Vigilante Justice

easy44
It's had a lasting affect in Davao City now, for well over 20+ years.

Where do you get 20+ years from? All the references that I checked say it started in 1998 under Mayor Duterte. There is an interesting article in the Inquirer that states that PNP figures show crime incidents have increase 210% in the past decade in Davao while the population has increased 29%.

http://opinion.inquirer.net/inquireropinio...d-to-vigilantes

This would seem to indicate that the death squads have not deterred crime, and may possibly have contributed to an increase. I think it is a very false security to believe that death squads running rampant in a city will deter crime. They contribute to the rule of the individual and having lived in Cebu for 8 years it is impossible to believe that they aren't being used for the personal benefit of those calling the shots. That is part of the reality of living in the Philippines.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• ayala

• Paul

• easy44

Top Posters In This Topic

spooks
Paul I respectfully disagree with you on vigilante practices making any sense whatsoever.In a country that so openly agrees with the ways of vigilantes-everyone is at risk.Vigilantes have no steadfast rule book that they follow-even though it may seem so as long as they are hitting someone else and not you and your family.In a large way you can compare it to nonsense deadly actions of the NPA-They appear to be fighting for a cause but with what they do to others-when is it ever for that cause.Its just easy to get away with.A few of my experiences of many while I lived in the P.I. I was having dinner with the vice mayor one night when some men came to the door to speak with the vice mayor-he excused himself and returned about a hour later.The vigilantes had killed what they thought was a well known drug dealer but killed an innocent man with a large family.Another was a man who was a celfone snatcher-had spent his time in jail-was released-had a job now-a family he was taking care of-the vigilantes killed him.and the list goes on.Of course if you take a poll many will agree with vigilantism-but then the belief to many is-if someone rapes someone in your family-you then have someone rape someone in there family and the same can be applied to killing and robbery.Its and endless cancer on society.

Vigilantes are murderers if they kill

Not so strange that none of the heads of the drug syndicates ever gets the bullet, if it was to be applied a certain high profile member of the Osmena family would have swallowed a few shells by now. These are not vigilantes they are 'turf protectors' to ensure that competition stays out or that the guy who ripped them off gets a bullet whilst they claim its a public service.

Davao crime rate has more than doubled, so what value vigilantes there.

Comes as no surprise that revolutionary movements continue to thrive here. One wears a uniform with ski mask and one does not, they were bandana instead.

smokey
One problem I see with vigilante killings is that its so easily copied, it appears that the normal MO for these guys is a motorcycle, Helmet with tinted visor and a 45 pistol, so If you want to kill, the husband of your mistress another guy in which you have a land dispute or your involved in this fraternity nonsense and want to exact revenge, just do a drive by shooting as per the above MO, and it will be immediately assumed a vigilante killing, who's going to state that it wasn't the work of vigilantes. it's to easy for something like this to get out of control.

well if its true and the police and the military are behind the vigilante then they know which is which..

smokey

Well guys we can talk about this all we want but as NONE of us vote i guess it

smokey

Vigilantes are murderers if they kill quote spooks...

Not so strange that none of the heads of the drug syndicates ever gets the bullet, if it was to be applied a certain high profile member of the Osmena family would have swallowed a few shells by now. These are not vigilantes they are 'turf protectors' to ensure that competition stays out or that the guy who ripped them off gets a bullet whilst they claim its a public service.

Davao crime rate has more than doubled, so what value vigilantes there.

Comes as no surprise that revolutionary movements continue to thrive here. One wears a uniform with ski mask and one does not, they were bandana instead.

well as you can not run for mayor i guess your stuck letting the locals run their own country,, just duck when you see the bike coming..

easy44
Well guys we can talk about this all we want but as NONE of us vote i guess it
smokey
Just because we can't vote doesn't mean this isn't a subject worth commenting on. Vigilante justice could very well affect any one of us, directly or indirectly through someone we know. This is a question of law and order and our personal safety is at risk. I for one don't feel safer with an uncontrolled band of murders running loose in Cebu, and I think it is naive to believe only guilty people are being killed.

Well as a certified realist... i would say you can try and explain your feelings and thoughts on the subject and ask for an appointment with the mayor and explain to him that you do not feel safe in Cebu and maybe like rocky said to the Russians in rocky 5 if we can change and you can change we can all change... see if that works... oh and bring a book to read it gets boring at the airport while your waiting for you flight out of the Philippines... it matters very very little what any of us think on the subject of running Cebu and even if you could vote that at best would get you a t shirt ,,, What ever country you came from this is not run the same way its run their way ... with their being the locals ... I find many things i don

easy44
Well as a certified realist... i would say you can try and explain your feelings and thoughts on the subject and ask for an appointment with the mayor and explain to him that you do not feel safe in Cebu and maybe like rocky said to the Russians in rocky 5 if we can change and you can change we can all change... see if that works... oh and bring a book to read it gets boring at the airport while your waiting for you flight out of the Philippines... it matters very very little what any of us think on the subject of running Cebu and even if you could vote that at best would get you a t shirt ,,, What ever country you came from this is not run the same way its run their way ... with their being the locals ... I find many things i don
spooks
smokey

Talk about anything you want but i personally stand on the side of the vigilante... as discussion goes i stated on this forum my son was arrested last Feb 13.2008 by 4 PDEA police as he sat on the street drunk on red horse his charge was possession on one joint found at his feet in a crumpled cigarette .pack... the ( guess who)) called and told me to bring 80.000p to a fast food restaurant within 4 hours... i did not do this instead we had to pay 45,000p for his bail ( which was 200,000p much higher then murder))) they keep him for 10 days in jail and another 150,000p in legal and misc fees and we won based on the fact that he was drug tested twice and both test were clean and the so called cigarette. Pack was not in his possession but during his stay he was to receive badly bruised ribs along with other slip and fall injuries

Edited by robert51
smokey
Roberts hope it does not happen to you or yours like it happened to one of my regular guests, wife 8 months pregnant with their third . Two 'off duty' enforcement agents put three bullets in his head no more than a few paces form my door. OOps wrong guy!! better get this covered up!!

Not being a voter does not matter if we live here we are here and its because we do not want our own suffering with an apologetic oops!! that we do say something. I discussed it and made it quite clear what I thought of it and that if they wanted any more investment then they had better consider the negatives over expediancy..yes they did listen.

None of their officers try to enter armed unless on official duty ie in uniform with ID presented for sign in at the guard desk.

We can make a difference because we must!

well if it happend to me or my family i would not get mad just get even.. eye for an eye

• 2 weeks later...
mattwilkie

I think most people commenting on Vigilantes in Cebu dont actually have an idea of what really goes on.. its simple street criminals whatever you shine it up to be they would shoot you just as easily shoot anyone else.. its all money "THATS IT" and to think some of you believe you are above the law in Cebu thats just crazy.. The fact is a lot of the activities are like "spooks" stated in a shade of grey where Police and criminals are mixed thinking putting a hit on someone will solve your problems.. wait until the guy whos supposed to pull the trigger realises your an isolated foreigner with few associates to hide behind. No doubt he will make a better deal with the Police to drag you in for trying to hire him and maybe even push "i was an off duty police officer approached by this man" and ill send you a food parcel for your long stay in Cebu prison maybe even take the time out to video you dancing to Michael Jackson.

In reality as many of you know if you read the news a lot of people are being picked off lately and it always seems to be the girlfriend or helper commiting the crime?? doesnt wash with me but it is an easy way to mop up the mess fast.

Best advice with anything that gets you in that deep is just dont get involved move house or whatever you need to do its just not worth it with the cost of life being around P5,000 or even less for favours within families. The fact is even if you managed to get someone killed for something there would always be that thing in your mind is there someone about to do the same to you.. its gang mentality where the only time they sit round a table is when they get fedup with shooting each other and losing so many people..

Yes-Matt-there's a lot of truth in what you say-It's all a twisted web-a cancer that's connected to almost everything.Those who agree with vigilante justice change real quick when it comes to visit them.

Paul
Yes-Matt-there's a lot of truth in what you say-It's all a twisted web-a cancer that's connected to almost everything.Those who agree with vigilante justice change real quick when it comes to visit them.

If you haven't done anything wrong, and are staying within the limits of the law, you need not worry about vigilante justice being carried out on you.

If they come to visit me, it would be to fetch a supply of shells.

Matt-my reply here is more connected to the fact that there is almost no such thing as proper law enforcement and connect that to the vigilantes and you have insanity.I am starting to wonder if some posters here actually live in the PI.Of course the obvious ones don't.Of course we all know ( :) )that any group who commits cold blooded murder against a petty crime such as celfone snatching,well,they must be a very deciplined right,a true code of ethics?Only the holier then thous are worthy to be part of the group that must carry there own crime karma through life,thats if they don't get deleted somewhere down the road themselves.I believe that those who support vigilantism in any way truly do not want to see the Philippines improve,its been proven that vigilante activity has only increase crimes NOT decreased crime.And copycat crimes done by non vigilantes,immitating vigilantes may begin to delete more foreigners.

Edited by ayala