Vigilante Justice

thebob

I have been watching this thread for a while and I have to put in my word against vigilante killings.

There is a justice system here, imperfect as it my be, but that is the system that exists. Everyone deserves their day in court, imperfect as they may be, and I believe that once they have served the penalty imposed then that is it.

Vigilante justice is a symptom of the deficiencies in the justice system, not an alternative. Extra- judicial killings are criminal acts and are wrong.

Once you have accepted vigilante killings you find yourself on a slippery slope. It may start out with suspected murderers, rapists and drug dealers, but once started this system could spiral out of control.

The fact that I can't vote, or change the system, in no way mitigates my opinion on it.

Realistically vigilante killings are a socially accepted fact of life here. That is a reflection of the frustration that the disenfranchised population suffers.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ayala

• smokey

• Paul

• rainymike

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul
Matt-my reply here is more connected to the fact that there is almost no such thing as proper law enforcement and connect that to the vigilantes and you have insanity.I am starting to wonder if some posters here actually live in the PI.Of course the obvious ones don't.Of course we all know ( :) )that any group who commits cold blooded murder against a petty crime such as celfone snatching,well,they must be a very deciplined right,a true code of ethics?Only the holier then thous are worthy to be part of the group that must carry there own crime karma through life,thats if they don't get deleted somewhere down the road themselves.I believe that those who support vigilantism in any way truly do not want to see the Philippines improve,its been proven that vigilante activity has only increase crimes NOT decreased crime.And copycat crimes done by non vigilantes,immitating vigilantes may begin to delete more foreigners.

Ayala, in my opinion, you have to get as dirty as the criminals in order to fight them. Criminals, not unlike terrorists, never play by any ethics, rules, or codes. You think you are going to beat someone by fighting fair, if they are cheating?

To me, it's like a military action, a strategic extraction and termination of a target. Sometimes, someone has to get their hands dirty in order to get a job done.

Okay, I have expressed my opinion here. I think everyone knows where I stand on this issue.

Ayala, in my opinion, you have to get as dirty as the criminals in order to fight them. Criminals, not unlike terrorists, never play by any ethics, rules, or codes. You think you are going to beat someone by fighting fair, if they are cheating?

To me, it's like a military action, a strategic extraction and termination of a target. Sometimes, someone has to get their hands dirty in order to get a job done.

Okay, I have expressed my opinion here. I think everyone knows where I stand on this issue.

Thanks Paul,I respect your opinion.To me a crime for a crime injects into the psyche of Filippinos,crime is ok.and when these vigilantes take it upon themselves to kill folks who have served there time or have not been caught-to kill snatchers and petty thiefs and drug addicts which is a disease-makes the vigilantes cold blooded murderers lower then the criminals.courts and law enforcement there may be very deficient as we all have learned-what I would do is take up the cause of improving the courts and law enforcement even as an american but never agree with the vigilante method of murder.Murder begets more crime and murder.They are not getting the job done for they become murderers.

Edited by ayala
Alan S

There are times when taking the law into your own hands, is the only way to get justice.

I will give a true example, but will add that this wasnt relating to the Philippines. Indeed, for obvious reasons, I'm not naming the country concerned.

Some years ago I had a phone call from some friends. Quite surprising, as they are not wealthy enough to afford international phone calls.

The husband, for it was he, was obviously very distressed, so I called him back.

Their daughter, a delightfull little girl, had been raped.

She was six years old.

They knew who did it as the guy concerned had attacked other children in their village.

The police immediately arrested him, but due to his family connections, within hours was back on the street.

Now, when I had been in that village, I had heard of this guy, as although he hadnt raped anyone, he was known as a child molestor, and the parents, several of whom I had met, all tried to keep their children away from him.

He then went round boasting that nobody could touch him as his family would protect him.

Wrong.

I made some calls to other friends, and, well, I dont know exactly what happened.

All I do know is that his family said that he had been in a motor accident, had both arms and both legs broken, and assorted other injuries.

He is now in a wheelchair and will spend the rest of his life in it.

Justice or not?

Or perhaps it really was an accident.

On a, perhaps, more practical note, I did pay for the medical treatment to the daughter, although I doubt that the physical injuries alone will be all she suffers.

Thats a sad and sickening story Alan.

Although I don't know of any place on earth where that guy would have been able to boast too long for being untouchable because of family connections where he would have gotten away with it for too long a time before some official would have stepped in,unless he lived in a fortress or something.If the media would have been brought in,I guarantee things would have moved to getting this lowlife into a prison cell with bubba.

smokey
Thats a sad and sickening story Alan.

Although I don't know of any place on earth where that guy would have been able to boast too long for being untouchable because of family connections where he would have gotten away with it for too long a time before some official would have stepped in,unless he lived in a fortress or something.If the media would have been brought in,I guarantee things would have moved to getting this lowlife into a prison cell with bubba.

We all understand you want to live on the straight and narrow but for most the straight and narrow is not very straight., the vigilante targets repeat offenders. A shabu user who is stealing and growing more bold each time soon he will start breaking into homes... have you seen the houses here most live in with their plywood door or no door easy for someone to come in and kill one or rape one... its the poor who are the ones hurt and its the poor who support the vigilante.. There are many single parents here who work 15 hour days and the children are in the care of the oldest who is often 8 or 9 years old. Another problem is if you press charges against the guy and he gets out or his friends will attack you how does a poor person defend their family... Try calling Cebu

I think most people commenting on Vigilantes in Cebu dont actually have an idea of what really goes on.. its simple street criminals whatever

not really...

smokey
not really...

matt must not be from around here...

We all understand you want to live on the straight and narrow but for most the straight and narrow is not very straight., the vigilante targets repeat offenders. A shabu user who is stealing and growing more bold each time soon he will start breaking into homes... have you seen the houses here most live in with their plywood door or no door easy for someone to come in and kill one or rape one... its the poor who are the ones hurt and its the poor who support the vigilante.. There are many single parents here who work 15 hour days and the children are in the care of the oldest who is often 8 or 9 years old. Another problem is if you press charges against the guy and he gets out or his friends will attack you how does a poor person defend their family... Try calling Cebu
Well as a certified realist... i would say you can try and explain your feelings and thoughts on the subject and ask for an appointment with the mayor and explain to him that you do not feel safe in Cebu and maybe like rocky said to the Russians in rocky 5 if we can change and you can change we can all change... see if that works... oh and bring a book to read it gets boring at the airport while your waiting for you flight out of the Philippines... it matters very very little what any of us think on the subject of running Cebu and even if you could vote that at best would get you a t shirt ,,, What ever country you came from this is not run the same way its run their way ... with their being the locals ... I find many things i don