• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GwapoGuy

• SkyMan

• A_Simple_Man

• oztony

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A “plummeting plane”: I don’t know why some journalists use those “sensational” words for just a normal, STANDARD emergency procedure to descend to the breathable altitude of 10,000ft (depending on th

I have done a few international flights , 35 + , with a range of carriers and Air Asia is easily the worst by far , on a different level of worst , than any other airline I have ever flown with and by

Well they make enough to have their drawers cleaned.

miles-high

The safest airline in the world (no fatalities since their introduction of jet planes in 1959) is...

Qantas!

We took Qantas first time from MNL to SYD last year... 

One of the best services we ever experienced!

Experience of others may differ :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This sounds like a classic case of mis-communication between pilots and cabin crew due to perceived hierarcies. The cabin crew were afraid to ask the pilots and the pilots didn't care about the people behind.

From what is reported, there was a pressurisation issue which led to the pilots making a descent and landing at the nearest airport. It also seems that the cabin crew had no idea of what was happening. Hopefully the investigation will make Air Asia's operations better.

About ten years ago, I was on a flight between Caticlan and Cebu. One of the turbo prop engines was shut down because of a techincal problem. We had to land in Kalibo. I always remember the two young cabin crew girls reassuring the passengers. It was the quietest plane-load of people that landed safely that I remember.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, GwapoGuy said:

The cabin crew should be fired! :mad_01:

Arent they the people that tell me that I have to get off last because I sit near the emergency exit?

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Laurence said:

This sounds like a classic case of mis-communication between pilots and cabin crew due to perceived hierarcies. The cabin crew were afraid to ask the pilots and the pilots didn't care about the people behind.

From what is reported, there was a pressurisation issue which led to the pilots making a descent and landing at the nearest airport. It also seems that the cabin crew had no idea of what was happening. Hopefully the investigation will make Air Asia's operations better.

If there's any kind of 'situation' going on I don't want the cockpit crew concerned with me or any other passenger except for insuring the safe operation of the plane which keeps me alive.  Tell me what happened after the fact.  And I sure as hell don't want the cabin crew bothering the cockpit with questions.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, GwapoGuy said:

Gosh that does not bode well for my first time flying with them next month. Were they not voted best low cost carrier? Are they worse then CP?

Yes, Skytrax has had them rated number 1 for a decade or so now.  But their sister company, their long-haul carrier, is AirAsia X.  But even X is in the top 10, rated ahead of Southwest for instance.  I've flown AirAsia Philippines CEB to SIN a few times recently, good flights all around.

CP?  Well these are both LCCs, right?  They're cutting cost somewhere, and I'm certain that FA training is one area that they invest a good deal less in than some of the higher cost airlines.

I take the 0615 CP CEB to HKG flight quite often - good flight, tends to be on time or early. 

A few months ago I was settling in for my nap after takeoff when I heard a blood curdling scream behind me followed by a series of animal noises.  First thought was that the Zombie Apocalypse had finally started, but nope, a woman sitting behind me was having an epileptic seizure.

I'm sure many of you have witnessed a full blown epileptic seizure - scary shit if you don't know what's going on.  So the woman is doing the eyes rolling back in the head, blood spewing, writhing thing, and we have 3 FAs standing in the aisle with a deer in the headlights look.

So I explain to them what I *think* is happening, adding that I'm not a doctor.  I suggest they relocate the passengers next to the woman to give her some space and ask if they are with the woman (no).  After they move one of the FAs starts reaching in to adjust the woman's position and I have to tell them to get their gloves on, a lot of blood everywhere.

Then I have to tell them to ask if there is a doctor on-board.  Apparently not, but they don't speak Cantonese or Mandarin and the flight is primarily Chinese, so I tell them to ask for someone that can interpret.  

There was a Chinese MD on-board, he confirmed that it was an epileptic seizure, as the seizure died down they were able to dig her pills out of her carry-on and she was fine by the time we landed.

Oxygen masks drop down and the plane begins a descent?  On a CP flight?  Every man for himself! 

Not at all the way things would play out on the better airlines. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

it really is about time people stopped mouthing off about Quantas being the only airline that has never had a fatal accident. I understand it appeared as a line in some movie once, meaning that is a piece of total nonsense that a lot of people falsely believe to be true.

A lot of airlines have never had any fatal accidents, including at least two who are in the Top 10 airlines in the world in terms of km travelled per year, a list in which Quantas is nowhere.

budget airlines/low cost carriers are likelier to have accidents, not because they are cheap, but because their flights tend to be so short, and they have quick turnarounds. They take off, and land, a lot. This means they have more chances, to have accidents than other airlines where many of their flights might be like 7-9-12 hours long, and so are much safer per km travelled. 80% of air crashes happen in the first three minutes after take off, and the last eight minutes before landing. Those 11 minutes, when the big majority of air crashes happen, form a much greater fraction of the time that low-cost carrier flights are in the air compared to full-service airlines. 

Edited by badian
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, badian said:

it really is about time people stopped mouthing off about Quantas being the only airline that has never had a fatal accident. I understand it appeared as a line in some movie once, meaning that is a piece of total nonsense that a lot of people falsely believe to be true.

A lot of airlines have never had any fatal accidents, including at least two who are in the Top 10 airlines in the world in terms of km travelled per year, a list in which Quantas is nowhere.

budget airlines/low cost carriers are likelier to have accidents, not because they are cheap, but because their flights tend to be so short, and they have quick turnarounds. They take off, and land, a lot. This means they have more chances, to have accidents than other airlines where many of their flights might be like 7-9-12 hours long, and so are much safer per km travelled. 80% of air crashes happen in the first three minutes after take off, and the last eight minutes before landing. Those 11 minutes, when the big majority of air crashes happen, form a much greater fraction of the time that low-cost carrier flights are in the air compared to full-service airlines. 

Good  back story - too often people will quote a "fact" without the reason for that fact.

TequilaSunset

I have only taken EVA Air to the Phils, very happy with them, and great looking attendants doesn't hurt (and free beer!)

• Like 1
delancey

Last time I flew a U.S airline (with the usual highly trained crew) I got a 50 yo angry lesbian flight attendant.

Pick your poison

• Haha 3

flight crew are irrelevant really. They are there to give you food and drink and that is it and on the typical short Philippines flights they don't even do that, so they might as well not exist. It doesn't matter what they look like or what you think they like to do in their spare time. Serving you or being there to give the safety talk and guide you to your seat, is just a routine job to them. They don't give a rat's ass about you. Why should you give a rat's ass about them. 

Davaoeno
6 minutes ago, badian said:

Why should you give a rat's ass about them

Absolutely correct !! They are only there because they are getting paid to be there . If the company stopped paying them they wouldn't even show up for work .!   So just let them die in the crash !!  You sure have them figured out !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
jtmwatchbiz
2 hours ago, badian said:

They don't give a rat's ass about you.

speak for yourself.  flight attendants always look at me as if i was prime cut meat and they certainly wouldn't want a hunk like me injured.   

• Like 1

getting on and off aircraft just makes me puke. All those insincere smiles from both them and us are sickening. I'd wear a ski mask to avoid it, if I didn't run the risk of getting arrested for being a terrorist.