Sign in to follow this  
rep1

ant trap?

Jawny

In my home there are three varieties of ants that regularly appear.  Each of these has one common trait which is to follow a scent traile back to the colony, in a semi-organized fashion.  The best way we have found to reduce the infestations is to regularly clean and leave no food out accessible to the ants.

When the ants do appear, I take the time to follow them to where their colony is.  Sometimes this is inaccessible such as under a floor tile crack.    The very small ants can find a hole and use the unseen cavity as a colony.  

I use a quick knock down spray typically used for mosquitoes.  Works very well with the ants.

The process is never ending, but with regular cleaning it is manageable. 

I don’t have any ants that live in colonies outside.  At least none that I have discovered.  Once in a while, we do get a batch of ants moving enmasse from a recent rain or such. Again, the spray eliminates them.

• Thanks 1

East Saxon
On 17/10/2017 at 12:01 PM, rep1 said:

How can I force feed them? Dropping it on them is not working they just get drowned.

BTW pouring borax over the grass wouldn't harm it right??

Borax is a weed killer

• Thanks 1

rep1

okay sealed a new crack found by the remaining ants. They brought a lot this morning - the ants cannot make a crack on wood flooring to get out right?? Killed several hundreds and leave new drops.

Has anyone tried the new kind of infrared camera - that come with app not professional grade, resolution is more like 320 - on ants and other nasty creatures? Maybe I could use it to find their entire colonies hidden under flooring and grass?

Salty Dog

Man-lures-ants-to-traps-with-promise-of-sexy-ant-dancers.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Davaoeno
12 hours ago, rep1 said:

okay sealed a new crack found by the remaining ants. They brought a lot this morning - the ants cannot make a crack on wood flooring to get out right?? Killed several hundreds and leave new drops.

Has anyone tried the new kind of infrared camera - that come with app not professional grade, resolution is more like 320 - on ants and other nasty creatures? Maybe I could use it to find their entire colonies hidden under flooring and grass?

why not tape the camera to an ant's back and let him lead you to his home ?  You just watch on the monitor .

shadow
16 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

why not tape the camera to an ant's back and let him lead you to his home ?  You just watch on the monitor .

No need for tape, dip it in honey and they will carry it away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

rep1
27 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

I know where they go above the surface. But their home seems to be between one wooden flooring panel and the concrete. Many holes in concrete! I wonder if infrared can help?

10 minutes ago, shadow said:

No need for tape, dip it in honey and they will carry it away.

Many refused my poison and other just drank it for hours until death. Either way they're not carrying it home. Damn those lazy selfish assholes.

rep1

The big ants and small brown ants were all wiped out. But got a new problem: the small black jumpy ants took my poison in a few hours, then after disapperance for 2 days, they reappeared with strange behavior, no lines or hoards, just small group or single ants running around, back and fourth, some were carrying dead ants but ended up nowhere, like they are searching for something.

They refuse the poison now, even clean fresh drops. And there are a few big ones among them.

Does this mean their previous colony or queen was destroyed? the last stage of the poison effect? But its been 3 days and they havent died of starvation.

Davaoeno

It sounds like you are enjoying your new hobby !!!   :P

• Haha 1

rep1
6 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

It sounds like you are enjoying your new hobby !!!   :P

Id enjoy more if they actually die in massive numbers!