Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Any certain vaccinations needed before trip to Philippines

Travis

Hello'

I was wondering if there are any shots that I need before I head over to the Phills?

I know there are different sicknesses and diseases in the Phills that are not in the US.

Any suggested shots?

Headshot

Go to your doctor, and tell him you are going to the tropics. Get all of the recommended shots, plus there are now shots available for hepatitis A and B and dengue fever. I would recommend those. The hepatitis vaccine is a series, so start early.

Travis

Thanks head shot

Woolf

@Travis

input your data here 

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/#

Edited by Woolf

Davaoeno
3 hours ago, Headshot said:

Go to your doctor, and tell him you are going to the tropics. Get all of the recommended shots, plus there are now shots available for hepatitis A and B and dengue fever. I would recommend those. The hepatitis vaccine is a series, so start early.

after reading a lot of the literature on dengue vaccine I would give it a pass.  

currently the Phillipines has over a billion pesos worth of dengue vaccine that they bought and never administered. I think it expires in about 10 months ? and never will get used .

• Like 1

RR3

Most important is the shot against Yellow Fever. Unfortunalety not available, only experience will eventually cure  :welcome:

Jay

You can also get an anti-rabies prophylactic vaccination. It's also a series: you get your first jab, then the second one two weeks later, then your final one 4 weeks after that. If you miss one you have to start the series all over. Rabies is still a thing in the Philippines although it's not nearly as common as it used to be thanks in part to the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation and the International Humane Society which together with the government here launched a massive campaign to vaccinate dogs, also providing the vaccine cheaply or free. The antirabies lasts for 5 to 10 years and if you do get bitten by an animal all you need is a booster in the arm, not the entire series of rabies shots in the stomach (speaking from experience.) They use a very small needle. Hurts less than a mosquito bite. I got mine here in Cebu for free, supplied by the provincial veterinarian's office, as I was involved in an animal rescue organization at the time.

I think there's a vaccination against tuberculosis. I'd get that one in case one of your neighbors has TB, as well as boosters for everything like mumps, measles, smallpox, chicken pox and rubella. Even if you don't get sick from these you could be a carrier and infect unvaccinated children here. Also make sure your tetanus shot is up to date.

Be sure to bring all of your medical records with you to show your recent vaccinations after you get them.

• Like 1

RR3
23 minutes ago, Jay said:

You can also get an anti-rabies prophylactic vaccination. It's also a series: you get your first jab, then the second one two weeks later, then your final one 4 weeks after that. If you miss one you have to start the series all over. Rabies is still a thing in the Philippines although it's not nearly as common as it used to be thanks in part to the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation and the International Humane Society which together with the government here launched a massive campaign to vaccinate dogs, also providing the vaccine cheaply or free.

In Your dreams pinoy dogs rabies vaccinated, only kano do it to their pure-breed. Money issue.

But Anti-rabies clinics give You shots for free if You bitten. Ours is in close by hospital.

Headshot
1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think there's a vaccination against tuberculosis. I'd get that one in case one of your neighbors has TB

There is no vaccination against TB. There is a TB Tine Test, which we all got as kids, and that indicates whether or not you have ever been exposed to TB, and there are antibiotics, which are used to treat TB if you are exposed and infected. I agree with the rest of the vaccinations on your list.

Jawny

bcg.pdf

I would suggest your tetanus be updated.  

Tried to include a link to a CDC brochure on TB vaccinations.  In general, not need to get one.

Edited by Jawny
  • Like 1

RogerDat

Dogs in Cebu, and Mactan are vaccinated by the goverment health department for free. I would suggest to keep your hands off the local dogs so you do not get bite. (you did not come here for the dogs did you?) Dinge fever is contracted during the day, so spray your room before going out. Not sleeping in neipa huts also helps, bring a insect net if you must sleep there. As for as rabies shots if you get bite, they said I needed 5 bottles, and that was enough for 5 children, so I bought my own.They use a diabetes syringe to so from the side and flush the wound with water. That alone is reason to avoid dogs while here.

This is a place to search for the yellow fever stuff, it is depleted so you may not find it. I received that shot in military years ago as it was still prevalent in some parts of the world in the 70's. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellow-fever-vaccination-clinics/search

Aug 3, 2017 - The government of the Philippines requires proof of yellow fever vaccination only if you are arriving from a country with risk of yellow fever. This does not include the US.

Edited by RogerDat

RogerDat

As a addition, TB is in low income, dense population areas (poor people) so that is a sign of where to avoid, white spots on skin chest area, nagging cough, skinny people are some indications.

SkyMan
3 hours ago, RR3 said:

In Your dreams pinoy dogs rabies vaccinated, only kano do it to their pure-breed. Money issue.

But Anti-rabies clinics give You shots for free if You bitten. Ours is in close by hospital.

I believe most munis give free rabies shots.  That's where my dogs go.

Woolf

@Headshot

TB vaccine since 1921

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCG_vaccine

I remember  I had the vaccination just after starting school

Edited by Woolf

Headshot
6 hours ago, Woolf said:

@Headshot

TB vaccine since 1921

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCG_vaccine

I remember  I had the vaccination just after starting school

Is something that has a 20% effective rate for preventing infection really a vaccine (meant to immunize)? I would say, "NO." BCG has been around for a long time, and yet the most common TB-related "shot" is the TST, which is a test for exposure, and not an immunization at all. It is the TST that most of us remember from our younger days. There is no immunization that actually prevents TB consistently. That is the truth. Anybody who thinks otherwise has not studied the issue. TB has been fairly easy to treat since the advent of antibiotics (which is why more research hasn't been done to find an effective vaccine), but now there is a new antibiotic resistant strain of TB that is becoming more common in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos that may become a game changer if it becomes more widespread. Maybe there will be more research now.