Some cost savings ideas...

miles-high

I was traveling to Manila a few times a month from 2007 to 2010, then lived there from 2010 to 2015, now we moved out of the Philippines but still traveling to Manila once a month or so... We have tried many “cost savings” methods over the years and here’s our suggestions (if you live close to NAIA haha :D):

§  My Shopping Box: We use this service extensively, you get a Long Beach address where you ship anything from Amazon, etc. and usually we get them in 2 to 3 weeks airfreight (expensive), 5 to 6 weeks ocean freight (we never tried it). After new FAA directives, they are not airfreighting anything with lithium batteries so it is advisable you email them before you send anything to them. Apple will not ship anything to this address – I guess they know it’s a freight-forwarder.

§  FedEX/DHL: We shipped a few things but they always stopped at their customs warehouse (at NAIA in our case). Often needed to pay relatively high import duties and/or time-consuming negotiation with the customs officers. We avoid using them except docs.

§  Use of “PostNet” in Guam (http://www.postnet.com/tamuning-gu101/services/mailbox-rental) where you could ask Amazon, etc. to send merchandize to... If you can fly free (as I used to, no longer haha ;)) but airfare is not that expensive between NAIA and Guam and if the savings are a few hundred dollars or more, it’s one of the best ways to buy things easy. Recently, I had Amazon ship a 27” 4K display to that address, they usually ship USPS, get there in about 2 weeks. The shipping box perfectly fits one of my suitcases (could put 2 if needed) and just check it in (sorry guys in Cebu, I don’t have any suggestions how you can from NAIA to Cebu).

§  While you are on Guam, you could visit the world largest K-Mart and the Home Depot. You could ship those Balikbayan boxes from Guam. I have used them often (shipping a set of cooking utensils, etc.). Arrives to your place in about 6 weeks. http://www.umaccargo.net/branches.html

§  For Apple products only: I DO NOT use any Apple products and never will! My wife does, however! Haha :D Anyway, we looked into where to buy and if you live in a no-sales-tax state that is probably where we buy…

o   Guam: The Apple reseller there is a branch of Filipino company called “Beyond The Box”, an authorized Apple reseller. Usually, it costs $100 to a few hundred dollars more expensive than the price you pay in Hawaii (but you need to add 8% sales tax there) or in the mainland. Another authorized reseller, Mariana Electronics' prices are slightly cheaper but they do not carry any inventory.

o   Japan: Since the foreign visitors do not pay sales tax, iPads and Macs are about $100 to @500 cheaper, depending on the products. There are 2 or 3 Apple-direct outlets in Tokyo. The quick setup instructions, warranty, etc. are all written in Japanese but you can ignore those as long as you know how to turn it on. From there on, all can done in any language of your choice, English, Spanish, French, German, Chinese, etc. etc.

§  What else is on Guam? The Naval Hospital and exchange...

§  How to get there? From NAIA, United, PAL and Cebu Pacific fly there non-stop...

If you have any other ideas, let us know! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Enuff
32 minutes ago, Flakes said:

So seems i just going to spend money on stuff I don't really need bringing it in from abroad. 

better to save it for a broad.

Goetz1965

For APPLE - just buy with Apple US directly - they deliver all items via UPS to your doorstep within a few days. 

miles-high

o   Japan: Since the foreign visitors do not pay sales tax, iPads and Macs are about $100 to @500 cheaper, depending on the products***

*** As of 9/2017, depending on FX...

miles-high

For APPLE - just buy with Apple US directly - they deliver all items via UPS to your doorstep within a few days. 

Tell me how to continue... please... cannot even change the country...

1.thumb.PNG.2cf31af256b958149ad894eea848b3cc.PNG