Sign in to follow this  
Kreole

Shipping a laptop from the US to the RP

Kreole

I am considering purchasing a laptop in the US and shipping here.  The cost of the unit is $400 cheaper in the US, and considering that the shipping via FedEx or UPS may amount to $100, I am still ahead by some.  What is the custom's routine?  Or what is the most likely outcome?  I have heard too many bad stories about customs here to feel comfortable without information about what to expect.    Since it is new, I am considering having a friend do a superficial mock up to make it look used, as if I am having my old laptop sent to me; even writing "Used" or "Damaged" on the box Thanks ahead.

shadow
2 minutes ago, Kreole said:

I am considering purchasing a laptop in the US and shipping here.  The cost of the unit is $400 cheaper in the US, and considering that the shipping via FedEx or UPS may amount to $100, I am still ahead by some.  What is the custom's routine?  Or what is the most likely outcome?  I have heard too many bad stories about customs here to feel comfortable without information about what to expect.    Since it is new, I am considering having a friend do a superficial mock up to make it look used, as if I am having my old laptop sent to me; even writing "Used" or "Damaged" on the box Thanks ahead.

If you ship it Fedex, expect very high customs to be paid. 

• Like 1

A_Simple_Man
9 minutes ago, Kreole said:

Since it is new, I am considering having a friend do a superficial mock up to make it look used,

Its one of those things where your experience may be different than others, but here's a suggestion.  If there is anything else you want, get your friend to through it all in a suitcase and send it as "RUSH - Delayed Baggage"  I have never had any problems with Fedex or LBC sending me delayed luggage (although it is usually the airline sending it so that may make all the difference).

• Haha 1

Woolf
21 minutes ago, Kreole said:

Have you checked lazada for the same unit ??

• Like 1

Soarking

You can also check if someone on the form is coming here from the US and having it shipped to there house.  In the past I have brought a computer and a couple of I-Pads over for form members.  Takes a while, but it saves shipping costs.

• Like 1

Enuff

best to use shipping cart by lbc

• Like 3

Kreole
54 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Its one of those things where your experience may be different than others, but here's a suggestion.  If there is anything else you want, get your friend to through it all in a suitcase and send it as "RUSH - Delayed Baggage"  I have never had any problems with Fedex or LBC sending me delayed luggage (although it is usually the airline sending it so that may make all the difference).

WOW!  That is creative!  I wonder if anyone has done that outside of airline baggage?

Kreole
1 hour ago, shadow said:

If you ship it Fedex, expect very high customs to be paid. 

Thanks!  I will be sure to avoid FedEx.

Headshot
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

WOW!  That is creative!  I wonder if anyone has done that outside of airline baggage?

I was told by an old mailman that if you put, "Rush - Fresh Fish" on the package, it will zip right through to you, since nobody wants that package to sit around in their area.

samatm

Fedex/UPS --- =   You will get hosed.       Also customs isn't stupid..don't even think about trying to make it look 2nd hand.      I purchased an LCD screen on EBay and the Chinese seller thought he would do me a favor and only valued it at 15.00.    When it arrived Cebu Customs.. they valued it at  8000 peso's .. charged me  tax for the value and  another 6000 Peso's penalty !    

• Like 2

T.S.

Somebody said they had a good experience getting a laptop forwarded here by Johnny Air Cargo for I believe around $50-$60.

• Like 2

Kreole
9 hours ago, samatm said:

Fedex/UPS --- =   You will get hosed.       Also customs isn't stupid..don't even think about trying to make it look 2nd hand.      I purchased an LCD screen on EBay and the Chinese seller thought he would do me a favor and only valued it at 15.00.    When it arrived Cebu Customs.. they valued it at  8000 peso's .. charged me  tax for the value and  another 6000 Peso's penalty !    

So it looks like I will be in for a custom's charge.  And how much might that be on a $1,800 laptop?  Any experience with that?

samatm
10 minutes ago, Kreole said:

So it looks like I will be in for a custom's charge.  And how much might that be on a $1,800 laptop?  Any experience with that?

well you could send with a consolidator like LBC shipping cart https://www.shippingcart.com/  and not pay the customs..  With Fedex  not only do you have to pay customs  but you will be charged a storage fee Air21 (philippines Fedex Franchise holder) charged daily until it clears customs.  It figures that   Air21 isn't in any hurry to push your product through customs... why should they??   They are getting cash just for letting it sit on the floor.

Irenicus
10 hours ago, samatm said:

Was that a while back before the new (October 2016) 10,000 peso de minimus kicked in?  I have got more than a few things of Ebay in China here that were worth over 5,000 p (but below 10,000p) that they didn't charge more than the $3 customs "inspection fee" for.

http://www.philstar.com/metro/2016/10/12/1632735/imports-below-p10000-now-tax-free

Kreole
9 hours ago, T.S. said:

Somebody said they had a good experience getting a laptop forwarded here by Johnny Air Cargo for I believe around $50-$60.

I just got a quote of P9,500 to Cebu.  The shipping weight is only between 6 - 7 lbs.  The price does include customs tax.  So, that is still the outstanding question:  What should I expect to pay on a new laptop value of $1,800?