Jump to content

Is divorce legal from abroad?


Recommended Posts

  • Administrator
Salty Dog
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

If he is married in Belgium or somewhere else, he could be met by PNP here on his next arrival and she would have her out from the illegal marriage.  And she could probably arrange him to be met my police on his return to Belgium as well.

The marriage could be declared null and void by a Philippine's judge if she can prove he was already married. The procedures she would have to go through are very similar to an annulment and can be every bit as time consuming and expensive. It doesn't require her to prove some of the requirements of an annulment. The official documents showing his previous marriage, are usually considered prima facie evidence of the fact .

I'm speaking here of a marriage where both are Filipinos. It might be totally different if one of the couple is a foreigner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Enuff

    7

  • smokey

    7

  • colemanlee

    3

  • rizla

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a divorce abroad to be legal for a Filipino, it must be initiated by the foreign spouse. Then there are channels one must go through to get it recognized by the NSO/PSA.   There was a bi

yes, married in Philippines    I just read that divorce is legal in the Philippines but only for Muslims. My research is complete, convert to Islam and divorce. I'll tell the wife

If he is married in Belgium or somewhere else, he could be met by PNP here on his next arrival and she would have her out from the illegal marriage.  And she could probably arrange him to be met by po

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, smokey said:

How many members have a wife with an annulmet

me, but lawyer was friend and worked pro-bono. We just covered the court fees.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

The marriage could be declared null and void by a Philippine's judge if she can prove he was already married. The procedures she would have to go through are very similar to an annulment and can be every bit as time consuming and expensive. It doesn't require her to prove some of the requirements of an annulment. The official documents showing his previous marriage, are usually considered prima facie evidence of the fact .

I'm speaking here of a marriage where both are Filipinos. It might be totally different if one of the couple is a foreigner.

The chap in question is Belgian, and lives in his home country, if I understood the OP correctly, therefore he comes under EU laws, if he married both in his home country and RP, then under EU laws he is a bigamist, which is illegal in both countries and carries a prison sentence, 5-10 in Belgium, 6-12 in RP.

Unless he divorced prior to marrying the girl in RP

Edited by rizla
forgot to add text
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
15 minutes ago, rizla said:

The chap in question is Belgian, and lives in his home country, if I understood the OP correctly, therefore he comes under EU laws, if he married both in his home country and RP, then under EU laws he is a bigamist, which is illegal in both countries and carries a prison sentence, 5-10 in Belgium, 6-12 in RP.

Unless he divorced prior to marrying the girl in RP

They can put him in jail for the rest of his life. She will still need to get the marriage declared Null and Void in the Philippines if she wants to marry again...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot

If the guy is physically abusive, just let him come back and rough her up. She can go and get examined, and then file charges against him. That would, at least give her leverage in forcing him to divorce her in Belgium. If he is a bigomist, that provides even more leverage for a divorce. However, even with a divorce, she still has to get the divorce decree run by a judge and approved before she is free and clear.

Anybody who thinks a woman can simply get a legal separation, and be free to live with another man, does not understand the adultery law in the Philippines. The woman is liable to be charged with adultery until the annulment or divorce has been registered with the NSO/PSA.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

They can put him in jail for the rest of his life. She will still need to get the marriage declared Null and Void in the Philippines if she wants to marry again...

...in the Philippines.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
5 minutes ago, Headshot said:

If the guy is physically abusive, just let him come back and rough her up. She can go and get examined, and then file charges against him. That would, at least give her leverage in forcing him to divorce her in Belgium. However, even with a divorce, she still has to get the divorce decree run by a judge and approved before she is free and clear.

Anybody who thinks a woman can simply get a legal separation, and be free to live with another man, does not understand the adultery law in the Philippines. The woman is liable to be charged with adultery until the annulment or divorce has been registered with the NSO/PSA.

Maybe getting a divorce in Belgium will work.

 In the Philippines, adultery, abandonment or spousal abuse are not grounds for marriage annulment.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Anybody who thinks a woman can simply get a legal separation, and be free to live with another man, does not understand the adultery law in the Philippines

Although I have seen it done, I have to agree that an Internet search will show cases where a legally separated woman has been charged with adultery.

I do not know of any instance where that has happened and I do know many who are living with legally separated women so I suggest that understanding what we read on the Internet is a far cry from understanding what happens in the real world.

I would be be much more concerned about it if you could name even one person, known to members of this forum, who has been found guilty of adultery after obtaining a legal separation?

Edited by A_Simple_Man
Link to post
Share on other sites

zcvber.PNG

So let me get this right , the Belgian is married to abroad and she wants a divorce..... :popcorn:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Enuff said:

me, but lawyer was friend and worked pro-bono. We just covered the court fees.

well then you know to get an annulment one has to prove the other party is NO capable of being married unless you have a judge who listens 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007

If he cheats on her, put in the  effort to catch him at it, and have him arrested.  He might be willing to sign papers to initiate the divorce if it is a "Get out of Jail" card.

Link to post
Share on other sites

in his 30s I am going to take a wild guess and say he is home working does he send any money ? And she has a child but not his... does the dad send any money ?  Just move unless she has a new BF and has plans on getting married to another he sure cant do anything to her if she moves but then maybe if he is sending money to take care of his wife and her child he will stop .. the divorce seems to me to be she wants to get married to someone else . Sure as a 30 year old guy he can find another women so maybe the poor sap is in love.

52 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

If he cheats on her, put in the  effort to catch him at it, and have him arrested.  He might be willing to sign papers to initiate the divorce if it is a "Get out of Jail" card.

really when you were 30 did you need to travel thousands of miles to get laid ? He is in his 30ss  not 70ss

Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, the Belgium does support her and her child. He is actually very good at the support part.

I have seen some of the messages he sends and they are quiet rude and hurtful. 

I chalk up it up to 2 young people being in love. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
5 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

Maybe getting a divorce in Belgium will work.

 In the Philippines, adultery, abandonment or spousal abuse are not grounds for marriage annulment.

Spousal abuse and bigamy are grounds for jail time in the Philippines. He might realize that divorce is a better alternative.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..