Shipping a laptop from the US to the RP

RedRanger
3 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

Just for the records. When we moved here 7.5 years ago we shipped most of our stuff ahead in balakbayan boxes. My 1 year old HP laptop included. I never received it. It was "stolen", period. By whom I cannot prove , but I point my finger at customs. #3 of 5 boxes had been opened and anything of real value to someone in the Philippines was taken. It sure seemed like only someone with X-ray would know which boxes to open. Only the 3 with the most valuable or hard to get items in the Philippines. Quality S.S. tableware, shoes, laptop, and so on. Nothing in the 2 boxes that were not opened except clothes and such. I have never shipped anything here since. Once burned twice shy. It was not a good introduction into permanent living in the Philippines.  Other than a lot of corruption in Customs, Immigration, the LTO, and so on, it's not a bad country. I have learned much the hard way, but that's part of life here. Hopefully President Duterte will be in office long enough to clean all of these corrupt scum out. Stay as far away from government agencies here as possible and you'll be O.K..  I wonder how many others have had things stolen from balikbayan boxes and such ?

Been shipping BB over 10 years, about 3 per year, as of date nothing stolen.  I have shipped brand new in box laptops and desktops in the past.  But I am also aware that something not making it to it's final destination is a chance I take.

• Like 2
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kreole

• samatm

• billy

• Jester

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

best to use shipping cart by lbc

Fedex/UPS --- =   You will get hosed.       Also customs isn't stupid..don't even think about trying to make it look 2nd hand.      I purchased an LCD screen on EBay and the Chinese seller thought he

Somebody said they had a good experience getting a laptop forwarded here by Johnny Air Cargo for I believe around $50-$60.

On 11/26/2017 at 6:22 AM, Semper paratus said:

Just for the records. When we moved here 7.5 years ago we shipped most of our stuff ahead in balakbayan boxes. My 1 year old HP laptop included. I never received it. It was "stolen", period. By whom I cannot prove , but I point my finger at customs. #3 of 5 boxes had been opened and anything of real value to someone in the Philippines was taken. It sure seemed like only someone with X-ray would know which boxes to open. Only the 3 with the most valuable or hard to get items in the Philippines. Quality S.S. tableware, shoes, laptop, and so on. Nothing in the 2 boxes that were not opened except clothes and such. I have never shipped anything here since. Once burned twice shy. It was not a good introduction into permanent living in the Philippines.  Other than a lot of corruption in Customs, Immigration, the LTO, and so on, it's not a bad country. I have learned much the hard way, but that's part of life here. Hopefully President Duterte will be in office long enough to clean all of these corrupt scum out. Stay as far away from government agencies here as possible and you'll be O.K..  I wonder how many others have had things stolen from balikbayan boxes and such ?

We have shipped several box's a year over 10 years and not had a problem.  Cut rate BB box company's keep showing up, but we pay the premium price and stick with LBC and have not had a problem yet.  It always seems to be the little or new company's that have issues.  Now the lowest new company is about $70 and LBC is $100.

sugbu777
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:08 PM, billy said:

I've never had anything stolen in balakbayan boxes. Shipped over ten in different times

Ditto. Heck, we sent 12 boxes in one shipping. (Was a special deal...send five...get one free)  Nothing missing. I would say we have shipped at least 40 boxes over a 6 year period. Haven't done any in the last 2 years. Tried other companies but went back to LBC. (didn't have any issues with stuff taken from the other shippers....it just took them a lot longer to get box to destination)

Edited by sugbu777