Sign in to follow this  
RBS

Full Medical Insurance for P15k pa

RBS

Interesting. I have never really considered paying an extra AUD25 to waiver the AUD100 excess. Taking into account the cost of processing a claim, this could mean that on average the insurer expect a small claim about every year or two on a policy of this type.

After all, insurance companies generally work on averages. For the both parties it is a gamble. The policy holder should believe that in the medium to longer term he will claim more than the premium costs. Otherwise, put the premium cost into your savings and be self insured.

loosehead

Two more customers for 1Cover today. My mate who lives in Dumaguete took out a year's cover and my wife took out some travel insurance for a trip she is doing this week.

Thanks RBS. I'm almost tempted to share with you the 2 x $10 Sanity vouchers I will be getting for referring them !

Hey when's the next installment in the medical drama ?

aussiedon
Provided you read and understood their policy first, I think you will not be disappointed. I don't know anything about Blue Cross or their premiums. I have been with 1Cover for at least the past five years (including three claims) and have never had any major complaints.

One question. I notice in 1 Cover's Policy Wording, in particular the "We will not pay" part, 1.2 (k) page32. The death, injury or sickness of any person who resides outside of Australia. If you have made claims in the past, are you using an Australian address?

RBS
One question. I notice in 1 Cover's Policy Wording, in particular the "We will not pay" part, 1.2 (k) page32. The death, injury or sickness of any person who resides outside of Australia. If you have made claims in the past, are you using an Australian address?

Interesting point

I suppose it depends on the definition of "resides". In my claims, I have used my Australian address. My work takes me all over Asia. I do spend some time at my Australian address, maybe a few months each year.

If you are staying in the Philippines as a tourist and extending your entry permit every 59 days, I think it would be hard to classify you as residing "outside of Australia". You would just be an Australian on an extended visit to the Philippines. Having a residence visa for the Philippines may be a different matter. It could then be well argued that you were a resident of the Philippines and therefore you reside "outside of Australia".

No legal opinion given here. I'm just an engineer, not a solicitor.

Edited by RBS

aussiedon
Interesting point

I suppose it depends on the definition of "resides". In my claims, I have used my Australian address. My work takes me all over Asia. I do spend some time at my Australian address, maybe a few months each year.

If you are staying in the Philippines as a tourist and extending your entry permit every 59 days, I think it would be hard to classify you as residing "outside of Australia". You would just be an Australian on an extended visit to the Philippines. Having a residence visa for the Philippines may be a different matter. It could then be well argued that you were a resident of the Philippines and therefore you reside "outside of Australia".

Yep. I reside here permanently. Might have to check the cooling off period and try and get my dough back.

aussiedon
Interesting point

1 Cover just advised me that my concerns are for a third party. and assure me I am covered.

I'm happy to know I have medical coverage on a year by year basis for AUD$478 / year.

RBS
1 Cover just advised me that my concerns are for a third party. and assure me I am covered.

I'm happy to know I have medical coverage on a year by year basis for AUD$478 / year.

Great to hear. I felt bad about pointing you in this direction and then you having to try and cancel the policy.

Edited by RBS

aussiedon
Great to hear. I felt bad about pointing you in this direction and then you having to try and cancel the policy.

Thanks again. I dont think we will find a better deal than that. I'm sure plenty more of us will take this up,

Don

rbm

hello RBS and many thanks for your very informative information and the story of your hospital drama. I look forward to sharing your experiences about your Manila hospital stay.

This is my first time on a forum and it was your experience and information that prompted me to write in, thanks for that. I have been living in philippines many years, most times I am located in Cebu how ever I also spend much time in Dumaguete. Also have a motorcycye and love to travel around.

Up until now have no insurance as the general opinion among expats regarding local insurance companies seems to be unless the insurance company pays direct to the hospital it can be difficult to obtain your refund. Further as I am in my 50s the cost is almost prohibative.

Its interesting how 1 travel will view the question of what is resident of the philippines. For me I spend 10 months of the year in philippines, obtaining a balikbayan visa as I am married to a filipina. Currently I am in Aus so tomorrow intend to call 1 travel and discuss this issue. Will post my comments on this forum after I have called as may be useful to other members.

Again thanks for sharing your experiences.

rbm

Hello again,

I have just finished a long phone discussion with 1 cover after some e mails. the mosr relevant part of their reply........

If you live in NZ or Australia and you are a citizen of New Zealand or Australia and you are departing from and returning to NZ or Australia then you can take out cover.

Would you like a quote?

Thanks

The sticky point was where is one living.........As I explained I spend 10 months of the year in philippines.

They agreed that if one takes the cover during his or her stay in NZ or Australia it would be viewed as one leaving for a period of 10 months and cover is accepted.

So, now I am happy thanks to RBS to rest easy knowing that I am fully covered for the unlikely event of any future accident. As I do extensive motor cycle traveling this a comforting thought.

I hope this information is helpful to any others from down under whom may wish to avail of the cover.

aussiedon
Hello again,

I have just finished a long phone discussion with 1 cover after some e mails. the mosr relevant part of their reply........

If you live in NZ or Australia and you are a citizen of New Zealand or Australia and you are departing from and returning to NZ or Australia then you can take out cover.

Would you like a quote?

Thanks

The sticky point was where is one living.........As I explained I spend 10 months of the year in philippines.

They agreed that if one takes the cover during his or her stay in NZ or Australia it would be viewed as one leaving for a period of 10 months and cover is accepted.

So, now I am happy thanks to RBS to rest easy knowing that I am fully covered for the unlikely event of any future accident. As I do extensive motor cycle traveling this a comforting thought.

This is one reply from One Cover " Sorry, if you are there permanently ( Philippines) then we are unable to cover you as if you are a resident there you should have public health care automatically, sorry for the inconvenience"

Another email from One Cover but different person " As you are already overseas we can offer you medical cover only and yes you can extend it while overseas.Would you like the cover"

I hope this information is helpful to any others from down under whom may wish to avail of the cover.

rbm

Agree seems it depends upon whom you are talking to. They all seem to have their own interpretaion of the rules. I asked them to put what they said in writing so as I have a copy. The woman from 1 cover was explaining to me that the cover is a holiday cover and not for people residing overseas on a permanent basis. She also went on to say there is nothing stopping you to extend as and when you want. Sounds good.

If one uses an aussie or kiwi address for the certificate I presume there would be no problem. Today I down loaded a claim form (for emergancy) and it requires a bank account number. Will call them tomorrow and ask if they would credit an account in Philippines.

For sure its the best and most affordable insurance cover I have seen. If anybody out there has any questions I would be happy to put it to them, I will be here until Friday.

• Like 1