Vigilante Justice

rainymike

I was reading an old and closed post about crime in Cebu and was surprised to hear about vigilante activities in Cebu. Are they still going on?

I was considering Davao for my retirement, and the vigilantism there is quite well known. Although I have some personal issues with that type of justice, there was no denying the fact that I felt very safe moving around within the city and that it was having an impact on the crime rate.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ayala

• smokey

• Paul

• rainymike

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I lived in Bangkal Davao and will be returning to Mindinao soon.We had no fears whatsoever living there,we know many foreigners that live there permanently who feel the same.We are all aware of whats happening in the near and distant areas and use common street sense.Davao has a good mayor who is on top of things and is doing a world of good towards crime.We also lived in Cebu for years,the last I read was that there were over 300 viliglante killings over a 3 year period.I don't agree with the vigilante killings either but its not my country to judge it.We love Davao and Mindinao and we be living in Mindinao mostly and spending time occasionally with family in Cebu.

rainymike

Yeah, so far Davao is a my favorite city. I might end up there in the future. But for now, I think I will be checking out the Visayas using Cebu city as home base. Want to get a feel for the smaller cities like iloilo and bacolod before making a final decision on where to call my new home.

Hopefully the insurgency problems begin to go away. I never felt threatened by them when in Davao, but it doesn't hurt for me to play it a little safe for now. I still don't know enough about Mindanao politics. The press was playing it up in a big way a few months back.

Paul

Hi rainymike,

I feel as though you may become more of an advocate of Philippines Vigilante Justice, after reading something like this: Gingoog Girl Raped

If you do a search on this forum, as well as on our archived forums: http://www.cebuliving.com/forums, you will see that I (Admin / Paul) have been an avid supporter of vigilante justice since it began, here in Cebu. Unfortunately, the vigilantes aren't as... active, as they were in the past. However, one can hope that they come to light again.

A little street justice is what the girl in the above news article needs, in my opinion anyway.

I've never shared this with anyone, except other family members. About 10 years ago, there was this guy who would ride his motorcycle up to my wifes barangay and surrounding barangay's in the hills outside of Toledo City. He was a shabu pusher. He was warned a great number of times to stop doing what he was doing in the area, and told he was not welcomed in the area. My wife told me this. Well one morning I woke up and first thing like always, I had a cup of coffee handed to me by my wife and a sweet roll. Then I noticed a commotion and people walking quickly down the road. I was interested to go see for myself what the commotion was all about. My wife tried to stop me, but I was going to go see for myself. It was the drug pusher, in the middle of the road, down the hill from our house. He had been shot in the back of the head and his cycle was next to him. About an hour later, police showed up with a van. They asked if anyone had seen or heard anything and this fell on deaf ears. No one knew anything. They even asked me, but I was honest when I said I was just getting up and having coffee an came to see what the fuss was about. They tosed the body and cycle in the van and left. That was all I ever heard about it. But deep down inside, I believe I probably know who is responsible for the act. But who am I to judge. I've seen peoples lives destroyed because of drugs, and hell, I know for a fact they told that guy to stay the hell away, more than just a few times. I guess he pissed off some brother or father of a drug addict, just a little to much. He should have taken warning, and stayed away. I've always felt loved and respected in my wifes community, and I'm surely looked at as part of the family, if not, one of the heads of house now.

michael52
I've never shared this with anyone, except other family members. About 10 years ago, there was this guy who would ride his motorcycle up to my wifes barangay and surrounding barangay's in the hills outside of Toledo City. He was a shabu pusher. He was warned a great number of times to stop doing what he was doing in the area, and told he was not welcomed in the area. My wife told me this. Well one morning I woke up and first thing like always, I had a cup of coffee handed to me by my wife and a sweet roll. Then I noticed a commotion and people walking quickly down the road. I was interested to go see for myself what the commotion was all about. My wife tried to stop me, but I was going to go see for myself. It was the drug pusher, in the middle of the road, down the hill from our house. He had been shot in the back of the head and his cycle was next to him. About an hour later, police showed up with a van. They asked if anyone had seen or heard anything and this fell on deaf ears. No one knew anything. They even asked me, but I was honest when I said I was just getting up and having coffee an came to see what the fuss was about. They tosed the body and cycle in the van and left. That was all I ever heard about it. But deep down inside, I believe I probably know who is responsible for the act. But who am I to judge. I've seen peoples lives destroyed because of drugs, and hell, I know for a fact they told that guy to stay the hell away, more than just a few times. I guess he pissed off some brother or father of a drug addict, just a little to much. He should have taken warning, and stayed away. I've always felt loved and respected in my wifes community, and I'm surely looked at as part of the family, if not, one of the heads of house now.

after my arrival in june, if i have the pleasure of meeting you...i have a Thombstone Marshall Badge i picked up a few years ago on Route US 66 in Arizona. you can give it to him if you like.

michael52

sorry, i must retract that statement. the badge deal. but i still would like to meet everyone here. thx, michael

smokey

For the plain folk the talk of the mayor of Davao is positive and many claim if he runs for president they will vote for him... He is all about law and order but don

The Mason
Hi rainymike,

I feel as though you may become more of an advocate of Philippines Vigilante Justice, after reading something like this: Gingoog Girl Raped

If you do a search on this forum, as well as on our archived forums: http://www.cebuliving.com/forums, you will see that I (Admin / Paul) have been an avid supporter of vigilante justice since it began, here in Cebu. Unfortunately, the vigilantes aren't as... active, as they were in the past. However, one can hope that they come to light again.

A little street justice is what the girl in the above news article needs, in my opinion anyway.

The problem is, who decides when street justice should be applied?

I know of many people who upon hearing that a foreigner hit a little girl with his car, would conclude that the foreigner would get away with it simply paying the medical bills and walking away with no punishment. The vigilantes could conclude the driver is just another foreigner harming Filipinos and throwing his money around to get out of trouble. They might decide the girl deserves a little street justice and decide to take action against the foreigner.

Its horrifying to see the lack of justice in the Philippines. The guilty are seldom punished and evil seems to triumph at every turn, but vigilante justice is not the answer. The Philippines needs to develop a respect for the law and a desire to be a society of laws. Vigilante justice is a step away from the rule of law, not towards it.

Paul
The problem is, who decides when street justice should be applied?

I know of many people who upon hearing that a foreigner hit a little girl with his car, would conclude that the foreigner would get away with it simply paying the medical bills and walking away with no punishment. The vigilantes could conclude the driver is just another foreigner harming Filipinos and throwing his money around to get out of trouble. They might decide the girl deserves a little street justice and decide to take action against the foreigner.

Its horrifying to see the lack of justice in the Philippines. The guilty are seldom punished and evil seems to triumph at every turn, but vigilante justice is not the answer. The Philippines needs to develop a respect for the law and a desire to be a society of laws. Vigilante justice is a step away from the rule of law, not towards it.

Filipino Vigilantes don't work that way. They aren't going after people who might be in an accident on the street. Nor do they go after innocent people. They go after known and/or convicted drug dealers, rapists, murders, etc. They go after those who, after a costly court appearance - and later time served in a Filipino jail or prison, get released back into society. Vigilantes feel as though this scum does not deserve to clutter the streets of this country.

If you would like to see how much support vigilantes have in this country, take a poll in any city where they have operated. Davao and Cebu, I assure you, will see vast support by those Filipinos who live in these respective cities.

Mailman

I don't know... out of my various experiences here, I would be totally surprised to learn that the vigilante system is the only place where accuracy, honesty, and accountability truly shines. :o

Paul I respectfully disagree with you on vigilante practices making any sense whatsoever.In a country that so openly agrees with the ways of vigilantes-everyone is at risk.Vigilantes have no steadfast rule book that they follow-even though it may seem so as long as they are hitting someone else and not you and your family.In a large way you can compare it to nonsense deadly actions of the NPA-They appear to be fighting for a cause but with what they do to others-when is it ever for that cause.Its just easy to get away with.A few of my experiences of many while I lived in the P.I. I was having dinner with the vice mayor one night when some men came to the door to speak with the vice mayor-he excused himself and returned about a hour later.The vigilantes had killed what they thought was a well known drug dealer but killed an innocent man with a large family.Another was a man who was a celfone snatcher-had spent his time in jail-was released-had a job now-a family he was taking care of-the vigilantes killed him.and the list goes on.Of course if you take a poll many will agree with vigilantism-but then the belief to many is-if someone rapes someone in your family-you then have someone rape someone in there family and the same can be applied to killing and robbery.Its and endless cancer on society.

Filipino Vigilantes don't work that way. They aren't going after people who might be in an accident on the street. Nor do they go after innocent people. They go after known and/or convicted drug dealers, rapists, murders, etc. They go after those who, after a costly court appearance - and later time served in a Filipino jail or prison, get released back into society. Vigilantes feel as though this scum does not deserve to clutter the streets of this country.

If you would like to see how much support vigilantes have in this country, take a poll in any city where they have operated. Davao and Cebu, I assure you, will see vast support by those Filipinos who live in these respective cities.

stevehann

I think the vigilante killings you are talking about started about 4 years ago and lasted for 2 years. There was an average of one-a-week (yep, a total of just over 100 murders) and it was widely known, but never proven in a court of law, that the Cebu police were behind these killings and they were unofficially approved/sanctioned/supported by the local elected officials.

smokey
Paul I respectfully disagree with you on vigilante practices making any sense whatsoever.In a country that so openly agrees with the ways of vigilantes-everyone is at risk.Vigilantes have no steadfast rule book that they follow-even though it may seem so as long as they are hitting someone else and not you and your family.In a large way you can compare it to nonsense deadly actions of the NPA-They appear to be fighting for a cause but with what they do to others-when is it ever for that cause.Its just easy to get away with.A few of my experiences of many while I lived in the P.I. I was having dinner with the vice mayor one night when some men came to the door to speak with the vice mayor-he excused himself and returned about a hour later.The vigilantes had killed what they thought was a well known drug dealer but killed an innocent man with a large family.Another was a man who was a celfone snatcher-had spent his time in jail-was released-had a job now-a family he was taking care of-the vigilantes killed him.and the list goes on.Of course if you take a poll many will agree with vigilantism-but then the belief to many is-if someone rapes someone in your family-you then have someone rape someone in there family and the same can be applied to killing and robbery.Its and endless cancer on society.

Was that in Davao? You know the reason so many here are for the vigilante is because justice is often not carried out and all too often the bad guy does the deed and just moves to another area till the heat is off... Here in Cebu i think the vigilante was not a few but many, it takes a fair amount of dedication to go out and do the deed knowing your also risking your life, a person has to really believe in what they are doing to take such a chance by shooting someone in broad daylight and for no pay..... . Because there is very little police presence in the streets the vigilante was about the only deterrent the bad guy knew...Because this is a public forum there are many things that just can

Was that in Davao? You know the reason so many here are for the vigilante is because justice is often not carried out and all too often the bad guy does the deed and just moves to another area till the heat is off... Here in Cebu i think the vigilante was not a few but many, it takes a fair amount of dedication to go out and do the deed knowing your also risking your life, a person has to really believe in what they are doing to take such a chance by shooting someone in broad daylight and for no pay..... . Because there is very little police presence in the streets the vigilante was about the only deterrent the bad guy knew...Because this is a public forum there are many things that just can