Send USD from PI bank to GBP bank account

dustybookend

dustybookend

I want to transfer USD from a Philippine bank account to a UK bank account.
If the Philippine bank makes the exchange there is an exchange hit of about 4% compared to XE mid rate - they convert USD to Peso then Peso to GBP.

If I had the bank send the USD to a transfer agency who then sent GBP to the UK bank I could save three quarters of the exchange hit. I have looked at XE, Zoom, CurrencyFair, Transferwise,  Moneycorp, UKForex, World First,  but none of them accept a Philippine residential address. The address needs to be in the same country as the USD bank account.

Does anyone know of a transfer agent that will accept a Philippine address?

Idea, ask the manager at BPI if they can open a GBP account for you (BPI has those) and if they can then wire GBP directly, of course if you can get your money converted to GBP in Cebu first.

dustybookend

Thanks Lee, in general that would work and I would have done it although even exchanging cash USD to GBP at a money changer here still involves exchanging to PHP on the way to GBP, so a double hit. However in this particular case I need to use the particular USD account number otherwise it would become quite involved with the counter party.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Lee, in general that would work and I would have done it although even exchanging cash USD to GBP at a money changer here still involves exchanging to PHP on the way to GBP, so a double hit. However in this particular case I need to use the particular USD account number otherwise it would become quite involved with the counter party.

If you are not in a rush, then ask members in a post on here if anyone needs to do exchanges, that has worked for others in the past and I had done it for some Americans in the past in small amounts as a favor involving dollars to pesos or pesos to dollars, everyone wins that way if someone needs the other. 

Headshot

BPI allows multiple accounts in different currencies, so open a GBP account and a USD account. Then you can transfer between accounts with no peso stop in between.

dustybookend

BPI allows multiple accounts in different currencies, so open a GBP account and a USD account. Then you can transfer between accounts with no peso stop in between.

I'll check that out, it will be a first if correct.

dustybookend

If you are not in a rush, then ask members in a post on here if anyone needs to do exchanges, that has worked for others in the past and I had done it for some Americans in the past in small amounts as a favor involving dollars to pesos or pesos to dollars, everyone wins that way if someone needs the other. 

As I said, "I need to use the particular USD account number" and I am in a bit of a rush. But your suggestion is welcome and I will take it up for AUD.

• Like 1
Headshot

I'll check that out, it will be a first if correct.

I have a USD account and a PhP account at BPI. I transfer money between them with no problems. BPI even gives a very good exchange rate between currencies. I know for a fact that BPI also offers GBP accounts.

Edited by Headshot
dustybookend

I have a USD account and a PhP account at BPI. I transfer money between them with no problems. BPI even gives a very good exchange rate between currencies. I know for a fact that BPI also offers GBP accounts.

Good call, it seems they will make a direct exchange, no Peso step,  between currency accounts held in the same name. There are 3 BPI branches in Cebu that offer currencies other than PHP and USD, intersection of Ramos and Mango is one.