Vigilante Justice

Was that in Davao? You know the reason so many here are for the vigilante is because justice is often not carried out and all too often the bad guy does the deed and just moves to another area till the heat is off...

Its was just outside Cebu City.I agree with you on how the justice system there can be.and I think its light years away from getting better taking all things into consideration.I wonder with the worsening economic situation and how some here have spoken about a great amount of distaste for foreigners by many filippinos how easy it will be as things could get worse-how easy it could get to kill with the disguise of vigilante did it.

We had a petty thief who lived down the street from us who was well known for stealing house plants hanging out front and shellane tanks from houses.They killed him.I guess if they were honorable and clearly went after killers and rapest and were clearly sure of the person that would be one thing but.......

One problem I see with vigilante killings is that its so easily copied, it appears that the normal MO for these guys is a motorcycle, Helmet with tinted visor and a 45 pistol, so If you want to kill, the husband of your mistress another guy in which you have a land dispute or your involved in this fraternity nonsense and want to exact revenge, just do a drive by shooting as per the above MO, and it will be immediately assumed a vigilante killing, who's going to state that it wasn't the work of vigilantes. it's to easy for something like this to get out of control.

Edited by Bukwali
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ayala

• smokey

• Paul

• rainymike

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul
Paul I respectfully disagree with you on vigilante practices making any sense whatsoever.In a country that so openly agrees with the ways of vigilantes-everyone is at risk.Vigilantes have no steadfast rule book that they follow-even though it may seem so as long as they are hitting someone else and not you and your family.In a large way you can compare it to nonsense deadly actions of the NPA-They appear to be fighting for a cause but with what they do to others-when is it ever for that cause.Its just easy to get away with.A few of my experiences of many while I lived in the P.I. I was having dinner with the vice mayor one night when some men came to the door to speak with the vice mayor-he excused himself and returned about a hour later.The vigilantes had killed what they thought was a well known drug dealer but killed an innocent man with a large family.Another was a man who was a celfone snatcher-had spent his time in jail-was released-had a job now-a family he was taking care of-the vigilantes killed him.and the list goes on.Of course if you take a poll many will agree with vigilantism-but then the belief to many is-if someone rapes someone in your family-you then have someone rape someone in there family and the same can be applied to killing and robbery.Its and endless cancer on society.

I'm not going to go on a tangent regarding the NPA. I don't necessarily agree with them, but they have the right to disagree with their government if they wish.

If someone were to rape a member of my family, they would pay, dearly. I would see to it personally.

When the vigilantes became active in Cebu, many people began feeling much safer throughout the city. It was an obvious change in the citizens. I hope to see it again.

I'm not going to go on a tangent regarding the NPA. I don't necessarily agree with them, but they have the right to disagree with their government if they wish.

*I won't go off on a tangent either.But the majority of there activity-example-we need some money so we will stop the next bus and rob everyone and maybe even kill a few for our cause of disagreeing with the government.

If someone were to rape a member of my family, they would pay, dearly. I would see to it personally.

*Then the beat goes on unless you are the very one who seeks the revenge and not someone else.Otherwise the revenge in time must be satisfied with return revenge somewhere down the road.

When the vigilantes became active in Cebu, many people began feeling much safer throughout the city. It was an obvious change in the citizens. I hope to see it again.

*Actually the truth is that people were feeling less safe and paranoid in the City of Cebu.With so much petty thief on up to bigger crimes and underhandedness happening in and around the city made for unrest to include familys of those who paid the dues to society in jail that were refusing to get out of jail for they would be killed.And many witnessing the vigilante killings and seeing the corpses laying on the streets did'nt make for a sense of safeness.Add to that the many groups that were protesting the murders including american groups and government.

Paul
*I won't go off on a tangent either.But the majority of there activity-example-we need some money so we will stop the next bus and rob everyone and maybe even kill a few for our cause of disagreeing with the government.

I don't think the NPA are in the habit of killing citizens, however, I will agree that they have been known to burn buses, in order to get their point across. In every event I am familiar with, all persons on the buses were asked to leave the bus prior to it being burned.

*Actually the truth is that people were feeling less safe and paranoid in the City of Cebu.With so much petty thief on up to bigger crimes and underhandedness happening in and around the city made for unrest to include familys of those who paid the dues to society in jail that were refusing to get out of jail for they would be killed.And many witnessing the vigilante killings and seeing the corpses laying on the streets did'nt make for a sense of safeness.Add to that the many groups that were protesting the murders including american groups and government.

I don't know how long you have been in the Philippines, but I am running 8 years, I believe? Anyway, during the time of the vigilantes, I made it a point to ask as many people as I could, as to how they felt about the extra judicial killings. I don't recall even one Filipino citizen who was against it.

Perhaps we should just agree to disagree. :lmao:

I don't think the NPA are in the habit of killing citizens, however, I will agree that they have been known to burn buses, in order to get their point across. In every event I am familiar with, all persons on the buses were asked to leave the bus prior to it being burned.

I don't know how long you have been in the Philippines, but I am running 8 years, I believe? Anyway, during the time of the vigilantes, I made it a point to ask as many people as I could, as to how they felt about the extra judicial killings. I don't recall even one Filipino citizen who was against it.

Perhaps we should just agree to disagree. B)

Paul-I was in the Philippines 5 years of which 2 1/2 were right in Cebu City.

rainymike

Well, I think we all want a safer world to live in. And I have had my pockets picked and was even robbed at knifepoint one time. I did not lose anything that was so important to have the thief killed for justice - even though I was very pissed at the time.

On the other hand, well I have very little sympathy for drug dealers or rapists. So perhaps I might be a bit blind to that.

But there are a whole lot of gray areas in between. Well, I'll just hope that law enforcement gets better so that we don't have to go outside the law to bring law to the country.

The vigilante system is over for now cause the media was stiring it up too much and gotten too close to the mastermind.

easy44

While I think the outcome of vigilante justice is SOMETIMES desirable, I also believe the danger of an innocent person (meaning innocent of any current crimes, not necessarily innocent of everything) being tried, found guilty and executed by persons unknown is a bigger danger. The basic problem underlying all the problems here in the RP is that there is no rule of law, only the rule of individuals.

Vigilante justice only perpetuates that situation. It is a "feel good", bandaid solution that really has no lasting effect.

smokey

lately there have been some strange stupid crimes.... a guy refused a drink with friends so they stabbed him to death.... a father and son don

Respected member
Well, I think we all want a safer world to live in. And I have had my pockets picked and was even robbed at knifepoint one time. I did not lose anything that was so important to have the thief killed for justice - even though I was very pissed at the time.

Where exactly did that happen?

liquido

The world is not a perfect place..There is a price to pay for most everything..IMHO..Vigilante justice is a purge of the garbage which sometimes includes the innocent.Even our justice system makes mistakes by putting away the innocent......Vigilante justice,death squads may just make you think before you do that crime in lawless countries..

While I think the outcome of vigilante justice is SOMETIMES desirable, I also believe the danger of an innocent person (meaning innocent of any current crimes, not necessarily innocent of everything) being tried, found guilty and executed by persons unknown is a bigger danger. The basic problem underlying all the problems here in the RP is that there is no rule of law, only the rule of individuals.

Vigilante justice only perpetuates that situation. It is a "feel good", bandaid solution that really has no lasting effect.

rainymike
Where exactly did that happen?

I was using this as an example. I got robbed in Colombia, South America a long time ago. But similar situation to the Philippines. It was in downtown Bogota. To date, nothing bad has happened to me in the Philippines.

Paul

It's had a lasting affect in Davao City now, for well over 20+ years.

Mailman
It's had a lasting affect in Davao City now, for well over 20+ years.

Haven't they moved into a more murder-for-hire scheme now? For as little as 5000 Php?