Shipping a laptop from the US to the RP

1 minute ago, Irenicus said:

Was that a while back before the new (October 2016) 10,000 peso de minimus kicked in?  I have got more than a few things of Ebay in China here that were worth over 5,000 p (but below 10,000p) that they didn't charge more than the $3 customs "inspection fee" for.

http://www.philstar.com/metro/2016/10/12/1632735/imports-below-p10000-now-tax-free

Yes it was in in  Late 2015.    The main point being though  Custom wasn't stupid and caught the fact the an LCD screen  was worth more than 15.00 US.    This delayed release by about 2 weeks ... and I had to pay a Penalty for providing wrong information on declaration (even though it was the seller not me)   I haggled with the seller and surprisingly they refunded me  Half of my purchase price..   But it was still a big hassle. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kreole

• samatm

• billy

• Jester

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

best to use shipping cart by lbc

Fedex/UPS --- =   You will get hosed.       Also customs isn't stupid..don't even think about trying to make it look 2nd hand.      I purchased an LCD screen on EBay and the Chinese seller thought he

Somebody said they had a good experience getting a laptop forwarded here by Johnny Air Cargo for I believe around $50-$60.

6 minutes ago, Kreole said:

I just got a quote of P9,500 to Cebu.  The shipping weight is only between 6 - 7 lbs.  The price does include customs tax.  So, that is still the outstanding question:  What should I expect to pay on a new laptop value of $1,800?

Was that quote with LBC shipping CArt?   -   Most likely none.    I have never heard of any customs tax on from them.   YMMV.    

1 hour ago, samatm said:

Was that quote with LBC shipping CArt?   -   Most likely none.    I have never heard of any customs tax on from them.   YMMV.    

The quote was from Johnny Air.  I am still waiting for LBC to get back to me.

1 hour ago, samatm said:

LBC shipping cart is P 6,427.59 which is roughly $130.  Thanks for the reminder.   It is a ship to your door price, so I hope that would include customs tax, etc.  

Just now, Kreole said:

LBC shipping cart is P 6,427.59 which is roughly $130.  Thanks for the reminder.   It is a ship to your door price, so I hope that would include customs tax, etc.  

Yes it should. be inclusive... and I don't know where you live or the final destination of the package, but having  door to door delivery is Nice.   Let us know how it goes. . 

I just signed up with LBC ShippingCart.  Thanks very much for the tip.  It really does remove the risk and headaches of dealing with shippers and customs.  SALAMAT!

A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

The price does include customs tax.  So, that is still the outstanding question:  What should I expect to pay on a new laptop value of $1,800?

Its not the customs duties that will get you, its the 12% VAT which the BOC enforces if they catch you.  So 12% of 1,800 is $216 if they catch it.  Sometimes they do, sometimes it slips through the cracks.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Kreole said:

I just signed up with LBC ShippingCart.  Thanks very much for the tip.  It really does remove the risk and headaches of dealing with shippers and customs.  SALAMAT!

Good luck... caveat: not everything is a slam dunk when shipping here.   Some have had long delays waiting for the consolidated shipment to leave LA.. I have used it 3 times with no problems.    keep us posted.

5 hours ago, samatm said:

Yes it should. be inclusive... and I don't know where you live or the final destination of the package, but having  door to door delivery is Nice.   Let us know how it goes. . 

Yes.  The shipping is all inclusive, and thankfully so, because I would not like any surprises coming from Philippine customs or VAT.  If this works out, and it should, I will be a happy camper knowing that I am not forced to purchase things here in the RP, especially high end items.  It doesn't really bother me to pay a little more for items here.

Kreole
On 9/30/2017 at 11:50 AM, Kreole said:

Well, I was a little hasty there.  I took some time to read the reviews and was not impressed, especially when shipping an expensive laptop.  I decided to just bite the buck and purchase it here in the RP.  Yes, it is $400 more expensive, but that $400 is worth the peace of mind that it will be in my hands without strife or stress of dealing with a shipper or customs.  Maybe for smaller, less fragile and expensive items, I will give shopping cart a try.

• 1 month later...
RedRanger
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:47 AM, shadow said:

If you ship it Fedex, expect very high customs to be paid. 

Ten years ago I sent a used laptop to PI from USA.  I declared value at $100 since it was used and older, and shipped it Fed Ex.  Customs wanted $300 more dollars to deliver.   I did learn my lesson after that.

• Like 1
Semper paratus

Just for the records. When we moved here 7.5 years ago we shipped most of our stuff ahead in balakbayan boxes. My 1 year old HP laptop included. I never received it. It was "stolen", period. By whom I cannot prove , but I point my finger at customs. #3 of 5 boxes had been opened and anything of real value to someone in the Philippines was taken. It sure seemed like only someone with X-ray would know which boxes to open. Only the 3 with the most valuable or hard to get items in the Philippines. Quality S.S. tableware, shoes, laptop, and so on. Nothing in the 2 boxes that were not opened except clothes and such. I have never shipped anything here since. Once burned twice shy. It was not a good introduction into permanent living in the Philippines.  Other than a lot of corruption in Customs, Immigration, the LTO, and so on, it's not a bad country. I have learned much the hard way, but that's part of life here. Hopefully President Duterte will be in office long enough to clean all of these corrupt scum out. Stay as far away from government agencies here as possible and you'll be O.K..  I wonder how many others have had things stolen from balikbayan boxes and such ?

On September 29, 2017 at 6:43 PM, Kreole said:

I am considering purchasing a laptop in the US and shipping here.  The cost of the unit is $400 cheaper in the US, and considering that the shipping via FedEx or UPS may amount to $100, I am still ahead by some.  What is the custom's routine?  Or what is the most likely outcome?  I have heard too many bad stories about customs here to feel comfortable without information about what to expect.    Since it is new, I am considering having a friend do a superficial mock up to make it look used, as if I am having my old laptop sent to me; even writing "Used" or "Damaged" on the box Thanks ahead.

I purchased a lap top from eBay I prepaid shipping and import tax around 110 or so got it within 5-7 days no problems

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Semper paratus said:

Just for the records. When we moved here 7.5 years ago we shipped most of our stuff ahead in balakbayan boxes. My 1 year old HP laptop included. I never received it. It was "stolen", period. By whom I cannot prove , but I point my finger at customs. #3 of 5 boxes had been opened and anything of real value to someone in the Philippines was taken. It sure seemed like only someone with X-ray would know which boxes to open. Only the 3 with the most valuable or hard to get items in the Philippines. Quality S.S. tableware, shoes, laptop, and so on. Nothing in the 2 boxes that were not opened except clothes and such. I have never shipped anything here since. Once burned twice shy. It was not a good introduction into permanent living in the Philippines.  Other than a lot of corruption in Customs, Immigration, the LTO, and so on, it's not a bad country. I have learned much the hard way, but that's part of life here. Hopefully President Duterte will be in office long enough to clean all of these corrupt scum out. Stay as far away from government agencies here as possible and you'll be O.K..  I wonder how many others have had things stolen from balikbayan boxes and such ?

I've never had anything stolen in balakbayan boxes. Shipped over ten in different times

On 10/2/2017 at 10:21 PM, Kreole said:

Well, I was a little hasty there.  I took some time to read the reviews and was not impressed, especially when shipping an expensive laptop.  I decided to just bite the buck and purchase it here in the RP.  Yes, it is $400 more expensive, but that $400 is worth the peace of mind that it will be in my hands without strife or stress of dealing with a shipper or customs.  Maybe for smaller, less fragile and expensive items, I will give shopping cart a try.

Brother in law purchased a lap top from Lazada, it arrived broken, sent it back.  So I think you are making the right move.