ID cards in Manila

SmokyMtnRon

Can anybody verify for sure that the embassy in Manila has started doing dependent ID card renewals again?

SmokyMtnRon

From email From RAO:

FYI.  Some updates about DEERS in Manila. 

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Fwd: UPDATE FOR DEPENDENT I D CARDS
Date: 16 August 2017 at 1:57:21 PM GMT+8
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM
Subject: UPDATE FOR DEPENDENT I D CARDS
To: 

Just confirmed Dependent I D card renewals are now being done at JUSTMAG.
HOW TO:   Google Rapids sites, select Manila, make appt. if available.
Take to appt. downloaded form 1172-2 signed by sponsor, NSO/PSA copy of Marriage Cert,/ Birth Cert for children. Copy of DD214. Original of any Divorce Decrees.

Thanks

From Embassy website: (https://ph.usembassy.gov/embassy/manila/sections-offices/dod-id-cards/)

APPOINTMENTS/ NEW ENROLLMENTS/ RENEWALS/ DEERS UPDATES/ DISENROLLMENTS/ FULL-TIME STUDENT EXTENSIONS, ETC.
Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) Enrollments, Renewals, DEERS Updates, etc. may be processed by appointment only at the U.S. Embassy Manila, Seafront Compound. This includes enrolling new spouses and children for the first time, renewing ID Cards and making changes.

NOX 3 (VA Building)
1501 Roxas Boulevard
Pasay City, 1300

Appointments are very limited and given on a first come first served basis. You will NOT be seen without an appointment. Those without an appointment will be turned away.

SkyMan
40 minutes ago, SmokyMtnRon said:

Take to appt. downloaded form 1172-2 signed by sponsor, NSO/PSA copy of Marriage Cert,/ Birth Cert for children. Copy of DD214. Original of any Divorce Decrees.

What a PITA.  When I got my wife hers at Port Hueneme we just walked in, I showed my ID, they took her pick and gave her a card.

SmokyMtnRon
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

What a PITA.  When I got my wife hers at Port Hueneme we just walked in, I showed my ID, they took her pick and gave her a card.

PITA is right. Thats why I wanted to see if anybody has really done a renewal there and did they really need all this. The docs required sounds like what you need for original ID, NOT renewal.

SkyMan
8 minutes ago, SmokyMtnRon said:

PITA is right. Thats why I wanted to see if anybody has really done a renewal there and did they really need all this. The docs required sounds like what you need for original ID, NOT renewal.

The renewal by mail looks a lot better.  At least you don't need a trip for 2 to the disaster that is Manila.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/82/STEPS-FOR-PROCESSING-MAIL-IN-ID-CARD-RENEWALS.pdf

Are you an RAO member?

Edited by SkyMan
SmokyMtnRon
3 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Are you an RAO member?

Yes, I'm a RAO member.

I agree about the mail in. A lot of back and forth mailings, but it just might be worth it.

Headshot

In any event, I'm glad that they have this function back in the US Embassy in Manila. The mail-in option sounds better as long as it doesn't get lost in the mail.

SkyMan
7 hours ago, SmokyMtnRon said:

I agree about the mail in. A lot of back and forth mailings, but it just might be worth it.

Why a lot of back and forth?  The requirements are listed and fairly simple for a renewal.  May not even need to pay for postage.

7 hours ago, SmokyMtnRon said:

The mail-in option sounds better as long as it doesn't get lost in the mail.

Through the FPO it's not impossible getting lost in the mail but it's not like going through PhilPost.

Headshot
19 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Why a lot of back and forth?  The requirements are listed and fairly simple for a renewal.  May not even need to pay for postage.

Through the FPO it's not impossible getting lost in the mail but it's not like going through PhilPost.

Having dealt with the embassy on other things, it is likely they will insist on using Air21 rather than the FPO address.

SkyMan
12 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Having dealt with the embassy on other things, it is likely they will insist on using Air21 rather than the FPO address.

Good thing the mail in method doesn't involve the embassy then.

SmokyMtnRon
7 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Why a lot of back and forth?  The requirements are listed and fairly simple for a renewal. 

I can't find it now, but I read before that after you submit the docs they say, then they send the new Id card to you, then you sign the new ID card and mail it back to them. They then laminate it and send it back to you. (Still trying to find this as it makes sense because the ID needs a signature).

SkyMan
2 hours ago, SmokyMtnRon said:

I can't find it now, but I read before that after you submit the docs they say, then they send the new Id card to you, then you sign the new ID card and mail it back to them. They then laminate it and send it back to you. (Still trying to find this as it makes sense because the ID needs a signature).

That could be.  Still easier on the wallet than a trip for 2 to Manila with the possibility of being denied due to some red tape violation or the place being closed on your appointment day due to some riot in the area or whatever.  If the mailing doesn't leave the military postal system, no postage required, so it's just envelopes and time.

• Thanks 1
Soupeod

I wonder why you have to show divorce papers when you already removed them with those papers to get them off DEERs

SmokyMtnRon
3 hours ago, soupeod said:

I wonder why you have to show divorce papers when you already removed them with those papers to get them off DEERs

Like I said, I think they just lumped the requirements for everything together. Most of those docs seem to be for new Id cards or for 1st time deer enrolements. Not for renewals. (But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time :)