Sign in to follow this  
Lee

Quote and like system not working correctly lately

Lee

So what does the below mean, it started when a member does something but does not show up in the like system.

Capture.JPG.c6a0b9ad352d852b48ab925951a9abc1.JPG

Salty and others have used the quote system, below is all I see, no link

Capture.JPG.09933c13992e4ebeff7be745bb87a314.JPG

Just as a reference, this is the post I see that in but it has been happening in many posts for quite a while now

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/106117-the-fight-against-isis-in-the-philippines-video/?do=findComment&comment=1422616

I suggest that until it is fixed that members click on the use link only function if they want others to be able to see what they are quoting.

Paul

Yeah, recently "upgraded" the forum. :rolleyes: I will let IPS know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee

Well I did not think the software could get any worse than the last upgrade but it has, Paul if you want to keep members posting then I suggest that you stop upgrading this forum, the posts since the upgrade are way down already.

Now as to it getting worse, now when I put a hyper link in and then quote the quoted part, the link disappears, what is wrong with the people who make these upgrades, are they trying to put themselves out of business, they must be, or are hiring illegal aliens who are trying hard to screw up their software or do not have a clue what they are doing.

Paul

Well I did not think the software could get any worse than the last upgrade but it has, Paul if you want to keep members posting then I suggest that you stop upgrading this forum, the posts since the upgrade are way down already.

Now as to it getting worse, now when I put a hyper link in and then quote the quoted part, the link disappears, what is wrong with the people who make these upgrades, are they trying to put themselves out of business, they must be, or are hiring illegal aliens who are trying hard to screw up their software or do not have a clue what they are doing.

I have no idea how you could know about the numbers of posts made, but am curious.

We have to upgrade it, as security patches are often added in upgrades.

Lee

I have no idea how you could know about the numbers of posts made, but am curious.

We have to upgrade it, as security patches are often added in upgrades.

BTW you cannot highlight and quote either.

As for how many posts, easy, I wake up around the same time each morning, you used to have pages of post, most days there are only one or two handfuls now but you already knew that.

Paul

most days there are only one or two handfuls now but you already knew that.

Nope. I don't pay it any attention.

Soupeod

I see that as Lee posted when I am in mozzila at work and not logged in. If it helps.

• Thanks 1

angbumabasa

None of the quotes I've read today have identified the member. Just a quote from an unidentified source. So I read back up the thread to identify the source. Oh well. :-(:-(

• Like 1

to_dave007

the posts since the upgrade are way down already.

Lee..  approximately when (what date) was the last "upgrade"?

Recently, and I mean for several months now, I've found that it's much slower to navigate page to page at LINC.  So when I click a LINC to get to the next page, it's much slower than it used to be to actually complete the delivery of that next page.  I'm pretty sure that it got slower at the time of the update that did away with the LIKE and THANK buttons and gave me the pictorial LIKE/THANK/SAD etc options.

It means that if I sit for 20 minutes..  much more of my time is taken waiting for the page to actually update than before, so of course it means I look at less pages, and I'm more selective about what topics I open.  For sure I read LESS than before, and make less comments than before.  If others are also seeing what I see, then I would  expect overall posts to be down.

These days my user behavior has changed.  Used to be that I would open most new threads to check out the subject, whether I would post or not.  But these days I start up LINC directly into the UNREAD CONTENT view, and pick 2 or 3 or 4 highlighted threads to join (some of which I may have joined previously) and when I am done for that sitting click the MARK SITE READ button before leaving so that I can see the new stuff next time.  That behavior started AFTER that LIKE/THANK button upgrade.  For sure I very seldom see Brodens threads now..  whereas before I almost always checked out his science threads.  Just an example of the impact of the upgrade.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy about this..  though it's not great..  but until I read your thread here I just looked at this as a fact of life in the 3mbps Internet world I live in here in the province.

As for Lee's complaint in this thread, I haven't noticed any buttons not working..  but definitely slower after the last upgrade.

[EDIT..  the quote above didn't indicate that Lee authored it.  But never noticed until after I posted..  It's a minor annoyance to me (a lifelong member of software industry) but if you really want to understand why so much fewer posts Lee..  I think it's the speed issue..  You wouldn't notice this in Florida because of your higher Internet speed.  For me here..  it's noticeable !! I think it's related to the advertising content on the page...  either the size of the graphic files or the time it takes to make the links active. 

Also..  NOT only LINC that has got slower..  even bigger change for me in starting up new link in YouTube within last several months, and I am 99.99% sure that the YouTube slowness has MOST to do that with large advertising graphic at the top of the startup page.. the one with the Close Ad button just underneath it that doesn't work until I've already waited till the damn graphic is finished.]

Edited by to_dave007
  • Thanks 1

JohnSurrey

I have posted a few "open" type questions recently in general advice and they've been parked into Business, something and something and I barely get a reply... which I put down to my posts being taken out of "General"... maybe it's the upgraded system... it's like laggy, clunky... not as nippy as the old site used to be...

• Thanks 1

Lee

I have posted a few "open" type questions recently in general advice and they've been parked into Business, something and something and I barely get a reply... which I put down to my posts being taken out of "General"... maybe it's the upgraded system... it's like laggy, clunky... not as nippy as the old site used to be...

Thank you souped angbuma, Dave and John for the replies, I knew it could not be just me having this issue. Another issue I now have is when I click on "mark site read" I get the below, it is a good thing I know what is supposed to be in the boxes so I can still mark the site as read. 

Woke up this morning to an all time new low of post counts, only 10 this morning but I am up a little earlier than normal.  :( 

I agree the site is slower even here in Florida with a faster speed and also not being able to use an ad block that I and others used to use is part of that issue but I very much understand that in order for the site to make money, so Paul can afford to run it for us members, it needs ads but at the same time those ads slow the loading even when I have a pretty darn fast internet here, I can only imagine how much slower for you all in the Philippines and for when we come back in February. :( 

Capture.JPG.93fa79cf5069ebe2e12e7eeff2b27eab.JPG

As I wrote above, I feel the software company is killing this forum. While security may be an issue needing to be handled, I am on another forum with the same software but a much older version that has not been upgraded since the  start and it is still running and I know of people still running XP with no updates and it seems they are doing fine, so just maybe the updates are really about the company making money and not so much about security, just my thoughts.

to_dave007

maybe it's the upgraded system... it's like laggy, clunky... not as nippy as the old site used to be...

John..  that's a good way to describe what I'm seeing.. though I'd likely be just a bit stronger..    what's your internet speed?

to_dave007

Another issue I now have is when I click on "mark site read" I get the below, it is a good thing I know what is supposed to be in the boxes so I can still mark the site as read. 

Capture.JPG.93fa79cf5069ebe2e12e7eeff2b27eab.JPG

Same here..  and this is recent..  maybe just the last week.. 

But the biggest issue for me is speed.

• Thanks 1

Paul

Guys, I have reported the issue. This cannot be the only IPB forum with these issues.

God, how I miss v2.3.6!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

JohnSurrey

John..  that's a good way to describe what I'm seeing.. though I'd likely be just a bit stronger..    what's your internet speed?

According to Ookla speedtest 5.14 - amazing I'm only contracted for 5.00mbps:D

• Like 1