Easy Carbonara Sauce

SkyMan

Ok, so I never had Carbonara Sauce before I came to the RP so I don't know if it was something invented here or brought in but if the latter I doubt what I've had here is anything like what it's supposed to taste like.  I don't like sweet sauce on spaghetti. period.  So not really knowing what it's supposed to taste like but looking for a non-sweet white sauce I came up with my own version.  Heat up a can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup.  Mix it with spaghetti or other pasta.  Eat.

• Like 1

Soup and pasta in general go great together, often i just add some veggies to a can of chicken or beef and vegetable soup and pour over.

RogerDat

Carbonara (Italian: [karboˈnaːra]) is an Italian pasta dish from Rome[1][2] made with eggs, hard cheese (usually Pecorino Romano),[1] pancetta (or guanciale), and black pepper. Spaghetti is the usual pasta; however, fettuccine, rigatoni, linguine, or bucatini can also be used. The dish was created in the middle of the 20th century.[3]

• Administrator
Salty Dog
1 hour ago, RogerDat said:

Carbonara (Italian: [karboˈnaːra]) is an Italian pasta dish from Rome[1][2] made with eggs, hard cheese (usually Pecorino Romano),[1] pancetta (or guanciale), and black pepper. Spaghetti is the usual pasta; however, fettuccine, rigatoni, linguine, or bucatini can also be used. The dish was created in the middle of the 20th century.[3]

C9Ti7ACVwAA1sbF.jpg

If you're going to quote Wikipedia and not list your source, you should at least remove the footnote numbers...:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
bernadette

here's my version of carbonara(recipe was given to me by a friend)

1 kg Spaghetti Noodles, cooked according to its package direction 1f642.png:)

Sauce:
Saute 1 medium chopped onion in a small amount of butter about 3 tbsp 1f642.png:)

Add 1/2 cup chopped bacon and fry until golden in color. Add 1 cup cubed ham and cook until sugar caramelized 1f642.png:)

Add 2 pcs beef cubes. Add 1 can Cream of Mushroom, 3 pcs Nestle All Purpose Cream. Simmer for 5 minutes with continuous stirring. Add little amount of water para so that it wud not be so thick 1f642.png

Then toss into cooked noodles 1f642.png:)

May serve with parmesan cheese and toasted bacon if desired...

Edited by bernadette
6 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Ok, so I never had Carbonara Sauce before I came to the RP so I don't know if it was something invented here or brought in but if the latter I doubt what I've had here is anything like what it's supposed to taste like.  I don't like sweet sauce on spaghetti. period.  So not really knowing what it's supposed to taste like but looking for a non-sweet white sauce I came up with my own version.  Heat up a can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup.  Mix it with spaghetti or other pasta.  Eat.

My mother would be insulted...haha

• Haha 1
Davaoeno
9 minutes ago, liquido said:

My mother would be insulted...haha

My mother was English- she would have considered that fine dining ! She never met a food she was unable to destroy!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, bernadette said:

Saute 1 medium chopped onion in a small amount of butter about 3 tbsp 

That's a lot of butter.

35 minutes ago, bernadette said:

Add 1 cup cubed ham and cook until sugar caramelized 

What sugar?

• Administrator
Salty Dog
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

That's a lot of butter.

What sugar?

This from the guy who uses cream of mushroom soup to make carbonara sauce which doesn't actually contain cream or mushrooms...:P

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.campbellsfoodservice.com/product/campbells-classic-cream-of-mushroom/

INGREDIENTS

INGREDIENTS: WATER, MUSHROOMS, VEGETABLE OIL (CORN, COTTONSEED, CANOLA, AND/OR SOYBEAN), MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, WHEAT FLOUR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SALT, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, DEHYDRATED CREAM (CREAM [MILK], SOY LECITHIN), YEAST EXTRACT, FLAVORING, DEHYDRATED GARLIC.

ANd 3TBSP butter is a lot for one onion.

Headshot

There are a lot of recipes for carbonara. This is one I like…

½ kilo lean thick-cut bacon (or pancetta) chopped into small pieces

½ to 1 yellow onion finely chopped (amount depending on how well you like onion)

3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

4 or 5 florets of fresh or frozen broccoli, finely chopped (or you can substitute another finely chopped green vegetable, such as swamp spinach, spinach or peas, if you don't like broccoli)

½ kilo fettuccine (you could use any pasta, but fettuccine is my favorite)

1 tsp salt

1 cup heavy cream

½ cup parmesan cheese

4 egg yolks

½ Tsp Worcestershire sauce

Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

Cook bacon until crispy over medium high heat,. When about half-done, add the chopped onion and garlic, and continue cooking until the bacon is done and the onion goes clear. Drain off any excess bacon drippings and set aside, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon grease. Add chopped broccoli, stir in, cover, and remove from heat (it doesn’t take much to cook the broccoli, and you want it bright green)

Set the fettuccine to boil according to the package's directions. Add salt to the water before bringing to a boil.

Whisk cream, Parmesan, egg yolks, and Worcestershire sauce in a medium sized bowl. Whisk in 2 Tsp of warm bacon drippings that had previously been set aside. Whisk until blended and set aside.

Drain the fettuccine and immediately return to pot. Do not rinse! The heat from the fettuccine will cook the egg yolks in the cheese, egg and cream mixture. Carefully add the cheese, egg and cream mixture to the hot fettuccine and toss until the fettuccine is well coated.

Add the bacon mixture, pepper to taste, and toss thoroughly into the fettuccine. Serve. Fresh ground parmesan cheese over the dish completes it. Serves 4.

Obviously, this isn't as simple as tossing some cream of mushroom soup into some pasta, but the results are worth it.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
RogerDat

Depend on how big the onion is.

No need to site sources since everyone on the forum knows where everything came from already.

I tried the stuff at the German restaurant near old bridge ( no longer there), and I did not like their version.

to_dave007
14 hours ago, Headshot said:

There are a lot of recipes for carbonara. This is one I like…

Must be living out here too long.  I read through your recipe and I admit I liked the sound of it.  and then..  without really thinking about it.. I found myself modifying it..  to suit the province.

Went a bit like this....

1) Reviewed the entire list of ingredients to see what I could buy readily in Tuburan, either in the market or at Prince, and to identify what, if anything, I would need to stock from the city..  either Hypermarket (often there)or Rustans (don't go often). The result..  

• would have to stock bacon
  • would likely stock the fettuccini as well.. as I like the Del Monte brand best
  • would need to stock the Parmesan cheese..  but the smallest possible size cuz otherwise we wouldn't use it fast enough.
  • would drop Worcestershire sauce from recipe cuz we'd never finish it 

2) Identified the items I would need to substitute.. 

• Couple red onions instead of yellow onion
  • Pechay (just the green leaves) instead of broccoli..  broccoli would never keep out here.. and the pechay is usually growing in garden

3)  Eliminate leftovers

• Hope I can buy 1/2 kilo bacon..  if not we use up the full packet
  • Change 1 cup heavy cream to 1 small can..  and use all of it
  • See what I can do about the parmesan cheese..  to "use it up"..  don't like leftovers.
  • what will we do with the egg whites..  likely scramble some eggs for breakfast next day.

Ok..  it works..  I think we'll try it..  with these mods.

Hmm..  Wife's never had bacon and home fries for breakfast..  that might work to use up the bacon the next day..  together with scrambled eggs.

Lol..  life's good!! Thanks Bill..  family is gonna love this.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

would likely stock the fettuccini as well.. as I like the Del Monte brand best

If you look there are some really good pasta brands around.  The main give away is that it's a product of Italy.  Del Monte meh.  There's one here that comes in a white package that I really like and can even be eaten without sauce.

to_dave007
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

If you look there are some really good pasta brands around.  The main give away is that it's a product of Italy.  Del Monte meh.  There's one here that comes in a white package that I really like and can even be eaten without sauce.

You are likely right.  Main reason I buy Del Monte is that there was some "other" brand (can't remember what) that we tried that was just $%*(^# AWEFUL..  just like glue.  So I stuck with Del Monte which I know.  But would be happy to try other brands.  I'll look for the white package.