHIBITING THE DETENTION OF PATIENTS IN HOSPITALS AND MEDICAL CLINICS ON GROUNDS OF NONPAYMENT OF HOSPITAL BILLS OR MEDLCAL EXPENSES

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Philippines in Congress assembled:

SECTION 1. It shall be unlawful for any hospital or medical Clinic in the country to detain or to otherwise cause, directly or indirectly, the detention of patients who have fully or partially recovered or have been adequately attended to or who may have died, for reasons of nonpayment in part or in full of hospital bills or medical expenses.

SEC. 2. Patients who have fully or partially recovered and who already wish to leave the hospital or medical clinic but are financially incapable to settle, in part or in full, their hospitalization expenses, including professional fees and medicines, shall be allowed to leave the hospital or medical clinic, with a right to demand the issuance of the corresponding medical certificate and other pertinent papers required for the release of the patient from the hospital or medical clinic upon the execution of a promissory note covering the unpaid obligation. The promissory note shall be secured by either a mortgage or by a guarantee of a co-maker, who will be jointly and severally liable with the patient for the unpaid obligation. In the case of a deceased patient, the corresponding death certificate and other documents required for interment and other purposes shall be released to any of his surviving relatives requesting for the same: Provided, however, That patients who stayed in private rooms shall not be covered by this Act.

SEC. 3. Any officer or employee of the hospital or medical clinic responsible for releasing patients, who violates the provisions of this Act shall be punished by a fine of not less than Twenty thousand pesos (P20,000.00), but not more than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000.00), or imprisonment of not less than one month, but not more than six months, or both such fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the proper court.

SEC. 4. The Department of Health shall promulgate the necessary rules and regulations to carry out the provisions of this Act.

SEC. 5. If any provision of this Act is declared void and unconstitutional the remaining provisions hereof not affected thereby shall remain in full force and effect.

SEC. 6. All laws, decrees, orders, rules and regulations or part thereof inconsistent with this Act are hereby repealed or amended accordingly.

SEC.7. This Act shall take effect fifteen (15) days after its publication in two national newspapers of general circulation. Approved,

(SGD.) MANNY VILLAR

President of the Senate (SGD.) JOSE DE VENECIA, JR.

Speaker of the House of Representatives This Act which originated in the House of Representatives was finally passed by the House of Representatives and the Senate on June 7, 2005 and February 19, 2007, respectively.

(SGD.) OSCAR G. YABES

Secretary of the Senate

(SGD.) ROBERTO P. NAZARENO

Secretary General

House of Representatives Approved:

(SGD.) GLORIA MACAPAGAL-ARROYO

President of the Philippines

It should be noted that the hospital may have committed a criminal offence by detaining Mr Hunt when he was unable to pay his original bill some 3 months ago, provided he did not occupy a private room at that time. If he did indeed occupy a private room, there may still be redress in the civil court for false imprisonment.

Edited by Markham

Daisy
There is special legislation specific to hospitals in this regard:

It should be noted that the hospital may have committed a criminal offence by detaining Mr Hunt when he was unable to pay his original bill some 3 months ago, provided he did not occupy a private room at that time. If he did indeed occupy a private room, there may still be redress in the civil court for false imprisonment.

Yes he did occupy a private room....by the way here my yesterday's update:

April 17, we didn't received any donations and looking at the improvement of Mr Hunt yesterday, I really could not afford even to think that there will also be no medicine for this day. So again, I borrowed another 9 thousand pesos for today's medicine. I don't know but I am going deeply in debt now but I put my trust to those who give their pledges...we are almost over in transferring him to a regular hospital room and we can't just simply give up at this point! I hope, we are all one on this stand!

change from yesterday....1,200.00

money borrowed today....9,000.00

Total............................10,200.00

So here's the medicine bought with Linda:

Amino Blend 750 mg cap 30 4 pcs @ 29.70....................118.80

Decilone forte 4 pcs @ 23.85...........................................47.70

Tienam 500 mg 4 vials @ 1,635.55...............................6,542.20

Combivent 3 pcs @ 44.15..............................................132,45

dext 0.9% ....................................................................75.15

ZEN ALB 20% IV Sol. 50ML........................................3,180.00

TOTAL.....................................................................10,096

Linda told me that she paid for the some laboratory tests with the 100 dollars sent by Janelaze the other day and also one ZENALB 20% Sol.

Hopefully Jane laze (Mrs Hunt) will be true to her word and will send money tomorrow for the medicine..Expats' Ladies charities will make sure that we can pay our loan first amounting to 13,600.00 with the money of Mr Dodge deducted already. And i also hope that with the new laboratory test result, his medicinal expenses daily will decrease!

Janelaze, I know there are so many doubts cast upon you but it is my prayer that tomorrow I could make an update that today's medicine is paid for by Mrs Hunt's initiative.

Regarding the latest picture of Mr Hunt, had you seen him 4 days before......this showed him in a lot better condition!

post-1473-1240013868_thumb.jpg

shadow

This thread unfortunately shows the great organization and efficiency, as well as the enormous amount of caring one can usually expect out of the Red Cross. As a former search and rescue worker, I have seen this type of operation countless times, in a country where they don't run on Filipino time and most emergency services are very efficient.

Larry in Dumaguete

Daisy

Total cash donations received and given directly to the family of Mrs. Hunt and received by Aurea Songcuya

Tom & Alicia Landry...............................................................100 dollars

Aurea's name...........................................................................2

5 dollars

Total...........................................................................

...........125 dollars

Total cash donations I received for Mr Hunt' medicines:

Eugene and Jennifer Murphy of Bayogan, Agusan del Sur.......................10,000.00

Scianna54 of Living in Cebu forum.........................................................20,000.00

Kaloy & Emmaline............................................................50 dollars.......2,341.00

Tom & Alice Landry..........................................................................

William & Mila Britt...........................................................................

Susan, April, & Roger Ison OF Dumaguete (SOS_PHILIPPINES)..............10,000.00

Another guy from SOS philippines............................................................5,000.00

Faith Ashley Hillegass ................................................................................

....................100 dollars

Mike Belter..........................................................................

Stephen Dodge...........................................................................

.....................................100 dollars

TOTAL...........................................................................

......................77,521.05 + ........200 dollars Php 9,560.00 total of 87,081.05

1. April 8

Here's the medicine we bought for today until tomorrow at 4pm: (day one)

Omepron 40 mg/10ml @ 578.75p ................................Php 1,057.50

Potassium Chloride 20m 6 vials @ 50php.............................. 300.00

Tienam IV 500mg 3 vials @ 1689,25p................................. 5,067.75

Fluimucil 200mg 3 [email protected] 18.50p........................................... 55.50

decilone forte [email protected] 96.00

Combivent 500/2.5/2.5 [email protected]

Co-diovan [email protected].......55.50

Cardarone 200 mg [email protected] 86.50...................................................173,00

Levox tab 2 @ 189p................................................................378.00

Kalium Durules 3 @ 23.50........................................................70.50

glucometer vial @ 2,060p.....................................................2,060.00

TOTAL...........................................................................

Hospital laboratory for the blood...........................................1,200.00

2. April 13

Medicines for today until tomorrow afternoon: ROSE Paharmacy

1. ZEN ALB 20% IV Sol. 50ML..........................Php 3,762.00

2. HEMOSTAN 500mg 4 [email protected] 25.15...........................100.60

3. TIENAM 3 pcs @ 1635p.....................................4,906.65

4. LEVOX 500MG 2 @ 188.90................................. 377.80

5. DIFLUCAN 150mg [email protected],033.60

6. Kalium Durules 6 @ 22.95....................................1.033.60

7. LASIX 20mg ......................................................... 65.00

8.SINOKOT 4 tab @ 4.65............................................. 18.60

0. Fluimucil 200mg 4 [email protected]

10.Combivent 500/2.5/2.5 6 tab @44.15.......................254.90

11.Calcium Lactate 8 [email protected] .65......................................5.20

TOTAL.................................................................10,743.25

for 4 of us we spent for lunch and gas......................... 500.00

I am paid with the...................................................5,500.00

We decided to pay me my previous money spent.......1,500.00

TOTAL (complete)......................................................................

3. April 14

This is the only medicine that we were able to purchase:

1. ZEN ALB 20% IV Sol. 50ML.........................Php3,180.00 Ricah Drugstore

2. LEVOX 500MG 1 @ 188.90................................. 185.30

3. TIENAM 1 pcs @ 1635p................................. ..1,635.00 Rose P

Total...........................................................................

4, April 15

Somebody, a blood donor from SOS Philippines asked me to post the urgent need of Mr Hunt

in the forum and and right away 15thousand pesos pledged and was deposited to our account.

This prompted us to borrow money making the pledges as collateral. 10K borrowed from Max,

CDO Expat,plus the money I received from Mr Lee of welcome to phil forum 6500, as his

pledged to me last year, (this money is supposed to be my own refund already for last year's project)

I gave the money cash to Linda and Aurea at the CDO Expats' gathering at Fellias Fogg (Wednesday)

So we completed the medicine in the total amount of............................................................... 15,780 pesos

5. April 16

Rika Drugstore Cogon........... 1,307.75

Rika Drugstore Divisoria.........6,360.00

Save More Pharmacy................897.70

St. Ignatius Pharmacy............5,132.25

Lunch and transpo for 4.............500.00

Load for calling his family in US..100.00 (sun IDD 100 for 20 minutes)

6. April 17

So here's the medicine bought with Linda:

Amino Blend 750 mg cap 30 4 pcs @ 29.70....................118.80

Decilone forte 4 pcs @ 23.85...........................................47.70

Tienam 500 mg 4 vials @ 1,635.55...............................6,542.20

Combivent 3 pcs @ 44.15..............................................132,45

dext 0.9% ....................................................................75.15

ZEN ALB 20% IV Sol. 50ML........................................3,180.00

7. April 18 (we don't bother with the nedicine because we assigned it his wife)

8. April 19

I let Linda buy the medicines as it is Sunday and gave her ................................................................10,000.00

I got the Official receipts in the hospital amounting to ..........................................9,318.00

9. April 20

Rose Pharmacy....................................................................3,27

Rika Drugstore.......................................................................

transportation..................................................................

.............................................................................11,3

OVER ALL TOTAL of MEDICINES PURCHASED AS OF APRIL 20, 2009......................................................95,048.70

at the moment because of my i "loan" the pledged donation as collateral we are still short of.................................(7,967.65)

I talked with his doctor this afternoon and i am a bit disappointed because there's a 50-50 chance of survival triggered by the following factors:

1. Provision of medicines not consistent (including laboratory tests)

2. age

3. the brain issue

Please let us continue praying that GOD is in CONTROL!

Paul

Hi Daisy,

I haven't really been keeping a very close eye on this. But, is his family (not his scamming wife, but his children) in the US helping him?